Old 06-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Nicolas Boullis

Default missing CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT on hppa, mipsel and armel

Hi,

A few days ago, Daniel Baumann filed a bug against my em8300-source
package for not building properly against the hppa kernel. It appears
that the failure was caused by the lack of CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT in the
hppa kernel (and even CONFIG_I2C). I asked Aurelien Jarno who owns a
hppa station and knows IC, and he thinks that there is no reason why
hppa could not support IC. He even thinks that CONFIG_I2C_CHARDEV and
CONFIG_I2C_TINY_USB counld be useful as well. So is there a good reason
not to enable at least CONFIG_I2C and CONFIG_I2C_ALGOBIT on hppa?

Looking at the build logs, it seems that the same problem also occurs on
mipsel and armel. So same question here.

As for the em8300 modules, portability has been a concern recently, and
they are known to work fine on at least i386, alpha, powerpc, sparc64
and amd64. So although they have not been tested on hppa, armel and
mipsel (at least as far as I know), they are expectedto work fine on
these architectures as well.

Cheers,

Nicolas

PS: I'm no team member; please don't forget to CC replies to me.