Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Bastian Blank

Default Memory model

Hi folks

Several arches (amd64, ia64, powerpc/ppc32, sparc/sparc64, s390)
currently uses a memory model which is not set as default. ia64 defines
DISCONTIGMEM as default, powerpc, sparc64, s390 and x86_64 SPARSEMEM.

How should we handle this as this may have large speed impacts?

Bastian

--
The joys of love made her human and the agonies of love destroyed her.
-- Spock, "Requiem for Methuselah", stardate 5842.8

Old 06-07-2008, 10:33 PM
maximilian attems

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:

> Several arches (amd64, ia64, powerpc/ppc32, sparc/sparc64, s390)
> currently uses a memory model which is not set as default. ia64 defines
> DISCONTIGMEM as default, powerpc, sparc64, s390 and x86_64 SPARSEMEM.

afais fedora defaults to x86_64 SPARSEMEM

also we had this as default since allmost ever,
you'll only find *one* changelog entry by fs for a bootup fixup change.

> How should we handle this as this may have large speed impacts?

keep it unless a mm guru comes with good arg or better benchmarks.

--
maks

Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Frederik Schueler

Hi!

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 12:33:06AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> afais fedora defaults to x86_64 SPARSEMEM
>
> also we had this as default since allmost ever,
> you'll only find *one* changelog entry by fs for a bootup fixup change.

Did the default change to SPARSEMEM some time ago?

Best regards
Frederik Schüler

--
ENOSIG

Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
dann frazier

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 11:11:39PM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Several arches (amd64, ia64, powerpc/ppc32, sparc/sparc64, s390)
> currently uses a memory model which is not set as default. ia64 defines
> DISCONTIGMEM as default, powerpc, sparc64, s390 and x86_64 SPARSEMEM.

After talking to a few ia64 folks, I think its a good idea to switch
ia64 over to SPARSEMEM.

--
dann frazier