Old 09-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Default kaddressbook stopped working (Squeeze)

Hello,

I have a kaddressbook issue on squeeze. When starting kaddressbook, my
configured addressbook

~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf

is not found. There is also no error message displayed, except at startup
kaddressbook says that akonadi is not working correctly, but the message
disappears automatically.

When exiting kaddressbook via the menu, it does not restart.

ps shows that a kaddressbook process still runs. Killing that process manually
makes kaddressbook starting again. The big surprise is that it makes
kaddressbook displaying my addressbook again, until the next restart of my
session.

The akonadi self test shows an error in the mysql area (Test 4). I am
wondering if that may be the root cause of the problem and if it is related to
the mysql update sometime back in squeeze, which indicated that it was not
compatible to previous versions...therefore I am copying the mysql
maintainers.

I am happy to file a bug report, if that is useful. If yes, please let me know
which package I should file it against. If the problem is too painful to debug,
I can also live with the workaround of killing kaddressbug manually after
session startup...

Thanks,
Rainer

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
===============================

Test 1: SUCCESS
--------

Database driver found.
Details: The QtSQL driver 'QMYSQL' is required by your current Akonadi server
configuration and was found on your system.

File content of '/home/dorsch/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
[%General]
Driver=QMYSQL
SizeThreshold=4096
ExternalPayload=false

[QMYSQL]
Name=akonadi
Host=
User=
Password=
Options="UNIX_SOCKET=/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/socket-
dell/mysql.socket"
ServerPath=/usr/sbin/mysqld
StartServer=true

[Debug]
Tracer=null

Test 2: SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server found.
Details: You currently have configured Akonadi to use the MySQL server
'/usr/sbin/mysqld'.
Make sure you have the MySQL server installed, set the correct path and ensure
you have the necessary read and execution rights on the server executable. The
server executable is typically called 'mysqld', its locations varies depending
on the distribution.

Test 3: SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server is executable.
Details: MySQL server found: /usr/sbin/mysqld Ver 5.1.63-0+squeeze1 for
debian-linux-gnu on i486 ((Debian))

Test 4: ERROR
--------

MySQL server log contains errors.
Details: The MySQL server error log file &apos;<a
href='/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err'>/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err</a>&apos;
contains errors.

File content of '/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err':
120915 17:29:44 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120915 17:29:44 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 80.0M
120915 17:29:44 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120915 17:29:45 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 3193613
120915 17:29:45 [Warning] Can't open and lock time zone table: Table
'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
120915 17:29:45 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
'mysql.servers' doesn't exist
120915 17:29:45 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.1.63-0+squeeze1-log' socket:
'/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/socket-dell/mysql.socket' port: 0
(Debian)

Test 5: SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server default configuration found.
Details: The default configuration for the MySQL server was found and is
readable at <a href='/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf'>/etc/akonadi/mysql-
global.conf</a>.

File content of '/etc/akonadi/mysql-global.conf':
#
# Global Akonadi MySQL server settings,
# These settings can be adjusted using $HOME/.config/akonadi/mysql-local.conf
#
# Based on advice by Kris Köhntopp <kris@mysql.com>
#
[mysqld]
skip_grant_tables
skip_networking

# strict query parsing/interpretation
# TODO: make Akonadi work with those settings enabled
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables,strict_all_tables,st rict_error_for_division_by_zero,no_auto_create_use r,no_auto_value_on_zero,no_engine_substitution,no_ zero_date,no_zero_in_date,only_full_group_by,pipes _as_concat
#sql_mode=strict_trans_tables

# use InnoDB for transactions and better crash recovery
default_storage_engine=innodb
# case-insensitive table names, avoids trouble on windows
lower_case_table_names=1
character_set_server=latin1
collation_server=latin1_general_ci
table_cache=200
thread_cache_size=3
log_bin=mysql-bin
expire_logs_days=3
#sync_bin_log=0
# error log file name, relative to datadir
log_error=mysql.err
log_warnings=2
# log all queries, useful for debugging but generates an enormous amount of
data
#log=mysql.full
# log queries slower than n seconds, log file name relative to datadir (for
debugging only)
#log_slow_queries=mysql.slow
#long_query_time=1
# log queries not using indices, debug only, disable for production use
#log_queries_not_using_indexes=1
# maximum blob size
max_allowed_packet=32M
max_connections=256
# makes sense when having the same query multiple times
# makes no sense with prepared statements and/or transactions
query_cache_type=0
query_cache_size=0

innodb_file_per_table=1
innodb_log_buffer_size=1M
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=1M
# messure database size and adjust
# SELECT sum(data_length) as bla, sum(index_length) as blub FROM
information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema not in ("mysql",
"information_schema");
innodb_buffer_pool_size=80M
# size of average write burst, keep Innob_log_waits small, keep
Innodb_buffer_pool_wait_free small (see show global status like "inno%", show
global variables)
innodb_log_file_size=64M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=2

Test 6: SKIP
--------

MySQL server custom configuration not available.
Details: The custom configuration for the MySQL server was not found but is
optional.

Test 7: SUCCESS
--------

MySQL server configuration is usable.
Details: The MySQL server configuration was found at <a
href='/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf'>/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf</a>
and is readable.

File content of '/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/mysql.conf':
#
[...]

Test 8: SUCCESS
--------

akonadictl found and usable
Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was
found and could be executed successfully.
Result:
Akonadi 1.3.1

Test 9: SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi control process registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi control process is registered at D-Bus which typically
indicates it is operational.

Test 10: SUCCESS
--------

Akonadi server process registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Akonadi server process is registered at D-Bus which typically
indicates it is operational.

Test 11: ERROR
--------

Nepomuk search service not registered at D-Bus.
Details: The Nepomuk search service is not registered at D-Bus which typically
means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 12: SKIP
--------

Protocol version check not possible.
Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if the
protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 13: SUCCESS
--------

Resource agents found.
Details: At least one resource agent has been found.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
contactsresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
maildispatcheragent.desktop
mboxresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
mtdummyresource.desktop
nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
pop3resource.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop
Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
birthdaysresource.desktop
contactsresource.desktop
icalresource.desktop
imapresource.desktop
kabcresource.desktop
kcalresource.desktop
knutresource.desktop
kolabproxyresource.desktop
localbookmarksresource.desktop
maildirresource.desktop
maildispatcheragent.desktop
mboxresource.desktop
microblog.desktop
mtdummyresource.desktop
nepomukcalendarfeeder.desktop
nepomukcontactfeeder.desktop
nepomuktagresource.desktop
nntpresource.desktop
notesresource.desktop
pop3resource.desktop
vcarddirresource.desktop
vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to
'/usr/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share'

Test 14: SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current
startup.

Test 15: ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi server error log found.
Details: The Akonadi server did report error during its previous startup into
<a
href='/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old'>/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error.old':
D-Bus session bus went down - quitting

Test 16: SUCCESS
--------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its
current startup.

Test 17: ERROR
--------

Previous Akonadi control error log found.
Details: The Akonadi control process did report error during its previous
startup into <a
href='/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old'>/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old</a>.

File content of '/home/dorsch/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi_control.error.old':
D-Bus session bus went down - quitting

--
Rainer Dorsch

Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Hello,

I have some more details on the problem. I think it is completely unrelated to
mysql, therefore please do not keep the mysql maintainers on copy.

The problem seems to be that akonadi is not started at KDE session
startup, but it is started by kaddressbook and this causes a
malfunction of kaddressbook (?).

A circumvention is to start akonadiserver before kaddressbook:
$ akonadictl start

This may be automated through

~/.kde/Autostart# cat start_akonadi.sh
#!/bin/sh

# kaddressbook starts before this script, so we need to kill it to avoid
hanging kaddressbook processes, which do not allow a new kaddressbook process
to start
kill `ps uaxwww|grep -v grep|grep kaddressbook|cut -c10-15`

~/.kde/Autostart#

Is it expected that akonadiserver is not running after login into KDE? Any
other hint what could cause the issues are welcome.

Thanks,
Rainer

Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM
Kevin Krammer

On Monday, 2012-09-17, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Is it expected that akonadiserver is not running after login into KDE?

Depends on the configuration, e.g. if a Plasma applet uses Akonadi then it will
start Akonadi when it is loaded (which is during login into KDE).

If that is not the case then any first Akonadi client will launch it.

Try removing KAddressBook from your saved session (assuming this is why it
starts before your autostart script) and launch it manually once KDE is
running.

Does this make any difference?

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Hi Kevin,

thanks for your reply.

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 02:08:13 PM Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Monday, 2012-09-17, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Is it expected that akonadiserver is not running after login into
KDE?

> Depends on the configuration, e.g. if a Plasma applet uses Akonadi
then it
> will start Akonadi when it is loaded (which is during login into KDE).
>
> If that is not the case then any first Akonadi client will launch it.

thanks for the clarification, makes a lot of sense not to run akonadi,
when it is not needed.

> Try removing KAddressBook from your saved session (assuming this
is why it
> starts before your autostart script) and launch it manually once KDE
is
> running.
>
> Does this make any difference?

Your assumption is correct, when kaddressbook crashes through
starting akonadi, the process hangs and it seems it is in the saved
session. If I kill the kaddressbook process (kill <pid>), then it is not
started.

With respect to the kaddressbook problem this makes no difference
though:
-> kaddressbook tries to start akonadi
-> akonadi is started, but kaddressbook does not display an
addressbook
-> exiting kaddressbook, leaves a kaddressbook process
-> restarting kaddressbook is only possible if I kill the old process
manually, but then it restart correctly with my addressbook.

Thanks,
Rainer

Old 09-18-2012, 03:35 PM
Kevin Krammer

Hi Rainer,

On Tuesday, 2012-09-18, Rainer Dorsch wrote:

> Your assumption is correct, when kaddressbook crashes through
> starting akonadi, the process hangs and it seems it is in the saved
> session. If I kill the kaddressbook process (kill <pid>), then it is not
> started.
>
> With respect to the kaddressbook problem this makes no difference
> though:
> -> kaddressbook tries to start akonadi
> -> akonadi is started, but kaddressbook does not display an
> addressbook
> -> exiting kaddressbook, leaves a kaddressbook process
> -> restarting kaddressbook is only possible if I kill the old process
> manually, but then it restart correctly with my addressbook.

This sounds like a KAddressBook problem or something KAddressBook "inherits"
through KDE PIMl libraries.
Seems Akonadi starts correctly (simply restarting KAddressBook makes it work),
but KAddressBook seems to hang waiting for that startup.

If you are using the digital clock applet for Plasma, you could try enabling
it's calendar integration just to see if KAddressBook starts correctly if
something else is starting Akonadi before it gets to that.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Hi Kevin,

Am Dienstag 18 September 2012, 17:35:04 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> Hi Rainer,
>
> On Tuesday, 2012-09-18, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > Your assumption is correct, when kaddressbook crashes through
> > starting akonadi, the process hangs and it seems it is in the saved
> > session. If I kill the kaddressbook process (kill <pid>), then it is not
> > started.
> >
> > With respect to the kaddressbook problem this makes no difference
> > though:
> > -> kaddressbook tries to start akonadi
> > -> akonadi is started, but kaddressbook does not display an
> > addressbook
> > -> exiting kaddressbook, leaves a kaddressbook process
> > -> restarting kaddressbook is only possible if I kill the old process
> > manually, but then it restart correctly with my addressbook.
>
> This sounds like a KAddressBook problem or something KAddressBook
> "inherits" through KDE PIMl libraries.
> Seems Akonadi starts correctly (simply restarting KAddressBook makes it
> work), but KAddressBook seems to hang waiting for that startup.

I agree with all you wrote (though I cannot judge the statement on the KDEPIM
libraries)

> If you are using the digital clock applet for Plasma, you could try
> enabling it's calendar integration just to see if KAddressBook starts
> correctly if something else is starting Akonadi before it gets to that.

Hmm...how would I do that? (screenshot attached)

But would it work better than the Autostart script? Or would it prove
something we do not know yet for sure?

Do you suggest to open a bugreport against kaddressbook?

Thanks,
Rainer

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012 schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> > If you are using the digital clock applet for Plasma, you could try
> > enabling it's calendar integration just to see if KAddressBook starts
> > correctly if something else is starting Akonadi before it gets to
> > that.
>
> Hmm...how would I do that? (screenshot attached)

What version of Akonadi and KAddressBook are you using?

I have an option "Ereignisse anzeigen" (show events) in that "Kalender"
tab and that should be the calendar integration.

I am using Debian Sid with:

martin@merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "(akonadi|kdepim|
kaddressbook)"
akonadi-backend-postgresql/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadi-backend-sqlite/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadi-server/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadiconsole/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kaddressbook/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3
kdepim-groupware/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-kresources/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-runtime/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1-5+b1
kdepim-strigi-plugins/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-wizards/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepimlibs-kio-plugins/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
kdepimlibs5-dev/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-calendar4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-contact4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kabc4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kcal4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kde4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kmime4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-notes4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadiprotocolinternals1/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
libkdepim4/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
libsmokeakonadi3/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
ruby-akonadi/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1

Thanks,

Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Sorry for sending twice. Accidentally hit send. (Touchpad of this ThinkPad
T520 is a bit wide to the left where my left hand is.)

Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012 schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> > If you are using the digital clock applet for Plasma, you could try
> > enabling it's calendar integration just to see if KAddressBook starts
> > correctly if something else is starting Akonadi before it gets to
> > that.
>
> Hmm...how would I do that? (screenshot attached)

What version of Akonadi and KAddressBook are you using?

I have an option "Ereignisse anzeigen" (show events) in that "Kalender"
tab and that should be the calendar integration.

I am using Debian Sid with:

martin@merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "(akonadi|kdepim|
kaddressbook)"
akonadi-backend-postgresql/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadi-backend-sqlite/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadi-server/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
akonadiconsole/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kaddressbook/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3
kdepim-groupware/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-kresources/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-runtime/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1-5+b1
kdepim-strigi-plugins/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepim-wizards/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
kdepimlibs-kio-plugins/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
kdepimlibs5-dev/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-calendar4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-contact4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kabc4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kcal4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kde4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-kmime4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadi-notes4/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
libakonadiprotocolinternals1/sid uptodate 1.7.2-1
libkdepim4/sid uptodate 4:4.4.11.1+l10n-3+b1
libsmokeakonadi3/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1
ruby-akonadi/sid uptodate 4:4.8.4-1

I bet slighly older ones as you use Squeeze.

> But would it work better than the Autostart script? Or would it prove
> something we do not know yet for sure?

If the autostart script works, I would use that.

> Do you suggest to open a bugreport against kaddressbook?

Hmm, upstream KDE is already at way newer versions for KDEPIM, so an
upstream bug report does not make sense.

A Debian bugreport IMHO does not make much sense either anymore unless its
for Debian Wheezy.

While it would be nice if such a bug would be fixed for Squeeze as well, I
think the focus of the Debian Qt/KDE team that lacks manpower at the
moment is solely on gettings things in shape for Wheezy. But I better let
someone from the Debian speak for themselves.

I recommend to just use your autostart script and keep in mind that you
have one. When you upgrade to Wheezy you can try without it and if it
works then just remove that workaround.

Thanks,

Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Rainer Dorsch

Hello,

Am Wednesday 19 September 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Sorry for sending twice. Accidentally hit send. (Touchpad of this ThinkPad
> T520 is a bit wide to the left where my left hand is.)
>
> Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012 schrieb Rainer Dorsch:
> > > If you are using the digital clock applet for Plasma, you could try
> > > enabling it's calendar integration just to see if KAddressBook starts
> > > correctly if something else is starting Akonadi before it gets to
> > > that.
> >
> > Hmm...how would I do that? (screenshot attached)
>
> What version of Akonadi and KAddressBook are you using?

I am not at the computer right now, but it is an uptodate squeeze
installation.

Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch