FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

I've recently upgraded all the Qt packages 4:4.8.2+dfsg-1 to
4:4.8.2+dfsg-2 and only today I restarted my computer. After that KMail
and Kontact didn't start anymore. From what I could tell with strace,
both of them were blocked in a system call (select or epoll, I think).
After reinstalling all the old Qt packages, things are fine again.

I've looked for a bug report, but didn't find anything related. I'm
happy that I've got things back to a working state again and I don't
have much time for trial-and-error bug hunting right now, however if
anyone can suggest a more focussed strategy for uearthing the cause of
the problem, I might give it a try.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209042058.53374.michael.lists@schuerig.de">http ://lists.debian.org/201209042058.53374.michael.lists@schuerig.de
 
Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Benjamin Eikel
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

Hello Michael,

Am Dienstag, 4. September 2012 um 20:58:53 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> I've recently upgraded all the Qt packages 4:4.8.2+dfsg-1 to
> 4:4.8.2+dfsg-2 and only today I restarted my computer. After that KMail
> and Kontact didn't start anymore. From what I could tell with strace,
> both of them were blocked in a system call (select or epoll, I think).
> After reinstalling all the old Qt packages, things are fine again.

I do not see problems with these package versions and Kontact. Starting works
without problems for me.

Kind regards
Benjamin

>
> I've looked for a bug report, but didn't find anything related. I'm
> happy that I've got things back to a working state again and I don't
> have much time for trial-and-error bug hunting right now, however if
> anyone can suggest a more focussed strategy for uearthing the cause of
> the problem, I might give it a try.
>
> Michael


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209042155.25285.debian@eikel.org">http://lists.debian.org/201209042155.25285.debian@eikel.org
 
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

On Tuesday 04 September 2012, Benjamin Eikel wrote:
> Hello Michael,
>
> Am Dienstag, 4. September 2012 um 20:58:53 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > I've recently upgraded all the Qt packages 4:4.8.2+dfsg-1 to
> > 4:4.8.2+dfsg-2 and only today I restarted my computer. After that
> > KMail and Kontact didn't start anymore. From what I could tell
> > with strace, both of them were blocked in a system call (select or
> > epoll, I think). After reinstalling all the old Qt packages,
> > things are fine again.
>
> I do not see problems with these package versions and Kontact.
> Starting works without problems for me.

Did you restart your computer since installing those packages? For me
the trouble only started after that.

I have a hunch that my problem is related to DBus in some way. As far as
I can tell, only Kontact and KMail were affected. Notably, for these two
applications only single instances are started and I think this is
handled through DBus. My rather shaky hypothesis is that in my case the
applications were blocking on a call to DBus while trying to find out if
there was already a running instance.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209042328.25128.michael.lists@schuerig.de">http ://lists.debian.org/201209042328.25128.michael.lists@schuerig.de
 
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

On Tue 04 Sep 2012 18:28:24 Michael Schuerig escribió:
[snip]
> Did you restart your computer since installing those packages? For me
> the trouble only started after that.
>
> I have a hunch that my problem is related to DBus in some way. As far as
> I can tell, only Kontact and KMail were affected. Notably, for these two
> applications only single instances are started and I think this is
> handled through DBus. My rather shaky hypothesis is that in my case the
> applications were blocking on a call to DBus while trying to find out if
> there was already a running instance.

Qt dfsg-2 do not introduce any change that could case this. On the other hand,
so far you were the only one to had this problem. Check that your system is
actually not broken.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
http://www.tiraecol.net/modules/comic/comic.php?content_id=162

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

On Tuesday 04 September 2012, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Tue 04 Sep 2012 18:28:24 Michael Schuerig escribió:
> [snip]
>
> > Did you restart your computer since installing those packages? For
> > me the trouble only started after that.
> >
> > I have a hunch that my problem is related to DBus in some way. As
> > far as I can tell, only Kontact and KMail were affected. Notably,
> > for these two applications only single instances are started and I
> > think this is handled through DBus. My rather shaky hypothesis is
> > that in my case the applications were blocking on a call to DBus
> > while trying to find out if there was already a running instance.
>
> Qt dfsg-2 do not introduce any change that could case this. On the
> other hand, so far you were the only one to had this problem. Check
> that your system is actually not broken.

Well -- reinstalling all those dfsg-1 packages did unbreak my system. Or
so it seems. Do you have any suggestion what else might have caused the
symptoms I was seeing?

If I find the time, I may try my luck with the dfsg-2 packages again,
but probably not until the weekend.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209050006.23200.michael.lists@schuerig.de">http ://lists.debian.org/201209050006.23200.michael.lists@schuerig.de
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

On Tue 04 Sep 2012 19:06:22 Michael Schuerig escribió:
[snip]
> Well -- reinstalling all those dfsg-1 packages did unbreak my system. Or
> so it seems. Do you have any suggestion what else might have caused the
> symptoms I was seeing?
>
> If I find the time, I may try my luck with the dfsg-2 packages again,
> but probably not until the weekend.

Only broken packages. The changes between dfsg-1 and dfsg-2 should not trigger
that (and lot of use have been used -2 since a while).

Try again in the weekend. If you can reproduce it, please add backtraces.

Kinds regards, Lisandro.

--
If little green men land in your back yard, hide any little green women
you've got in the house.
Mike Harding, "The Armchair Anarchist's Almanac"

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/
 
Old 09-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

Am Dienstag 04.09.2012, 20:58:53 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> I've recently upgraded all the Qt packages 4:4.8.2+dfsg-1 to
> 4:4.8.2+dfsg-2 and only today I restarted my computer. After that KMail
> and Kontact didn't start anymore. From what I could tell with strace,
> both of them were blocked in a system call (select or epoll, I think).
> After reinstalling all the old Qt packages, things are fine again.
>
> I've looked for a bug report, but didn't find anything related. I'm
> happy that I've got things back to a working state again and I don't
> have much time for trial-and-error bug hunting right now, however if
> anyone can suggest a more focussed strategy for uearthing the cause of
> the problem, I might give it a try.

Are you sure you didn't install/upgrade anything else? I have a similar
problem where sometimes, after I started KDE, kontact/kmail don't open the UI.
Sometimes, starting them again would help. Other times, killing
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent would result in them suddenly appearing.

The second workaround led me to believe that the kdepim version is just too
old and somehow conflicts with akonadi...
Somehow, not using kontact anymore and starting the individual applications
one after the other seems to have helped - I haven't had this problem in a
while.

--Reinhold


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209050044.08234.rrumberger@web.de">http://lists.debian.org/201209050044.08234.rrumberger@web.de
 
Old 09-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Michael Schuerig
 
Default Kontact, KMail won't start with Qt dfsg-2 packages

On Wednesday 05 September 2012, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> Am Dienstag 04.09.2012, 20:58:53 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > I've recently upgraded all the Qt packages 4:4.8.2+dfsg-1 to
> > 4:4.8.2+dfsg-2 and only today I restarted my computer. After that
> > KMail and Kontact didn't start anymore. From what I could tell
> > with strace, both of them were blocked in a system call (select or
> > epoll, I think). After reinstalling all the old Qt packages,
> > things are fine again.
> >
> > I've looked for a bug report, but didn't find anything related. I'm
> > happy that I've got things back to a working state again and I
> > don't have much time for trial-and-error bug hunting right now,
> > however if anyone can suggest a more focussed strategy for
> > uearthing the cause of the problem, I might give it a try.
>
> Are you sure you didn't install/upgrade anything else?

To the contrary, I'm sure that I did upgrade other packages as they have
become available in unstable. Putting the blame on Qt was not my first
idea at all. At first, I just restarted my computer, but that didn't
change anything, Kontact and KMail still blocked when launched. Then,
after reinstalling the older dfsg-1 Qt packages and rebooting again,
everything worked again.

Sorry for the sparse details, my first concern was to get my computer in
order again, I wasn't trying to systematically track down a bug.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de
http://www.schuerig.de/michael/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201209050846.57475.michael.lists@schuerig.de">http ://lists.debian.org/201209050846.57475.michael.lists@schuerig.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org