Old 07-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Grześ Andruszkiewicz

Default NVidia drivers in KDE

Hi,

Recently my home PC (running an up-to-date Debian Testing) got slower
and slower. As usual, I suspect the nVidia drivers. Probably the
single worst performer is Google Chrome (installed from Google
repository), where changing tabs takes about 2 seconds. Does anyone
have similar issues? What would be a workaround to fix them?

My laptop with Intel graphics works perfectly fine.

Regards,
Grzes

Old 07-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Marco Valli

In data martedì 10 luglio 2012 11:24:31, Grześ Andruszkiewicz ha scritto:
> What would be a workaround to fix them?

Try this: Desktop effects--->Advanced--->DESELECT use vsync--->restart kde
regards

--
Marco Valli

Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM
ares

Hi,

I had the same problem, try running this command, it helps with chrome at
least...

nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=0

Regards,
Marek

Old 07-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Grześ Andruszkiewicz

Hi,

Marco,
I did the change, but I haven't observed any difference...

Marek,
I can confirm that it does work for Chrome.... but it breaks Iceweasel
(the performance drops in a very similar level to Chrome at different
settings)

Do you know if all nVidia cards have these issues? I was planning to
upgrade, but the situation makes me wonder if it is worth sticking
with nVidia...

Regards,
Grzes

Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 02:38:16PM +0100, Grześ Andruszkiewicz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marco,
> I did the change, but I haven't observed any difference...
>
> Marek,
> I can confirm that it does work for Chrome.... but it breaks Iceweasel
> (the performance drops in a very similar level to Chrome at different
> settings)
>
> Do you know if all nVidia cards have these issues? I was planning to
> upgrade, but the situation makes me wonder if it is worth sticking
> with nVidia...
As nobody seems to know whether it's a cairo bug, nvidia driver bug or
something else, nobody can tell you which configurations are affected, but
downgrading cairo to 1.10 semms to fix the problem for everyone.

--
WBR, wRAR

Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

On Lun 23 Jul 2012 10:38:16 Grześ Andruszkiewicz escribió:
> Hi,
>
> Marco,
> I did the change, but I haven't observed any difference...
>
> Marek,
> I can confirm that it does work for Chrome.... but it breaks Iceweasel
> (the performance drops in a very similar level to Chrome at different
> settings)
>
> Do you know if all nVidia cards have these issues? I was planning to
> upgrade, but the situation makes me wonder if it is worth sticking
> with nVidia...

Well, I have been using radeon boards for some years now. As I don't do games
nor very special things, in the long time I have a very nice experience.

In other words, I have ditched NVidia for the radeons with FLOSS drivers.

--
No hay preguntas tontas, solo tontos que no preguntan.
personaje, en un mail del LugFi.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/

Old 07-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Grześ Andruszkiewicz

Hi,

What is the best way to downgrade cairo? I can't see a single cairo
package and the old version doesn't seem to be in the repos any way...

Cheers,
Grzegorz

Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Andrey Rahmatullin

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 06:47:47PM +0100, Grześ Andruszkiewicz wrote:
> What is the best way to downgrade cairo?
debsnap

--
WBR, wRAR

Old 07-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Marco Valli

In data martedì 10 luglio 2012 11:24:31, Grześ Andruszkiewicz ha scritto:
> What would be a workaround to fix them?

Try new drivers (304.30-1) in experimental.
regards

--
Marco Valli