-   -   kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/676610-kdepim-runtime-4-8-4-experimental-call-testing.html)

Modestas Vainius 06-24-2012 07:32 PM

kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing

Hello,

I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself yet). I
never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with kdepim-runtime 4.8.4
but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore, I started wondering if
kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a good combination for wheezy
especially if it brings some benefits to the table. We still have a couple of
days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I would be grateful if some brave users
tested this combination on their systems and reported any problems or success
stories.

* Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
kontact work as expected.
* Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
* Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
* Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.

We need this information in order to determine if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 is
worth a risk at all.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/05/msg00097.html

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Felix Lenders 06-25-2012 07:33 AM

kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing

Hi Modestas,

Modestas Vainius wrote:

> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore,
> I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a
> good combination for wheezy especially if it brings some benefits to the
> table. We still have a couple of days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I
> would be grateful if some brave users tested this combination on their
> systems and reported any problems or success stories.

This is great news. I gave it a try and so far everything that worked
previously still works as well. And even more!

> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.

I tried to get OwnCloud to work. The Configration of the Akonadi DAV
Groupware Resource in Systemsettings worked very well out of the box and
KAdressbook also detected the Contacts. Perfect. Unfortunatelly, I am unable
to get KOrganizer recognize the new Kalender. Up to now I didn't use
KOrganzier at all. I couldn't find any Calender Selection Window in
KOrganzier, so I deleted the korganzier files in .kde and found it after a
restart of KOrganizer. If I then try to add the appropriate Calender and
select Akonadi-Resouce in the following Window, I am unable to find the
OwnCloud Calender. I'd be glad if anyone has a hint.

Thank you very much!
Felix

Valerio Passini 06-25-2012 08:24 AM

domenica 24 giugno 2012 Vainius ha scritto:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore,
> I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a
> good combination for wheezy especially if it brings some benefits to the
> table. We still have a couple of days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I
> would be grateful if some brave users tested this combination on their
> systems and reported any problems or success stories.
>
> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.
> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.
>
> We need this information in order to determine if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 is
> worth a risk at all.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/05/msg00097.html

luned́ 25 giugno 2012

Kontact took a little more to run but it started, almost everything is working
out-of-the-box (it seems like a migration tool has done the magic) my google
calendar and my google contacts are in place, just notes are having troubles.
I'm going to look if I can fix them.

Valerio

Valerio Passini 06-25-2012 08:39 AM

kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing

> luned́ 25 giugno 2012
>
> Kontact took a little more to run but it started, almost everything is
> working out-of-the-box (it seems like a migration tool has done the magic)
> my google calendar and my google contacts are in place, just notes are
> having troubles. I'm going to look if I can fix them.
>
> Valerio

luned́ 25 giugno 2012

Notes are not migrating properly, everytime kontact is started notes try to
migrate and it create a new resource inside akonadi that has something wrong.
This new resource translates into a new folder that has a maildir structure
inside .local/notes. After that, knotes shows the notes I already have and
when I create a new one, knotes changes the content of notes.ics inside
.kde/share/apps/knotes, indeed it doesn't use the new format. Summarizing,
everytime I start kontact, a new empty maildir folder is added to .local/notes
and so a new akonadi resource that are not used at all.

Valerio

Diederik de Haas 06-25-2012 10:23 AM

On Sunday 24 June 2012 21:32:29 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.

So far it works VERY nice o/
I don't have to keep 2 calendars anymore, a change in Kontact appears on my
owncloud calendar (whichever of my 3 I use) and also on my Android phone and
tablet. Or a change in a calendar on my tablet appears magically in Kontact. Or
... any other combination there is :)
/me dances the jiggle

I'll keep testing it and report issues if I find them, but you've already made my
day!

Cheers,
Diederik

Josep Febrer 06-25-2012 10:26 AM

kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing

A Diumenge, 24 de juny de 2012 21:32:29, Modestas Vainius va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore,
> I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a
> good combination for wheezy especially if it brings some benefits to the
> table. We still have a couple of days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I
> would be grateful if some brave users tested this combination on their
> systems and reported any problems or success stories.

Great news!

> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.
> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.

I've installed it and I had no problems with KMail, Kaddressbook and
Korganizer, or all of them trough Kontact.

Also I could finally use my davical calendar via Akonadi Caldav support, and
contacts with Owncloud via Akonadii Carddav.

For what I tested it worked very well, if I found any issues I'll let you
know.

I can finally ditch Thundebird with Lightning for my calendar and tasks needs

Diederik de Haas 06-25-2012 10:31 AM

On Monday 25 June 2012 09:33:46 Felix Lenders wrote:
> I couldn't find any Calender Selection Window in KOrganzier

It's in the bottom-left part of KOrganizer, you may have to move your mouse
around in that area, since (apparently) it's not (clearly) visible in all cases,
so look for a handle to enlarge that section

> If I then try to add the appropriate Calender and
> select Akonadi-Resouce in the following Window, I am unable to find the
> OwnCloud Calender. I'd be glad if anyone has a hint.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but in the Resource Configuration
screen there's a section "Akonadi Resource Settings", which is empty in my case,
but if you click on "Manage Calendar Sources", you should see (or able to add)
your ownCloud Calendar Source.

If that's not what you meant, could you rephrase your issue with (optionally)
screenshots or sth like that?

Diederik

Felix Lenders 06-25-2012 11:57 AM

Diederik de Haas wrote:

>> If I then try to add the appropriate Calender and
>> select Akonadi-Resouce in the following Window, I am unable to find the
>> OwnCloud Calender. I'd be glad if anyone has a hint.
>
> I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but in the Resource
> Configuration screen there's a section "Akonadi Resource Settings", which
> is empty in my case, but if you click on "Manage Calendar Sources", you
> should see (or able to add) your ownCloud Calendar Source.

Exactly. I click on "Manage Calendar Sources" and can then see the ownCloud
Source, I can also click on it. But I cannot add it. I have no idea why...

Felix

Diederik de Haas 06-25-2012 12:09 PM

On Monday 25 June 2012 13:57:19 Felix Lenders wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but in the Resource
> > Configuration screen there's a section "Akonadi Resource Settings", which
> > is empty in my case, but if you click on "Manage Calendar Sources", you
> > should see (or able to add) your ownCloud Calendar Source.
>
> Exactly. I click on "Manage Calendar Sources" and can then see the
> ownCloud Source, I can also click on it. But I cannot add it. I have no
> idea why...

If you want to add a calendar to Korganizer/Kontact and then see it in ownCloud
... I haven't found a way for that (yet?).
But if you add a calendar to ownCloud, then (after sync) it will show up in
Korganizer/Kontact.

HTH,
Diederik

Marco Valli 06-25-2012 12:35 PM

In data domenica 24 giugno 2012 21:32:29, Modestas Vainius ha scritto:
> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.

Kontact, korganizer, kmail and address book works fine here.
regards

--
Marco Valli