Old 06-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Felix Lenders

Default kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in experimental, call for testing

Diederik de Haas wrote:

> On Monday 25 June 2012 13:57:19 Felix Lenders wrote:
>> > I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but in the Resource
>> > Configuration screen there's a section "Akonadi Resource Settings",
>> > which is empty in my case, but if you click on "Manage Calendar
>> > Sources", you should see (or able to add) your ownCloud Calendar
>> > Source.
>>
>> Exactly. I click on "Manage Calendar Sources" and can then see the
>> ownCloud Source, I can also click on it. But I cannot add it. I have no
>> idea why...
>
> If you want to add a calendar to Korganizer/Kontact and then see it in
> ownCloud ... I haven't found a way for that (yet?).
> But if you add a calendar to ownCloud, then (after sync) it will show up
> in Korganizer/Kontact.

No, it is already in Owncloud. It won't show up for me in Korganizer, but it
shows up in KAdressbook.

Felix

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Kevin Krammer

On Monday, 2012-06-25, Valerio Passini wrote:
> > lunedì 25 giugno 2012
> >
> > Kontact took a little more to run but it started, almost everything is
> > working out-of-the-box (it seems like a migration tool has done the
> > magic) my google calendar and my google contacts are in place, just
> > notes are having troubles. I'm going to look if I can fix them.
> >
> > Valerio
>
> lunedì 25 giugno 2012
>
> Notes are not migrating properly, everytime kontact is started notes try to
> migrate and it create a new resource inside akonadi that has something
> wrong. This new resource translates into a new folder that has a maildir
> structure inside .local/notes. After that, knotes shows the notes I
> already have and when I create a new one, knotes changes the content of
> notes.ics inside .kde/share/apps/knotes, indeed it doesn't use the new
> format. Summarizing, everytime I start kontact, a new empty maildir folder
> is added to .local/notes and so a new akonadi resource that are not used
> at all.

Since the KNotes application is not part of kdepim-runtime but of kdepim, it
will still use the old way of data access.
However, in contrast to addressbook and calendar access, notes most likely
does not have a compatibility plugin, thus will always restore its old access
configuration, this retriggering migration.

I think it should be possible to disable the migrator for a certain type by
installing a respective global config. Future updates would have to
remove/alter that one though, to re-enable it.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 06-25-2012, 07:26 PM
Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso

On Sunday June 24 2012, Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore,
> I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a
> good combination for wheezy especially if it brings some benefits to the
> table. We still have a couple of days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I
> would be grateful if some brave users tested this combination on their
> systems and reported any problems or success stories.
>
> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.
> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.

I have tried the new package interested on this cloudy thing.

- kontact/akregator/notebooks: No change so far.

- kadressbug: I used to have problems with akonadi resources, local vcf file
worked well. With the new package, I can set up an akonadi resource, using
carddav (owncloud), still I had to try a couple of times to create the
resource. Now, it seems that it works better. Autofilling of adress in kmail
bar also works.

- korganizer: I had some issues adding/managing resources, problems that I
already had. I made a backup and erased everything to start from zero. When
importing a calendar I was given the option to merge it into one of the
existing calendars. The problem was the the option to choose the calendar was
given to every(?) event of the calendar. But without showing the specific
event...

Offline use of caldav/carddav also works without problems. I have added data
to them and I will check tomorrow that the sync works.

I have added akonadi resources for pop3 imap accounts, of course I have no
program to make use of the resources, but I can ckeck in akonadiconsole that
the syncronization is made, apparently without problems.

Overall I am happy with it. Still I experienced some rough edges with
addressbook and calendar, specially managing old/new resources, but I also
experienced issues with 4.4.11

Best regards,

Luis

Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 24. Juni 2012 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me).
> Therefore, I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim
> 4.4.11.1 might be a good combination for wheezy especially if it
> brings some benefits to the table. We still have a couple of days
> until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I would be grateful if some brave
> users tested this combination on their systems and reported any
> problems or success stories.
>
> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.

Seems okay so far. I had the kresource migrator running again at next
login and it created an adress book for std.vcf in .kde/share/apps…, while
I was already using the ~/.local/share/contacts stuff. But other than that…

Ma

> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.

Auto completion in KMail from addressbook still does not work. It once
worked, but it doesn´t now.

> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as
> expected.

Did not come to any of these yet.

Ciao,

Old 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag, 25. Juni 2012 schrieb Luis Felipe Tabera Alonso:
> - kadressbug: I used to have problems with akonadi resources, local vcf
> file worked well. With the new package, I can set up an akonadi
> resource, using carddav (owncloud), still I had to try a couple of
> times to create the resource. Now, it seems that it works better.
> Autofilling of adress in kmail bar also works.

Now I wonder whats the difference between my and your setup. For me it
doesn´t yet work. Once I manage to take more time I will have a closer
look at this.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Valerio Passini

lunedì 25 giugno 2012 Krammer ha scritto:

> Since the KNotes application is not part of kdepim-runtime but of kdepim,
> it will still use the old way of data access.
> However, in contrast to addressbook and calendar access, notes most likely
> does not have a compatibility plugin, thus will always restore its old
> access configuration, this retriggering migration.
>
> I think it should be possible to disable the migrator for a certain type by
> installing a respective global config. Future updates would have to
> remove/alter that one though, to re-enable it.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

martedì 26 giugno 2012

It's not the ideal solution, but better than have this .local/notes folder
growing insanely.
Bye

Valerio

Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Felix Lenders

Felix Lenders wrote:

> Diederik de Haas wrote:

>>> Exactly. I click on "Manage Calendar Sources" and can then see the
>>> ownCloud Source, I can also click on it. But I cannot add it. I have no
>>> idea why...
>>
>> If you want to add a calendar to Korganizer/Kontact and then see it in
>> ownCloud ... I haven't found a way for that (yet?).
>> But if you add a calendar to ownCloud, then (after sync) it will show up
>> in Korganizer/Kontact.
>
> No, it is already in Owncloud. It won't show up for me in Korganizer, but
> it shows up in KAdressbook.

Now it works for me. I gave it a new try and removed the Akonadi-GroupDAV
Entry for Owncloud and added it again, but this time not via the System
Settings Dialog but via the Selector in KOrganizer. Turns out it did the
trick. Don't know what the problem was, though.

Felix

Old 06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
chymian

hi,

glad to hear, that there is a chance to finally get xxxDAV
thx a lot.

Am Sonntag, 24. Juni 2012, 21:32:29 schrieb Modestas Vainius:
> Hello,
>

> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.
> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.

starting with a new install in a VM:

akonadi-backend-sqlite: does not install in ~/.config/.akonadi/akonadiserverrc. (still mysql there)!
connected PIM to my sogo-server:
initial configuration ok.
shows callender & addressbooks in resources.
connect to sogo via https ok.

in KONTACT:
its shows the calender & the entries.
cannot create an entry, which get synced back.
and yes, the read-only-flag is unchecked.

addressbooK:
does show both addressbooks (system & user).
does not show ANY entries in either addr-book. - stays complete empty.

so, no luck here

> We need this information in order to determine if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 is
> worth a risk at all.

in my opinion, there are a lot of use-cases which cannot be handled by kdepim-runtime 4.4.x. and any effort, to get 4.8.x in is
higly appreceated.

thx a lot

guenter

Old 06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2012-06-26, chymian <chymian@gmx.net> wrote:
> akonadi-backend-sqlite: does not install in ~/.config/.akonadi/akonadiserverrc. (still mysql there)!

sqlite backend does not do *anything* automatic. You need to do the
manual configuration yourself. Just like postgresql.

if you want to have it actually work out of the box, use the recommended
mysql backend.

/Sune

Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Leopold Palomo Avellaneda

A Diumenge, 24 de juny de 2012, Modestas Vainius va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> I have uploaded kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 to experimental (no kdepim itself
> yet). I never expected kdepim 4.4.11 (esp. kmail 1) to work with
> kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 but apparently, it does (at least for me). Therefore,
> I started wondering if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 + kdepim 4.4.11.1 might be a
> good combination for wheezy especially if it brings some benefits to the
> table. We still have a couple of days until Wheezy freeze (June 30) so I
> would be grateful if some brave users tested this combination on their
> systems and reported any problems or success stories.
>
> * Test if kmail, korganizer, ktimetracker, address book and the whole
> kontact work as expected.
> * Test if maybe any of your pet bugs have been fixed.
> * Test if any other features like e.g. ownCloud (hi
> Diederik! [1]) or various groupware support started to work magically.
> * Test if external akonadi resources like e.g. googledata work as expected.
>
> We need this information in order to determine if kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 is
> worth a risk at all.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/05/msg00097.html

I have tested it with Sogo and I have had a mixture of good result and bad
result.

As good result, kaddressbook works perfectly with the several contacts list
that i have in my sogo server. I can create, copy and delete contacts without
any problem. The only thing is that I'm not been able to see it when I create
a new mail. I just seen my original resources. Any idea?

As bad result, although I can see my calendars in korganizer, as I have
several calendars, I have not been able to create an event in one specific . It
seems as I have to have a global configuration for all the resource. However, I
think that I would need more test.

My opinion is that it's a good point to have kdepim-runtime 4.8.4 in Wheezy,
but it's a pity that kdepim2 will not be in our next stable version.

Some of the kde-qt maintainers will upload to backports kdepim2 when Wheezy
will be released?

Regards,

Leo

Linux User 152692 PGP: 0xF944807E