Old 06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default KDE-update overwrote my settings

Hi list,

I am running debian testing, Sadly to tell, that my latest KDE update did
overwrite my personal setting in kde. This included the following things:

- wallpaper was set to standard

- all widgets were gone and had to reactivate manually (although, they were
shown as installed)

- icon size in taskbar is changed to big (48) and cannot decreased any more

- powerdevil: option profiles disappeared (I already sent a bugreport for this)

I suppose, this should not happen, as one of debians rules is, never to change
personal settings. I suppose, this is a bug! I would be happy to file a
bugreport, but I do not know, what is responsible for it. I guess, it is the
packagers team, but I cannot prove.

Does someone know more? Besides, this happens on all of my machines (amd64 and
i386).

Thank you for reading this.

Hans

Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2012-06-23, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> - wallpaper was set to standard
>
> - all widgets were gone and had to reactivate manually (although, they were
> shown as installed)

I have upgraded a couple of machines and haven't seen those.

> - powerdevil: option profiles disappeared (I already sent a bugreport for this)

Looks like power profiles is configured a lot different now.
http://old.nabble.com/The-future-of-Power-Management---together-with-Activities-td32574372.html

> I suppose, this should not happen, as one of debians rules is, never to change
> personal settings.

I think the two first are bugs, but only ones that will be solved if
they can be reproduced. The last one seems like a new interesting
feature.

And sometimes upgrades does change bits and pieces in the configuration
parameters they actually accept.

/Sune

Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 23/06/2012 at 14:43, "Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> - wallpaper was set to standard
>
> - all widgets were gone and had to reactivate manually (although, they
> were shown as installed)

I have not had this issue until I asked for it - I decided that KDE upgrade is
good opportunity to clean up ~/.kde/ dir a little. After upgrade I have moved
~/.kde to ~/.kde old and copied some config files from old one to new. This is
only then when Plasma restored it's default wallpaper and all my plasmoids
disappeared, but I am sure it was caused by not copying
SomeImportantConfigFile.

Anyway, I was able to restore part of plasmoids by checking content of
~/.kde/share/config/activitymanagerrc and plasma-desktop-appletsrc (in the same
dir). They are pretty understandable if you are familiar with manual config file
editing. I recommend to modify them when KDE is not running.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 06-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Alejandro Ramn Ballesta

Hi,

this happened to me as well, but I solved it by upgrading to sid so I assumed
it was some incomplete migration into testing...

greetings,
Alejandro.

El Sbado, 23 de junio de 2012 14:43:08 Hans-J. Ullrich escribi: