Old 06-18-2012, 09:38 AM
"Andreas v. Heydwolff"

Default kalarm broken by mysql upgrade?

Hi,

I have KDE 4.8.4 here on a Wheezy/sid box. kalarm had been crashing, my
compiled version of a few weeks ago worked. Upgraded it now to the fixed
kalarm (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671619) but
perhaps the problem was the upgrade to mysql 5.5. kalarm does not crash
any more, but alarms can no longer be saved ("choose in which calendar
to save the alarm", doesn't accept input), and reminders come up without
an option to defer them. This is also true for my previous kalarm
version compiled from source.

Configured Akonadi resources are Personal Contacts, Local Folders, and
Kolab (the last more out of curiosity, loaded it ages ago and I don't
think I am using it). Alarms have been working well up to now.

Testing my Akonadi "internal MYSQL server" yields the error log below.
Any ideas how to fix this without losing all alarms are highly
appreciated -

Regards,
Andreas

--
# ~/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/mysql.err' contains errors:

120614 12:43:39 [Note] Plugin 'FEDERATED' is disabled.
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: The InnoDB memory heap is disabled
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: Mutexes and rw_locks use GCC atomic builtins
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: Compressed tables use zlib 1.2.3
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: Using Linux native AIO
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: Initializing buffer pool, size = 80.0M
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: Completed initialization of buffer pool
120614 12:43:39 InnoDB: highest supported file format is Barracuda.
120614 12:43:41 InnoDB: Warning: allocated tablespace 12, old maximum was 0
120614 12:43:41 InnoDB: Waiting for the background threads to start
120614 12:43:42 InnoDB: 1.1.8 started; log sequence number 105471878
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_current' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_history' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_history_long' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'setup_consumers' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'setup_instruments' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table 'performance_schema'.'setup_timers'
has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'performance_timers' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table 'performance_schema'.'threads' has
the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_by_thre ad_by_event_name' has
the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_by_inst ance' has the wrong
structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'events_waits_summary_global_ by_event_name' has the
wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_summary_by_event_name' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_summary_by_instance' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'mutex_instances' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'rwlock_instances' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'cond_instances' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [ERROR] Native table
'performance_schema'.'file_instances' has the wrong structure
120614 12:43:42 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '5.5.24-3' socket:
'/home/avh/.local/share/akonadi/socket-buche/mysql.socket' port: 0
(Debian)

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM
Xavier Brochard

Andreas v. Heydwolff wrote:
> I have KDE 4.8.4 here on a Wheezy/sid box. kalarm had been crashing, my
> compiled version of a few weeks ago worked. Upgraded it now to the fixed
> kalarm (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=671619) but
> perhaps the problem was the upgrade to mysql 5.5. kalarm does not crash
> any more, but alarms can no longer be saved ("choose in which calendar
> to save the alarm", doesn't accept input), and reminders come up without
> an option to defer them. This is also true for my previous kalarm
> version compiled from source.
>
> Configured Akonadi resources are Personal Contacts, Local Folders, and
> Kolab (the last more out of curiosity, loaded it ages ago and I don't
> think I am using it). Alarms have been working well up to now.
>
> Testing my Akonadi "internal MYSQL server" yields the error log below.
> Any ideas how to fix this without losing all alarms are highly
> appreciated -

You are missing Kalarm akonadi resources. You can't save alarm without
resources. For all kalarm problems I recommend the new kalarm forum because
Kalarm author answer quickly. See link on Kalarm home page at
http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm/

Akonadi migrations are often a problem and require manual tweaks. But as
Akonadi is *only a cache* for datas, you can safely remove all akonadi
configs (in ~/.config/akonadi and ~/.local/share/akonadi for mysql conf).
You will have to recreate resources but this can help to solve the errors in
your log. Be sure to stop Akonadi, Nepomuk and Pim programs first (or close
your session and do that from console).

xavier

Old 06-19-2012, 09:57 PM
"Andreas v. Heydwolff"

Thanks, Xavier -

>> Configured Akonadi resources are Personal Contacts, Local Folders, and
>> Kolab (the last more out of curiosity, loaded it ages ago and I don't
>> think I am using it). Alarms have been working well up to now.
>>
>> Testing my Akonadi "internal MYSQL server" yields the error log below.
>> Any ideas how to fix this without losing all alarms are highly
>> appreciated -
>
> You are missing Kalarm akonadi resources.

Indeed they are not installed. I am not sure which package they belong to.

> resources. For all kalarm problems I recommend the new kalarm forum because
> Kalarm author answer quickly. See link on Kalarm home page at
> http://www.astrojar.org.uk/kalarm/

went there, thanks.

Regards,
Andreas

Old 06-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Xavier Brochard

Andreas v. Heydwolff wrote:

>> You are missing Kalarm akonadi resources.
>
> Indeed they are not installed. I am not sure which package they belong to.

Kalarm
see http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/kalarm/filelist

xavier

Old 06-20-2012, 03:47 PM
"David Jarvie"

On Wed, June 20, 2012 12:54 am, Xavier Brochard wrote:
> Andreas v. Heydwolff wrote:
>
>>> You are missing Kalarm akonadi resources.
>>
>> Indeed they are not installed. I am not sure which package they belong to.
>
> Kalarm
> see http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/kalarm/filelist

Actually, the KAlarm Akonadi resources are in the kdepim-runtime package.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
"Andreas v. Heydwolff"

On 2012-06-20 17:47, David Jarvie wrote:

>>> Indeed they are not installed. I am not sure which package they belong to.
>>
>> Kalarm
>> see http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/kalarm/filelist
>
> Actually, the KAlarm Akonadi resources are in the kdepim-runtime package.

But which one in the list would show up as the kalarm resource in
Akonadi (please follow link)?

http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/kdepim-runtime/filelist

Andreas

Old 06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
David Jarvie

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 18:05:04 Andreas v. Heydwolff wrote:
> On 2012-06-20 17:47, David Jarvie wrote:

> >> Kalarm
> >> see http://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/kalarm/filelist
> >
> > Actually, the KAlarm Akonadi resources are in the kdepim-runtime package.
>

> But which one in the list would show up as the kalarm resource in
> Akonadi (please follow link)?
>
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/kdepim-runtime/filelist

That package is for use with kdepim 4.4. I'm confused as to which package versions you are using, since KAlarm 4.4 is not able to use Akonadi - Akonadi resources for KAlarm were only implemented in kdepim 4.8. Earlier versions of KAlarm do not use Akonadi at all.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:29 PM
"Andreas v. Heydwolff"

On 2012-06-21 01:10, David Jarvie wrote:

> That package is for use with kdepim 4.4. I'm confused as to which
> package versions you are using, since KAlarm 4.4 is not able to use
> Akonadi - Akonadi resources for KAlarm were only implemented in
> kdepim 4.8. Earlier versions of KAlarm do not use Akonadi at all.

Thanks, David and Xavier, for the help and clarification, and sorry for
the confusion I created.

It seems that the *.ics files were updated and slightly modified when I
was using a self compiled kalarm 2.9, and the Debian version 4.4.11 to
which I reverted later when the kalarm crashes were resolved could not
handle them. I finally moved all files out of the dir and started from
scratch, extraced all DESCRIPTION fields with a sed/cut script and
manually created new alarms. Problem solved.

Cheers,
Andreas

Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM
"David Jarvie"

On Thu, June 21, 2012 9:29 pm, Andreas v. Heydwolff wrote:
> On 2012-06-21 01:10, David Jarvie wrote:
>
>> That package is for use with kdepim 4.4. I'm confused as to which
>> package versions you are using, since KAlarm 4.4 is not able to use
>> Akonadi - Akonadi resources for KAlarm were only implemented in
>> kdepim 4.8. Earlier versions of KAlarm do not use Akonadi at all.
>

> Thanks, David and Xavier, for the help and clarification, and sorry for
> the confusion I created.
>
> It seems that the *.ics files were updated and slightly modified when I
> was using a self compiled kalarm 2.9, and the Debian version 4.4.11 to
> which I reverted later when the kalarm crashes were resolved could not
> handle them. I finally moved all files out of the dir and started from
> scratch, extraced all DESCRIPTION fields with a sed/cut script and
> manually created new alarms. Problem solved.

Good, I'm glad you got it sorted out. There is always a potential problem,
in KAlarm as in other applications, if you try to use configuration or
data files when stepping back to an older version of the application.

In the case of KAlarm, if it finds that a calendar file has been written
by a later version (and only if there has been a format change between the
two versions) it takes the precaution of making the file read-only to
ensure that data is not lost for the newer version of KAlarm which created
the files. Your experience makes me wonder whether a warning should be
displayed if this happens, together with offering the option of making the
files read-write regardless.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:07 AM
"Andreas v. Heydwolff"

On 2012-06-22 10:14, David Jarvie wrote:

> Good, I'm glad you got it sorted out. There is always a potential problem,
> in KAlarm as in other applications, if you try to use configuration or
> data files when stepping back to an older version of the application.

> Your experience makes me wonder whether a warning should be
> displayed if this happens, together with offering the option of making the
> files read-write regardless.

This sounds like a very good idea to me. I was also confused because at
some point there was only a "displaying.ics" and no "calendar.ics" file
in the share/apps/kalarm dir. I seem to remember that I saw no alarms at
all in the kalarms window - I didn't have the calendar pane open, then
loaded the displaying.ics file because I thought no file was loaded at
all, and thereafter the rolled back stable kalarm 4.4 crashed while
starting, perhaps due to creating calendar.ics anew and now loading both
files. I had also changed the version info in the displaying.ics file
back to 2.4 and deleted one line that seemed to be new in the 2.9
header, but by then all was fubar...

Regards,
A.