Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Torsten Grote

Default KDE PIM packaging

On Thursday 23 August 2012 15:27:04 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> We currently lack the manpower to do this. We still have some RC bugs that
> need fixing, so we have some other stuff to do before thinking in kdepim.

That's unfortunate! How hard is it to learn Debian packaging? Is it realistic
for me to start and try to help with that? (I do have a technical background,
know how to program, use git etc.)

On the other hand, I'm really close to offer money. Would that be something
that would motivate you to dedicate more of your spare time to packaging?

Regards,
Torsten

Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 30/08/2012 at 21:27, Torsten Grote <t@grobox.de> wrote:

> How hard is it to learn Debian packaging? Is it realistic
> for me to start and try to help with that? (I do have a technical
> background, know how to program, use git etc.)

Debian packaging is not all that hard. I managed to create my first package
from source in one evening.

There things are easier, because you don't have to start from scratch (there
are already older versions packaged). But PIM packages seems to be quite
complex (many packages from one source) — perhaps it would be better to start
with something easier.

Anyway, I am not Debian developer, so you don't have to trust me.
You should definitely read that, though:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 08-30-2012, 10:47 PM

On Thu 30 Aug 2012 16:27:45 Torsten Grote escribió:
> On Thursday 23 August 2012 15:27:04 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > We currently lack the manpower to do this. We still have some RC bugs
> > that need fixing, so we have some other stuff to do before thinking in
> > kdepim.
>
> That's unfortunate! How hard is it to learn Debian packaging? Is it
> realistic for me to start and try to help with that? (I do have a
> technical background, know how to program, use git etc.)

Learning to package takes time and will, but if I could learn it, I'm sure
almost anyone can :-)

That being said, kmail is not the place to start packaging.

> On the other hand, I'm really close to offer money. Would that be something
> that would motivate you to dedicate more of your spare time to packaging?

While I'm perfectly fine if someone earns money for doing Debian stuff, I
don't think this is the place to ask for it. But I may be mistaken in this.

On the other hand, there is something boring but simple that almost anyone can
help with: bug #673268. It needs an enourmous ammount of work, but it's a
quite simple task. I'm planning to go for it on Sunday, starting more or less
at 17:00 GTM. If someone is interested, [s]he can join #debian-kde on
irc.oftc.net to sync efforts.

Regards, Lisandro.

--
#exclude <windows.h>