FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Michael Thaler
 
Default How to show birthdays defined in KAddressbook in KOrganizer

Hi,

> Two possibilities:
> 1. In Korganizer, right click in a blank place below "Akonadi resource",
> this will open a short popup with one choice only: "Add agenda". Click on
> this.
>
> 2. Or in SystemSetting, go to "Personal information", choose "Calendar" in
> the resoruce list and then click on "Add..."
>
> Next steps are similar in both cases:
> from the new window, you can choose "Akonadi" or "Birthday dates from
> AdressBook".
> If you choose "Birthday..." it's finished after the options window, but I
> don't know if this resource will stay in future KDE.
> If you choose Akonadi, then in the new window click on "Manage Calendar
> Sources", then on "Add..." and choose "Birthday & Anniversaries", then
> define options (day to remind, filters, ...) adn it's finished.


Thanks, but unfortunately this did not work either. There was no resource
"Birthday & Anniversaries".

I tried to find the reason and finally I got (almost) everything working now.
The first thing I realized was that my account was not in the mysql group.
After adding it, I finally got the "Birthday & Anniversaries" Akonadi resource.
I then added a new user, created a test person in kaddressbook and the
birthday was shown in KOrganizer. So I decided to just delete all Akonadi and
KAddressbook related config files and start from scratch. My old contatcs are
actually stored in kabc and I did not delete this directory. After setting
everything up once again I know have all my kontacts in kaddressbook again and
the birthdays are shown in korganizer. The only problem left is that some
birthdays are now shown twice, but I think I just live with that for now.

I started using KDE when it was still KDE 1 Beta something, but I think
Akonadi is really the worst experience I ever had with KDE. While Akonadi
might in principal be a good piece of software, solving problems related to
Akonadi is really terrible. I googled for the error messages shown in the
mysql log files (you can get them using the Akonadi tray application) and I
only found answers like: use that command. I don't really know what it does,
but it worked for me. Forums are full of people having problems with Akonadi
and to me it seems that the majority of people just tried out various stuff
they found with Google without really understanding what the problem actually
is and what the solution does. This seems to have two reasons: 1. Akonadi
seems to be a complex piece of software and most people just do not understand
it (me included). 2. There seems to be no really useful documentation on how
to troubleshoot problems.

Anyway, thanks for the help!
Michael


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201206181022.12243.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/201206181022.12243.michael.thaler@physik.tu-muenchen.de
 
Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Xavier Brochard
 
Default How to show birthdays defined in KAddressbook in KOrganizer

Michael Thaler wrote:
> Thanks, but unfortunately this did not work either. There was no resource
> "Birthday & Anniversaries".
>
> ...
> The first thing I realized was that my account was not in the mysql
> group.

Neither me. There is no need for that.

> After adding it, I finally got the "Birthday & Anniversaries"
> Akonadi resource.

I'm sure you have done something else or you missed the resource at first.

> I then added a new user,

you mean a new unix account or a new contact in adressbook ?

> ...
> The only problem left is that some birthdays are now shown
> twice, but I think I just live with that for now.

This can happend because you have a duplicate birthday resource ("Akonadi
Birthday & Anniversaries" and "Birthday dates from AdressBook"), a duplicate
Contact resource or a duplicate adressbook, check in System Settings.

To have a correct setup, I would suggest to first create a new blank
account, then logging in. Launch KAdressBook, add 2 contacts with birthday
date, launch KOrganizer and see if they are visible. You might need to
creates resources first. Then you will have something to compare you own
config.

BTW, which KDE version are you using?

> I started using KDE when it was still KDE 1 Beta something, but I think
> Akonadi is really the worst experience I ever had with KDE. While Akonadi
> might in principal be a good piece of software, solving problems related
> to Akonadi is really terrible. I googled for the error messages shown in
> the mysql log files (you can get them using the Akonadi tray application)
> and I only found answers like: use that command. I don't really know what
> it does, but it worked for me. Forums are full of people having problems
> with Akonadi and to me it seems that the majority of people just tried out
> various stuff they found with Google without really understanding what the
> problem actually is and what the solution does. This seems to have two
> reasons: 1. Akonadi seems to be a complex piece of software and most
> people just do not understand it (me included).


I solved *all* my Akonadi problems with these simple rules:
Firts thing to not forget is that *Akonadi is only a cache*. Datas are never
stored in Akonadi.
Second is to check if you have the right version of components. If you use
components from various repositories, you may have mixed versions that
creates problems, checking Akonadi dependencies and repositories solve a lot
of things for me. Check bug report for mysql versions also.
Third, is that our KDE directory is full of old things (I'm also using KDE
from the beginings). Starting a new account (and reimporting datas) can help
a lot with Akonadi problems.
And four, ask for help in Debian's or KDE's lists. On these lists a lot of
people understand how things work (have a look also in Slackware
Linuxquestions.org forums and in SuSE or Fedora lists).


> 2. There seems to be no
> really useful documentation on how to troubleshoot problems.

should we start one? any volunteer? (seriously)

regards
xavier



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/jrnb05$ai1$1@dough.gmane.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org