Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Eshat Cakar

Default KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 available in qt-kde.debian.net

Hi,

KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official mirrors
(available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

Note that the upload currently only contains base packages of Plasma
Workspaces.
Due to this partial upload [1], the packages are considered experimental and
targeted at experienced users of the unstable distribution.
Users of debian testing might use them too, if apt-get/aptitude is not
complaining about dependency problems.

However, it is not recommended to use the repository on production systems.
If you're fine with that, head over to http://qt-kde.debian.net for install
instructions.

Feedback is highly appreciated, since it will help getting these packages into
the official archive.
Especially report any issues during the upgrade process (i.e. file/dependency
conflicts) or if you encounter any misbehavior in KDE applications, that used
to work before the upgrade.

As usual, please do *NOT* report bugs in the BTS against these semi-official
packages. Use this mailing list (debian-kde@lists.debian.org) or the IRC
support channel #debian-kde at irc.debian.org instead.

P.S. Wether you decide to upgrade, or not: if you previously used
/etc/apt/preferences.d/kde-experimental to upgrade to 4.7.4 from experimental,
make sure to delete it, since it is not necessary for KDE SC 4.7.4 anymore and
might cause trouble in future releases.

Best regards

Eshat, on behalf of the pkg-kde Team

[1] The reason why the upgrade is not covering all KDE SC packages, is that we
want to upload the packages to unstable in various batches to make the
transitions to testing easier. A list of built 4.8.3 source packages can
be found at http://qt-kde.debian.net/debian/.
Also the kdeutils and kdeaccessibility packages were split into
multiple small source packages with KDE SC 4.8, which implies some extra
work, that has not been completed yet.

--
eshat cakar
web: www.eshat.de gpg-id: 799B 95D5

Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag, 14. Mai 2012 schrieb Eshat Cakar:
> Hi,

Hi Eshat, hi Debian Qt/KDE team!

> KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official
> mirrors (available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

Wow! Thanks a lot.

You really surprised me. Again and again I looked on git.debian.org and
didnīt see any activity. And now after I didnīt look for a while you just
did it .

> Note that the upload currently only contains base packages of Plasma
> Workspaces.
> Due to this partial upload [1], the packages are considered
> experimental and targeted at experienced users of the unstable
> distribution.
> Users of debian testing might use them too, if apt-get/aptitude is not
> complaining about dependency problems.
>
> However, it is not recommended to use the repository on production
> systems. If you're fine with that, head over to
> http://qt-kde.debian.net for install instructions.

I will try it out later today, after some sleep. Production system or not.

(Yes, I read your warning and know that I need to fix things up myself by
downgrading or whatever if nothing else works and I am responsible for my
decision.)

Ciao,

Old 05-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Diederik de Haas

On Monday 14 May 2012 23:27:38 Eshat Cakar wrote:
> KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official mirrors
> (available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

Thank you very much, I've successfully upgraded :-)

> Feedback is highly appreciated, since it will help getting these packages
> into the official archive.
> Especially report any issues during the upgrade process (i.e.
> file/dependency conflicts) or if you encounter any misbehavior in KDE
> applications, that used to work before the upgrade.

I had no issue whatsoever upgrading the kde packages, kudos!

I did however fix things before doing the upgrade, so I'd recommend doing a "aptitude -s full-
upgrade" first to see what problems could arrive by doing a full-upgrade and after having sorted out
any issues do the same command without the -s (=simulate) parameter.
When that's done, it was safe to follow the instructions on qt-kde.d.n (for me).

The problems I had and fixed were as follows:
- mysql-common was already at versions 5.5.23-2 breaking mysql-server-core-5.1
Installing mysql-server-core-5.5 (optionally marking as autoinstalled) solved that.
- netbase package in sid (version 5.0) depends on ifupdown from experimental
Trying to upgrade netbase (with aptitude) presents you to remove ifupdown, DON'T DO it.
See bugs 672851 and 672862 (both Critical priority!)
Installing ifupdown from experimental and then "aptitude full-upgrade" fixed that IN MY CASE.
It's probably better to (install and) hold the netbase package to the version in testing (version
4.47).

Cheers,
Diederik

Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Diederik de Haas

On Tuesday 15 May 2012 05:28:27 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> - netbase package in sid (version 5.0) depends on ifupdown from
> experimental Trying to upgrade netbase (with aptitude) presents you to
> remove ifupdown, DON'T DO it. See bugs 672851 and 672862 (both Critical
> priority!)
> Installing ifupdown from experimental and then "aptitude full-upgrade"
> fixed that IN MY CASE. It's probably better to (install and) hold the
> netbase package to the version in testing (version 4.47).

Just did an aptitude update and aptitude safe-upgrade and there is now a compatible version of
ifupdown in unstable.
I'm using http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/ as my mirror, which is (afaik) (one of) the first to get
updated so you may have to wait a couple of hours before your mirror is updated.

HTH,
Diederik

Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> > However, it is not recommended to use the repository on production
> > systems. If you're fine with that, head over to
> > http://qt-kde.debian.net for install instructions.
>
> I will try it out later today, after some sleep. Production system or
> not.

Totally smooth.

I donīt even see a difference at first glance.

Ah, okay, Nepomuk status is back.

Should I find anything during daily usage I will report here on list.

Maybe there is something with Pulseaudio, but currently I have again
system wide and user session wide running in parallel, now I added I dpkg-
divert to start-pulseaudio-kde in order to make sure that my "exit 0"
stays here in upgrades.

When audio is still broken after restarting the session, I will report
back.

Thanks,

Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Benjamin Eikel

Hello,

thank you very much for these packages. I was awaiting them eagerly. When all
other KDE 4.8.x packages are going to be finished, are there any plans for KDE
PIM 4.8.x packages for Debian?

Am Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 23:27:38 schrieb Eshat Cakar:
> Feedback is highly appreciated, since it will help getting these packages
> into the official archive.
> Especially report any issues during the upgrade process (i.e.
> file/dependency conflicts) or if you encounter any misbehavior in KDE
> applications, that used to work before the upgrade.

Upgrade on a Debian unstable/amd64 system worked without problems. If I notice
any problems during my daily work, I will report back.

Kind regards
Benjamin

Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 PM
cobaco

*

> Feedback is highly appreciated, since it will help getting these packages

> into the official archive.

*

another upgrade from an updated unstable with no issues whatsoever sofar

*

kudos from a happy user

--

Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Benjamin Eikel

Hello again,

Am Dienstag, 15. Mai 2012, 11:55:03 schrieb Benjamin Eikel:
> Hello,
>
> thank you very much for these packages. I was awaiting them eagerly. When
> all other KDE 4.8.x packages are going to be finished, are there any plans
> for KDE PIM 4.8.x packages for Debian?
>
> Am Montag, 14. Mai 2012, 23:27:38 schrieb Eshat Cakar:
> > Feedback is highly appreciated, since it will help getting these packages
> > into the official archive.
> > Especially report any issues during the upgrade process (i.e.
> > file/dependency conflicts) or if you encounter any misbehavior in KDE
> > applications, that used to work before the upgrade.
>
> Upgrade on a Debian unstable/amd64 system worked without problems. If I
> notice any problems during my daily work, I will report back.

I upgraded two other computers (also using unstable/amd64) without problems.
There were no problems using KDE during the whole day. Thank you very much
again!

Kind regards
Benjamin

Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 PM
Yannick Roehlly

Eshat Cakar wrote:

> KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official mirrors
> (available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

A big thank to the Debian KDE team!

Yannick

--
All intelligent species own cats.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Luca

Thanks a lot, such a fantastic news

Just upgraded now on my wheezy machine,

the only two packges needed from sid were libattr1 and lib acl1

and the only one removew was libetp1

After that everything rocks!!

cheers