Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Luc Castermans

Default KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 available in qt-kde.debian.net

Op 16-05-12 23:06, Matthias Müller schreef:

Before the upgrade, have you manually installed from libattr1 and
libacl1 from sid? The wheezy version is to low

That's the problem, I am not very experienced in installing libs or even
programs without aptitude.
Could you please offer a step-by-step recipe how to manually install
these libs?

use:

apt-get install -t sid libattr1 libacl1

(after adding sid to /etc/apt/sources.list + apt-get update)

Old 05-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Valerio Passini

lunedì 14 maggio 2012 Cakar ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official mirrors
> (available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

sabato 19 maggio 2012

Many thanks for your work.

> As usual, please do *NOT* report bugs in the BTS against these
> semi-official packages. Use this mailing list
> (debian-kde@lists.debian.org) or the IRC support channel #debian-kde at
> irc.debian.org instead.
>

> Best regards
>
> Eshat, on behalf of the pkg-kde Team

So far I have found the following problem with Dolphin. When opening a large
folder with a lot of sub-folders, Dolphin takes 98% of resources for several
seconds. This didn't happen before the upgrade.

Valerio

Old 05-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 19. Mai 2012 schrieb Valerio Passini:
> lunedì 14 maggio 2012 Cakar ha scritto:
[…]
> So far I have found the following problem with Dolphin. When opening a
> large folder with a lot of sub-folders, Dolphin takes 98% of resources
> for several seconds. This didn't happen before the upgrade.

Since dolphin is still 4.7.4 while other packages are not at 4.8.3 and
since KDE 4.8 contains Dolphin 2 anyway which has a completely rewritten
directory display engine, I would wait till Dolphin 2 package is available
and then retest.

Ciao,

Old 05-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 19/05/2012 at 09:28, Valerio Passini <valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:

> So far I have found the following problem with Dolphin. When opening a
> large folder with a lot of sub-folders, Dolphin takes 98% of resources for
> several seconds. This didn't happen before the upgrade.

Although I am not Debian Developer, I think it may be helpful to precise how
much is "a lot".
Could you provide output for commands:

1. find /path/to/directory/ -maxdepth 1 -type d |wc -l
2. du --si -cs /path/to/directory/
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Valerio Passini

sabato 19 maggio 2012 Zalewski ha scritto:
> On 19/05/2012 at 09:28, Valerio Passini <valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:
> > So far I have found the following problem with Dolphin. When opening a
> > large folder with a lot of sub-folders, Dolphin takes 98% of resources
> > for several seconds. This didn't happen before the upgrade.
>
> Although I am not Debian Developer, I think it may be helpful to precise
> how much is "a lot".
> Could you provide output for commands:
>
> 1. find /path/to/directory/ -maxdepth 1 -type d |wc -l
> 2. du --si -cs /path/to/directory/

sabato 19 maggio 2012

The information you asked:
1. 863
2. 1,1T

Thank you

Valerio

Old 05-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Michael Schuerig

On Monday 14 May 2012, Eshat Cakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KDE Plasma Workspaces 4.8.3 has been uploaded to our semi-official
> mirrors (available for both, amd64 and i386, systems).

Installation on an up-to-date unstable system went smoothly. However,
using the updated Plasma has been rather rocky, so far. With desktop
effects enabled, KWin crashes every few minutes. I blame this more on
NVidida's driver than on KDE, and surely not on the package maintainers.

With desktop effects disabled, the contrast of text against background
in the taskbar is rather low. I'm using the "Air for netbooks" desktop
theme, where it is least bad, but still far from good. Does anyone have
an idea what I can do about this?

In the settings for Desktop Search I noticed a new checkbox "Enable
Email Indexer". Does this work separately from the File Indexer? IOW, am
I supposed to exclude the folders where KMail keeps its data from file
indexing?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 20. Mai 2012 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> In the settings for Desktop Search I noticed a new checkbox "Enable
> Email Indexer". Does this work separately from the File Indexer? IOW,

Yes.

> am I supposed to exclude the folders where KMail keeps its data from
> file indexing?

Yes and no.

It does work separately, but I think it requires KDEPIM 2 (aka of KDE SC
4.6 or higher) to be usable.

As far as I read it still doesn´t work in all cases upto KDE SC 4.8.3.
Some fixes are done for KDE SC 4.9. That said I never tested it myself.
That is just what I gathered from reading kdepim and kdepim-users mailing
list.

I already excluded my mail directory anyway, cause until when I need to
search for me I use what the KMail 1 as of KDE SC 4.4.11 currently
included in Debian has to offer.

So I think the real question is: Do you currently use desktop search to
find mail as files on harddisk? If not, I would exclude the mail directory.
If you use it however for something you do not like the current search
function in KMail 1 that has to scan the indexes and possibly mails during
search, I recommend to keep the mail directory included until you got
KDEPIM 2 packages and the search stuff in KMail 2 works to your
satisfaction. Then I would keep the mail indexer disabled until you
installed the first KDEPIM 2 version.

Thats at least from what I understood so far.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag, 21. Mai 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> So I think the real question is: Do you currently use desktop search
> to find mail as files on harddisk? If not, I would exclude the mail
> directory. If you use it however for something you do not like the
> current search function in KMail 1 that has to scan the indexes and
> possibly mails during search, I recommend to keep the mail directory
> included until you got KDEPIM 2 packages and the search stuff in KMail
> 2 works to your satisfaction. Then I would keep the mail indexer
> disabled until you installed the first KDEPIM 2 version.

Hmmm, I am not sure whether the mail indexer is actually doing anything as
long as KMail/KDEPIM 1 is installed and in use. So it might not be
beneficial or needed to disable it. Maybe someone here knows more.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Monday 21 May 2012, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
[...]
> Thats at least from what I understood so far.

A lot more than I did, at any rate. Thanks for the summary.

Michael