Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Andrej Kacian

Default Good music player suggestion

Hello all,

since I can't use my favourite player MPD (doesn't play well with other
audio sources), Juk can't play HTTP streams, and Amarok crashes
whenever I try to open a HTTP stream, I am left without a usable audio
player on my laptop.

What are everyone's favourite players? I'd prefer something simpler
than amarok, I do not need the whole media center app
bullshit with lyrics, cd covers or social integration bells and
whistles that seems to be so popular nowadays - just something that
plays audio files and streams.

Thanks in advance,
Andrej

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Alex Dekker

On Friday 11 May 2012 10:49:10 Andrej Kacian wrote:

*

> What are everyone's favourite players?

*

Qmmp works for me and would probably fit the bill for you as it's small and light and doesn't try to do too much.

*

alexd

Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Richard Ibbotson

On Friday 11 May 2012 11:49:10 Andrej Kacian wrote:
> since I can't use my favourite player MPD (doesn't play well with
> other audio sources), Juk can't play HTTP streams, and Amarok
> crashes whenever I try to open a HTTP stream, I am left without a
> usable audio player on my laptop.
>
> What are everyone's favourite players?

Exaile and Audacious are good for me.

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk

https://twitter.com/#!/SleepyPenguin1

Old 05-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 11/05/2012 at 11:49, Andrej Kacian <andrej+debian@kacian.sk> wrote:

> since I can't use my favourite player MPD (doesn't play well with other
> audio sources)

Could you be more specific about the issue? Maybe it could be solved somehow.

I am using Cantata, KDE client for MPD. It has ability to play files outside
MPD database and "streams", but I have never used either, so I can't tell how
they are working.

Cantata maintainer, Craig Drummond, is very responsive. Most of bugs I have
reported were fixed within 24 hours. Craig is also open for feature requests,
so if Cantata is not yet meeting your expectations, it could be matter of one
e-mail and some time to fix it.

Unfortunately, there are no official Debian packages for Cantata. It compiles
without any errors, though. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail - I can
send you instructions how to build Debian package from SVN. This is my first
Debian package ever, so perhaps it has way too many issues. Therefore I am not
so keen to upload packages themselves.

Cantata webpage:
https://code.google.com/p/cantata/
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Georgi Vamporov

Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Andrej Kacian

On Fri, 11 May 2012 11:10:18 +0100
Alex Dekker <bugs@ale.cx> wrote:

> On Friday 11 May 2012 10:49:10 Andrej Kacian wrote:
>
> > What are everyone's favourite players?
>
> Qmmp works for me and would probably fit the bill for you as it's
> small and light and doesn't try to do too much.

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! The other reply by
Richard had some good players as well, although GTK-based (not that I
have anything against GTK+, my favourite MUA is using it).

Regards,
Andrej

Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Roman Sakal

since I can't use my favourite player MPD (doesn't play well with other

audio sources), Juk can't play HTTP streams, and Amarok crashes

whenever I try to open a HTTP stream, I am left without a usable audio

player on my laptop.

What are everyone's favourite players? I'd prefer something simpler

than amarok, I do not need the whole media center app

bullshit with lyrics, cd covers or social integration bells and

whistles that seems to be so popular nowadays - just something that

plays audio files and streams.

Thanks in advance,

Andrej

For MPD I like to use Sonata player, but now I have 2 favorite players:* * DeaDBeeF player - very lite and usefull. Distributed as static builds and have deb packages, now in debian-multimedia.org too.

* * Clementine - back to nostalgie of Amarok 1.4 but on new Qt.**

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120511114910.1bd50dce@kacian1.emea.hpqcorp.net

Old 05-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Petar Gabud

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 11/05/12 19:49, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> since I can't use my favourite player MPD (doesn't play well with other
> audio sources), Juk can't play HTTP streams, and Amarok crashes
> whenever I try to open a HTTP stream, I am left without a usable audio
> player on my laptop.
>
> What are everyone's favourite players? I'd prefer something simpler
> than amarok, I do not need the whole media center app
> bullshit with lyrics, cd covers or social integration bells and
> whistles that seems to be so popular nowadays - just something that
> plays audio files and streams.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Andrej

My personal choice is Amarok - because of all the bells and whistles
(I've got a large music collection). Lighter again is the mighty
Kaffeine, but based on your requirements I'd have to agree with Petar -
VLC does what you require, nice and simple, no extra components
required. Just don't pull it from debian-multimedia.

Kind regards

answers to questions about Debian:-

Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Andrej Kacian

Hello,

On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:45:26 +0200
Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:

>Could you be more specific about the issue? Maybe it could be solved somehow.

Whenever MPD is playing, other audio sources freeze moments after starting, or
error out - for example mplayer starts the video, but freezes up. Seeking
works, but the picture always freezes again after a frame or two. As soon as I
stop MPD playback, the video starts playing normally, with sound. The other
way around - when mplayer is playing a video, MPD errors out with "error
opening audio device".

This happens with MPD and any other audio source (I've tried mplayer, various
music players, system notification sounds, pidgin notification sounds and few
more). All the mentioned sources work together just fine, MPD is the only one
that doesn't play with others.

I've tried both "alsa" and "pulse" audio output in MPD, with same result. MPD
does support pulseaudio output (mpd --version).

I guess this should belong to a bugreport for MPD, but since you asked...

>I am using Cantata, KDE client for MPD. It has ability to play files outside
>MPD database and "streams", but I have never used either, so I can't tell how
>they are working.

I'm mostly using mpc to control playback (via various keyboard shortcuts in
KDE), and ncmpcpp (ncurses client) to adjust playlist.

--
Andrej Kacian