FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Brad Rogers
 
Default Vertical scrolling in KDE text editors

On Wed, 9 May 2012 07:55:02 -0700
Adriano Vilela Barbosa <adriano.vilela@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Adriano,

> I have noticed that when vertically scrolling a text document in the
> KDE text editors (Kate, Kwrite, Kile), the scroll happens one

Look at System Settings, Input Devices -> Mouse, 'Advanced' tab. At the
bottom is "Mouse wheel scrolls by" n lines. Adjust to suit you wishes.

If that's not where the problem lies, you'll have to be, as others have
said, specific about which Debian version you're on, which KDE and how
you're scrolling.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
You never listen to a word that I said
Public Image - Public Image Ltd
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Facundo Aguilera
 
Default Vertical scrolling in KDE text editors

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Adriano Vilela Barbosa
<adriano.vilela@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have noticed that when vertically scrolling a text document in the
> KDE text editors (Kate, Kwrite, Kile), the scroll happens one
> paragraph at a time, instead of one line at a time. I don't know if
> this is some recent change, but I just hate it. Does anybody know if
> it's possible to change this behavior?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Adriano
>

I think I know what Adriano means. When you are using Dynamic Word
Wrap, and you have long lines (i.e. paragraphs in latex), then when
you scroll with the mouse, the scroll happens one "paragraph" (line)
at a time. I have some problems with this too, maybe you can report it
as a Wishlist.

Regards

Facu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAPYB0ABnFj4wSwwhTXirLuJML3Od9Sn0yfnYEGLbjU6V6nbZ+ w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAPYB0ABnFj4wSwwhTXirLuJML3Od9Sn0yfnYEGLbjU6V6nbZ+ w@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Adriano Vilela Barbosa
 
Default Vertical scrolling in KDE text editors

> Am Mittwoch 09.05.2012, 16:55:02 schrieb Adriano Vilela Barbosa:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have noticed that when vertically scrolling a text document in the
> > KDE text editors (Kate, Kwrite, Kile),
>
> How are you scrolling? Mouse wheel? The buttons on the scroll bar? The
> keyboard?
>
> > the scroll happens one
> > paragraph at a time, instead of one line at a time. I don't know if
> > this is some recent change, but I just hate it. Does anybody know if
> > it's possible to change this behavior?
>
> I'm using the latest KDE and QT from unstable and can't reproduce this
> behaviour with a normal text document and kate.
>
> --reini

Ok, I found out what the problem is. The thing is that I'm using
dynamic word wrap, where each paragraph of my text is actually a
single line in the text file. Using dynamic word wrap means that that
single line in the text file is shown as multiple lines on the screen
(my paragraphs are quite long) and when I do the vertical scrolling I
get these really big jumps. This happens when scrolling with either
the mouse wheel or when dragging the vertical scroll bar, but doesn't
happen when scrolling with the arrow keys. Although I now understand
what's causing this behavior, I still think it would be very nice to
have both the mouse wheel and the scroll bar produce the same
scrolling results as the arrow keys. Maybe I should file a bug with
the KDE guys?

I'm using KDE 4.7.4, from Testing.

Thanks,

Adriano


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAE6ucnSqRs3T2n+CBk=_iP3cZCK-DxBrG4OB6pS4J_EswM+9tA@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAE6ucnSqRs3T2n+CBk=_iP3cZCK-DxBrG4OB6pS4J_EswM+9tA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Adriano Vilela Barbosa
 
Default Vertical scrolling in KDE text editors

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Adriano Vilela Barbosa
> <adriano.vilela@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have noticed that when vertically scrolling a text document in the
> > KDE text editors (Kate, Kwrite, Kile), the scroll happens one
> > paragraph at a time, instead of one line at a time. I don't know if
> > this is some recent change, but I just hate it. Does anybody know if
> > it's possible to change this behavior?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> > Adriano
> >
>
> I think I know what Adriano means. When you are using Dynamic Word
> Wrap, and you have long lines (i.e. paragraphs in latex), then when
> you scroll with the mouse, the scroll happens one "paragraph" (line)
> at a time. I have some problems with this too, maybe you can report it
> as a Wishlist.
>
> Regards
>
> Facu

Hi Facundo,

That's exactly the problem I'm having, as described in a message I've
just sent to the list. As I said in that message, the problem doesn't
happen when scrolling with the arrow keys, and it would be nice to
have the mouse wheel and the vertical scroll bar produce the same
results as the arrow keys. I'm going to follow your suggestion and
report this to bugs.kde.org as a wishlist. Do you guys know what KDE
component I should report this against? Maybe kdelibs?

Thanks to all,

Adriano


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAE6ucnSNa5eEdgPr6pgKm9qOQ+nfa++bpBVzdh5oNN_CTkzYa A@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAE6ucnSNa5eEdgPr6pgKm9qOQ+nfa++bpBVzdh5oNN_CTkzYa A@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Adriano Vilela Barbosa
 
Default Vertical scrolling in KDE text editors

> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Adriano Vilela Barbosa
> > <adriano.vilela@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have noticed that when vertically scrolling a text document in the
> > > KDE text editors (Kate, Kwrite, Kile), the scroll happens one
> > > paragraph at a time, instead of one line at a time. I don't know if
> > > this is some recent change, but I just hate it. Does anybody know if
> > > it's possible to change this behavior?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot,
> > >
> > > Adriano
> > >
> >
> > I think I know what Adriano means. When you are using Dynamic Word
> > Wrap, and you have long lines (i.e. paragraphs in latex), then when
> > you scroll with the mouse, the scroll happens one "paragraph" (line)
> > at a time. I have some problems with this too, maybe you can report it
> > as a Wishlist.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Facu
>
> Hi Facundo,
>
> That's exactly the problem I'm having, as described in a message I've
> just sent to the list. As I said in that message, the problem doesn't
> happen when scrolling with the arrow keys, and it would be nice to
> have the mouse wheel and the vertical scroll bar produce the same
> results as the arrow keys. I'm going to follow your suggestion and
> report this to bugs.kde.org as a wishlist. Do you guys know what KDE
> component I should report this against? Maybe kdelibs?
>
> Thanks to all,
>
> Adriano

Update: this has already been reported upstream and there seems to be
a patch available. See the links below:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273236
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258913

Thanks for all your responses.

Cheers,

Adriano


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: CAE6ucnTg9iMMTt0GtyVX8p_LA0x2sACTyRbv1S3dZz2v4PWYs w@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/CAE6ucnTg9iMMTt0GtyVX8p_LA0x2sACTyRbv1S3dZz2v4PWYs w@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:08 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org