Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Seb

Default desktop effects suspended with latest nvidia packages

Hi,

After upgrading to the lates nvidia packages in sid (currently
295.40-1), KDE suspends desktop effects because they are too slow (I get
the notification to that effect in the taskbar). Trying to switch them
back on with Alt-Shift-F12 does turn them on, for it is way too slow,
and then KDE suspends them again. Is anybody experiencing that?

Thanks,

--
Seb

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Bruce Sass

On April 24, 2012 10:28:30 AM Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to the lates nvidia packages in sid (currently
> 295.40-1), KDE suspends desktop effects because they are too slow (I get
> the notification to that effect in the taskbar). Trying to switch them
> back on with Alt-Shift-F12 does turn them on, for it is way too slow,
> and then KDE suspends them again. Is anybody experiencing that?
>
> Thanks,

yes, see:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/04/msg00028.html

Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Seb

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:37:33 -0600,
Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On April 24, 2012 10:28:30 AM Seb wrote:
>> Hi,

>> After upgrading to the lates nvidia packages in sid (currently
>> 295.40-1), KDE suspends desktop effects because they are too slow (I
>> get the notification to that effect in the taskbar). Trying to
>> switch them back on with Alt-Shift-F12 does turn them on, for it is
>> way too slow, and then KDE suspends them again. Is anybody
>> experiencing that?

>> Thanks,

> yes, see:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2012/04/msg00028.html

Thanks. Like the last post there, I did eventually solve this by
switching to XRender in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced.

Perhaps worth submitting a bug report.

Cheers,

--
Seb

Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 18:28:30 Seb wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After upgrading to the lates nvidia packages in sid (currently
> 295.40-1), KDE suspends desktop effects because they are too slow (I get
> the notification to that effect in the taskbar). Trying to switch them
> back on with Alt-Shift-F12 does turn them on, for it is way too slow,
> and then KDE suspends them again. Is anybody experiencing that?

I'm using the Air theme with the OpenGL Compositing type with nvidia latest drivers and I'm not
having any issues.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 PM
Bruce Sass

On April 24, 2012 04:02:44 PM Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2012 18:28:30 Seb wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After upgrading to the lates nvidia packages in sid (currently
> > 295.40-1), KDE suspends desktop effects because they are too slow (I get
> > the notification to that effect in the taskbar). Trying to switch them
> > back on with Alt-Shift-F12 does turn them on, for it is way too slow,
> > and then KDE suspends them again. Is anybody experiencing that?
>
> I'm using the Air theme with the OpenGL Compositing type with nvidia latest
> drivers and I'm not having any issues.

That is the Desktop theme, ya... which Window Decorations theme are you using
and which video card?

I have a GeForce Go 6100. So far I've tried Air and Oxygen on the Desktop,
with B II and Oxygen (the light one, not the one labelled "by Sean Wilson")
for Window Decorations. I have not tried creating a fresh account, yet.

If we can pin this down wrt card, themes, or configs we may be able to
determine if a bug report is warranted and who should get it. A report at this
time would amount to a fairly useless, `it don't work', IMO.

- Bruce

Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Diederik de Haas

On Thursday 26 April 2012 01:59:35 Bruce Sass wrote:
> > I'm using the Air theme with the OpenGL Compositing type with nvidia
> > latest drivers and I'm not having any issues.
>
> That is the Desktop theme, ya... which Window Decorations theme are you
> using and which video card?
> I have a GeForce Go 6100. So far I've tried Air and Oxygen on the Desktop,
> with B II and Oxygen (the light one, not the one labelled "by Sean
> Wilson") for Window Decorations. I have not tried creating a fresh
> account, yet.

My Window Decorations theme is Oxygen (I only have 1 Oxygen Window Decoration theme) and I'm using a
GoForce GT 430 video card.
I have not tried another theme, since I'm content with my current settings (and it is working).

> If we can pin this down wrt card, themes, or configs we may be able to
> determine if a bug report is warranted and who should get it. A report at
> this time would amount to a fairly useless, `it don't work', IMO.

Agreed.

I don't know if there's a better/efficient way to compare configs, but here are my Advanced Desktop
Effect settings:
- Compositing type: OpenGL
- Disable functionality checks: unchecked
General Options
- Keep window thumbnails: Only for Shown Windows
- Scale method: Accurate
- Suspend desktop effects for fullscreen windows: checked
OpenGL Options
- Enable direct rendering: checked
- Use OpenGL 2 Shaders: checked
- Use VSync: checked

HTH,
Diederik

Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Mar 24 Abr 2012 18:23:28 Seb escribió:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 14:37:33 -0600,
> Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:
>

> Thanks. Like the last post there, I did eventually solve this by
> switching to XRender in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced.
>
> Perhaps worth submitting a bug report.
>
> Cheers,

Effects are working again on my systems after last upgrade...

Facu