Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Stanley Schade

Default Is okular unable to open gzipped PDFs?

Hi,

I'm running a Debian testing system with KDE 4.7.4. When I try to open a file
with the extension .pdf.gz with okular the following error message shows up:

"Could not open /path/to/file.pdf.gz"

Furthermore okular complains that it "can not find a plugin which is able to
handle the document being processed". I wonder if I am the only one to
experience this behaviour since okular is linked to gzip-compressed PDF
documents by default and according to a bug report (see link below) that I've
found it should be able to cope with *.pdf.gz files.

Thus, I might be missing a package though I've installed all recommended
packages related to okular? If that's not the case, I'm still not sure whether
I should report this as a bug...

BTW my okular version is 0.13.3 and the file can be opened with gv and evince.

Best regards

Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Thursday 19 April 2012 12:04:34 Stanley Schade wrote:
> I'm running a Debian testing system with KDE 4.7.4. When I try to open a
> file with the extension .pdf.gz with okular the following error message
> shows up:
>
> "Could not open /path/to/file.pdf.gz"

What if you decompress ("gunzip /path/to/file.pdf") the file and then do "file /path/to/file.pdf"?
Does it say it's a pdf file?

> Furthermore okular complains that it "can not find a plugin which is able
> to handle the document being processed". I wonder if I am the only one to
> experience this behaviour since okular is linked to gzip-compressed PDF
> documents by default

There's the okular-extra-backends package, but I doubt it'll solve your issue.
I just gzipped a pdf file and okular opens it without problems on my system.

> according to a bug report (see link below) that I've
> found it should be able to cope with *.pdf.gz files.

It would be better to link against the kde bug, since the debian bug only says "won't fix" for
another package, namely kpdf

Diederik