-   -   Kaboom: Greek letters in Kontact (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/653425-kaboom-greek-letters-kontact.html)

Jens Radloff 04-06-2012 06:03 PM

Kaboom: Greek letters in Kontact

Hi,

Having applied Kaboom all email folder names, email subjects and the
content of all mails in Kontact (being part of KDE4 in Debian Squeeze
6.0.4) appear with Greek letters.

This is an unexpected behaviour because the email folder names, email
subjects and the content of all mails in Kontact in my Debian Lenny
installation are in Latin letters.

What I did:

My current productive system is Debian Lenny. I want to switch to Debian
Squeeze, but without upgrading from Lenny to Squeeze, but instead by
installing a new, fresh Debian Squeeze and migrating my KDE settings
and data from Debian Lenny to Squeeze.

So did I. I installed Debian Squeeze in a test installation. Before that
I backupped my KDE data and settings (among other data from Kontact) in
Debian Lenny.

Then I installed Squeeze 6.0.4 in another partition. I then created a
new "normal" user account in Squeeze (without root priviliges) using
the adduser command. I then copied the backupped KDE settings and data
from Lenny to the home directory of the new user in Squeeze. Then I
logged into KDE using this new account, and the Kaboom wizard appeared
at once. I used this wizard to migrate my KDE settings and data from
Lenny.

When I now start Kontact in Debian Squeeze, then, as described above,
all email folder names, email subjects and the content of all mails in
Kontact appear with Greek letters.

What can be done to display the email folder names, email subjects and
the content of emails in Latin letters?

By the way, the content of calendar, contact and tasks dates that I
migrated with Kaboom are shown with Latin letters in Kontact in Debian
Squeeze. And a re-login into KDE did not resolve the behaviour.

Regards,

Jens

Martin Steigerwald 04-09-2012 07:34 PM

Am Freitag, 6. April 2012 schrieb Jens Radloff:
> Hi,

Hi Jens,

> Having applied Kaboom all email folder names, email subjects and the
> content of all mails in Kontact (being part of KDE4 in Debian Squeeze
> 6.0.4) appear with Greek letters.

Strange.

What is your locale?

How do you access mail? IMAP, POP3? If POP3 please have a look whether the
headers and content of mails are okay in a mail file stored on disk. (My
first bet is that its just a display issue and the on disk data should be
fine). If IMAP, you may check via webmail.

Any strange settings in systemsettings regarding regionalization (donīt
know the english word in systemsettings as I have it in german, changing
the language for systemsettings only, will not change the language of the
modules in there and I donīt want to change language globally just to see
itATM)

Ciao,

Martin Steigerwald 04-09-2012 07:35 PM

Kaboom: Greek letters in Kontact

Am Freitag, 6. April 2012 schrieb Jens Radloff:
> Hi,
>
> Having applied Kaboom all email folder names, email subjects and the
> content of all mails in Kontact (being part of KDE4 in Debian Squeeze
> 6.0.4) appear with Greek letters.
>
> This is an unexpected behaviour because the email folder names, email
> subjects and the content of all mails in Kontact in my Debian Lenny
> installation are in Latin letters.

Another one:

What are your font settings? Is the result the same when you choose a
different font.

Note that KMail can have its own font settings so its not enough to just
check the systemsettings one.

Jens Radloff 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

Kaboom: Greek letters in Kontact

Hi Martin,

> What are your font settings? Is the result the same when you choose a
> different font.

All font settings for all display elements in KMail were set
to "Standard Symbols L". A simple change of these settings to a font
with Latin letters resolved the problem.

Thanks, Martin, for your solution proposal, it helped.

I should have checked the font settings in KMail before .... but I had
forgotten that KMail has font settings.

Regards,

Jens