Old 03-15-2012, 11:48 AM
José Manuel Santamaría Lema

Default Calligra plans

Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
> Hi!
>
> Any plans regarding Calligra suite for Wheezy?

No.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Raúl Sánchez Siles

Hello:

El Jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012, José Manuel Santamaría Lema escribió:
> Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Any plans regarding Calligra suite for Wheezy?
>
> No.
>
> > Upstream seems to be relatively short before a release:
> >
> > http://www.calligra.org/news/announcements/calligra-2-4-beta-7/
> >
> > Thanks,

Let me try to provide a little more information about this issue. As said,
there is no plan to include calligra for Wheezy so far. This is mainly due to
upstream not actually having done a final stable version release, IOW 2.4.0

Beside this, there is and has been some effort put on calligra packaging. So
far Beta 7 is packaged and as far as I can tell, working. Unfortunately,
binaries haven't been published yet.

We are considering pushing them into experimental, but this publication is
somewhat bound to upstream final release. This is not a final decision and it also
depends on uploaders available free time, since calligra is heavy weigh.

HTH, regards,

--
Raúl Sánchez Siles
----->Proud Debian user<-----

Old 03-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> Hello:

Hi Raúl

> El Jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012, José Manuel SantamarÃ*a Lema escribió:
> > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Any plans regarding Calligra suite for Wheezy?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > Upstream seems to be relatively short before a release:
> > >
> > > http://www.calligra.org/news/announcements/calligra-2-4-beta-7/
[…]
> Let me try to provide a little more information about this issue. As
> said, there is no plan to include calligra for Wheezy so far. This is
> mainly due to upstream not actually having done a final stable version
> release, IOW 2.4.0
>
> Beside this, there is and has been some effort put on calligra
> packaging. So far Beta 7 is packaged and as far as I can tell,
> working. Unfortunately, binaries haven't been published yet.
>
> We are considering pushing them into experimental, but this
> publication is somewhat bound to upstream final release. This is not a
> final decision and it also depends on uploaders available free time,
> since calligra is heavy weigh.

Thanks a lot for your detailed information. I would love to test these
packages. Whether they end up in Wheezy or not.

Ciao,

Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> Hello:

Hi Raúl, hi Debian Qt/KDE team,

> El Jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012, José Manuel Santamaría Lema escribió:
> > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Any plans regarding Calligra suite for Wheezy?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > Upstream seems to be relatively short before a release:
> > >
> > > http://www.calligra.org/news/announcements/calligra-2-4-beta-7/
> > >
> > > Thanks,
>
> Let me try to provide a little more information about this issue. As
> said, there is no plan to include calligra for Wheezy so far. This is
> mainly due to upstream not actually having done a final stable version
> release, IOW 2.4.0

Finally they did. So this reason has gone.

> Beside this, there is and has been some effort put on calligra
> packaging. So far Beta 7 is packaged and as far as I can tell,
> working. Unfortunately, binaries haven't been published yet.
>
> We are considering pushing them into experimental, but this
> publication is somewhat bound to upstream final release. This is not a
> final decision and it also depends on uploaders available free time,
> since calligra is heavy weigh.

I would love to test Calligra. It seems like it might be a really fine
software package. I already use Krita regularily and from what I read it
has become *a lot* better than 2.3. And then Words seem to have received
quite some improvements as other applications and the framework itself.

It might finally by a viable alternative to Libre Office for me.

I thought about updating / building packages myself, but I think to get up
to speed with the current packaging might take quite some time. I have
some basic debian packaging experience, but never packaged anything really
complex.

Anyway, if there is something I could help with in little units of free
time (say 30 minutes or a hour), I am glad to help as I manage to take
time for it.

Ciao,

Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Raúl Sánchez Siles

Hello:

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:17:42PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. März 2012 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> > Hello:
>
> Hi Raúl, hi Debian Qt/KDE team,
>
> > El Jueves, 15 de marzo de 2012, José Manuel Santamaría Lema escribió:
> > > Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>

> > > No.

> > Let me try to provide a little more information about this issue. As
> > said, there is no plan to include calligra for Wheezy so far. This is
> > mainly due to upstream not actually having done a final stable version
> > release, IOW 2.4.0
>
> Finally they did. So this reason has gone.

And now that it's gone, we'll try to get it into shape for release, but you
know, doing our best doesn't warrant we'll make it, although I hope so.

> > Beside this, there is and has been some effort put on calligra
> > packaging. So far Beta 7 is packaged and as far as I can tell,
> > working. Unfortunately, binaries haven't been published yet.
> >
> > We are considering pushing them into experimental, but this
> > publication is somewhat bound to upstream final release. This is not a
> > final decision and it also depends on uploaders available free time,
> > since calligra is heavy weigh.
>
> I would love to test Calligra. It seems like it might be a really fine
> software package. I already use Krita regularily and from what I read it
> has become *a lot* better than 2.3. And then Words seem to have received
> quite some improvements as other applications and the framework itself.

We are now working on an experimental upload. We manage to build it correctly,
and now packaging review is work in progress and uploading is pending.

> It might finally by a viable alternative to Libre Office for me.
>
> I thought about updating / building packages myself, but I think to get up
> to speed with the current packaging might take quite some time. I have
> some basic debian packaging experience, but never packaged anything really
> complex.

In case you want to fiddle in the packaging you may want to know that like all
of the work done in Debian, this is also worked publicly. In the calligra case
a git repository is hosted in alioth. Regular disclaimer here: this is not for
the faint of heart.

> Anyway, if there is something I could help with in little units of free
> time (say 30 minutes or a hour), I am glad to help as I manage to take
> time for it.

We'll think about this, but so far I think testing, in general, is the best
thing to do with Calligra. We'll let you know when packages are available.

> Ciao,
> --
> Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
> GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7

Raúl Sánchez Siles

Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> > Anyway, if there is something I could help with in little units of
> > free time (say 30 minutes or a hour), I am glad to help as I manage
> > to take time for it.
>
> We'll think about this, but so far I think testing, in general, is
> the best thing to do with Calligra. We'll let you know when packages
> are available.

Thank you, Raúl.

I will then wait for your announcement and be happy to test it then.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Claudio Filho

Hi

2012/4/15 Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>:
> I would love to test Calligra. It seems like it might be a really fine
> software package.

+1

> It might finally by a viable alternative to Libre Office for me.

Curious comment, Martin. I also love the idea of to see Calligra growing too.

In other hand, you can test Apache OpenOffice as other viable
alternative of LibreOffice, or do you can't see this?

Best,
Claudio

Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2012 schrieb Claudio Filho:
> Hi

Hi Claudio,

> 2012/4/15 Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de>:
[…]
> > It might finally by a viable alternative to Libre Office for me.
>
> Curious comment, Martin. I also love the idea of to see Calligra
> growing too.
>
> In other hand, you can test Apache OpenOffice as other viable
> alternative of LibreOffice, or do you can't see this?

Currently I have no intent to try out Apache OpenOffice. First I do not
believe that it is packaged for Debian for now. Second I am quite happy
with LibreOffice. Third I do not see how Apache OpenOffice should be able to
be more advanced than LibreOffice currently given from what I have seen as
output yet.

I also do not get why there is a need to two competing OpenOffice
implementations cause of Oracle´s stubornness to play games with open
source projects it buyed from Sun.

Apache OpenOffice might become a shooting star and surprise me, but
currently I do not see this happening.

I am more interested in Calligra for its leanness, its KDE integration and
it unique approaches.

Ciao,