Old 03-15-2012, 01:42 AM
Nick Boyce

Default Installing KDE 4.6 Backport On Squeeze

[I realise the various unofficial KDE backports are not the primary
topic on this list, so this email is just in case my question is
Frequent, and/or there's anybody here with any obvious answers. TIA.]

This is the first time I've tried installing Debian KDE since 3.3 on
'sarge', so please be gentle

I have just installed a fresh and bare-bones (no desktop) 'squeeze'
system on an AMD64 box, using the netinst 6.0.4 CD, and I'd now like to
install KDE 4.6.5 from http://www.debian-desktop.org/, but am unsure
what is a sensible way of installing a useful chunk of the desktop.

I've been following the advice at
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4.html
and http://www.debian-desktop.org/doku.php/start
and I've tried all the obvious meta-packages, with these results :

"aptitude install kde (or kde-standard or kde-full)" gives :
kde-standard: Depends: polkit-kde-1 (>= 0.99) but it is not going to
be installed.
plasma-scriptengine-python: Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.6.80) but
4:4.4.5-3 is to be installed.
plasma-desktop: Breaks: plasma-widget-networkmanagement (<
0.1+git20110422.810bc16-1+) but 0.1~svn1141976-1 is to be installed.
kdebase-runtime-data: Breaks: plasma-widget-networkmanagement (<
0.1+git20110422.810bc16-1+) but 0.1~svn1141976-1 is to be installed.

"aptitude install kde-minimal" gives :
No candidate version found for kde-minimal

The least broken option is this :

"aptitude install kde-plasma-desktop" gives :
plasma-scriptengine-python: Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.6.80) but it
is not going to be installed.

Would that last one give me a good result ?
Does a missing 'plasma-scriptengine-python' matter much ?

As for the others, I don't think I need
'plasma-widget-networkmanagement', but I suspect 'polkit-kde-1' is
rather important ... any comments ?

Anyway, any insights into all this would be gratefully received.

[Yes, I could just install the KDE 4.4.3 that comes with 'squeeze' - I
quite like it, but I thought I'd just have a look at the 4.6.5 backport.]

PS: what's with the wacky version numbers (5:66) of stable packages like
'kde', 'kde-full' and 'kde-plasma-desktop' ? Why not '4:4.4.3' ?

Cheers
Nick Boyce
--
"Bob has a problem requiring secure communication.
He decides to use certificates.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Martin Alfke

Hi Nick,

please install using

apt-get -t debian-desktop kde-full

Please note that I lack time to correct an issue with USB automount (amd64 and i386) and security updates.

If you prefer a stable solution you should stick to the official packages.

Thanks,

Martin

Old 03-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Nick Boyce

On 15/03/2012 10:36, Martin Alfke wrote:

> On 15.03.2012, at 03:42, Nick Boyce wrote:
[...]
>> I have just installed a fresh and bare-bones (no desktop) 'squeeze'
>> system on an AMD64 box, using the netinst 6.0.4 CD, and I'd now
>> like to install KDE 4.6.5 from http://www.debian-desktop.org/
[...]
>> I've tried all the obvious meta-packages, with these results :
>
> please install using
>
> apt-get -t debian-desktop kde-full

Ah .. ok, I just tried that in simulation mode, and it does indeed not
produce any warnings or errors at all. Which is great ... and which
tells me that the apt-get/aptitude religious war has become a bit more
serious since last I understood.

It's OT for this list (and I don't want to ingite any flame fests here),
so can anyone point me at a discussion or explanation of the current
state of play with apt package managers ?

I thought the important difference was that aptitude keeps track of
automatically installed packages (while apt-get does not), so it can get
rid of them later when they're no longer needed. It now looks like
aptitude resolves dependencies in a very different way from apt-get, and
I therefore need a better understanding of these tools.

> Please note that I lack time to correct an issue with USB automount
> (amd64 and i386) and security updates.
>
> If you prefer a stable solution you should stick to the official
> packages.

Thanks for the warning. While it might be possible to roll my own
security fixes in the longer term, I think the lack of USB automounting
would bug the hell out of me in the short term, so I'll stick to stable
4.4.3 on the primary system, and may have a look at the backport in a VM
later on.

Irrespective, thank you very much for all your hard work on the
backports repository.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
--
/* affect != effect */ void affect(int *thing,int effect) { *thing +=
effect; }

Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 AM
R33D3M33R

Hello,

you probably get errors because you are not including "-t debian-desktop"

Cheers,
Andrej

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4F6156F9.6000600@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk

Old 03-20-2012, 01:46 AM
Nick Boyce

On 18/03/2012 09:14, R33D3M33R wrote:

> 2012/3/15 Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk>
>
>> I've tried all the obvious meta-packages, with these results :
>>
>> "aptitude install kde (or kde-standard or kde-full)" gives : The
>> following packages have unmet dependencies: kde-standard: Depends:
>> polkit-kde-1 (>= 0.99) but it is not going to be installed.
>> plasma-scriptengine-python: Depends: python-kde4 (>= 4:4.6.80) but
>> 4:4.4.5-3 is to be installed. plasma-desktop: Breaks:
>> plasma-widget-networkmanagement (< 0.1+git20110422.810bc16-1+) but
>> 0.1~svn1141976-1 is to be installed. kdebase-runtime-data: Breaks:
>> plasma-widget-networkmanagement (< 0.1+git20110422.810bc16-1+) but
>> 0.1~svn1141976-1 is to be installed.
>
> you probably get errors because you are not including "-t
> debian-desktop"

Doh ! Thanks Andrej - I was indeed being blind and not reading the
instructions properly. I can't test the theory now cos I've already
gone ahead and installed KDE 4.4.5 from stable, but when I get another
Debian up in a VM I'll try again.

(Thanks too to Martin, whose response I also failed to read properly)

>> "aptitude install kde-minimal" gives : No candidate version found
>> for kde-minimal

This will never work because, with all repositories I've now checked,
there is no such package (which probably means
http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4.html should have the reference to
it removed).

[I have to say, Squeeze/KDE4.4.5 is a beautiful step up from
Sarge/KDE3.3 ]

Cheers
Nick
--
"In the 1980s capitalism triumphed over communism.
In the 1990s it triumphed over democracy."