-   -   Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/644012-options-kdepim-using-kde-4-7-unstable.html)

Johannes Graumann 03-13-2012 09:23 AM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Hi,

For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me. Do
inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are their other
options?

Thanks for any hints, Joh

Benjamin Eikel 03-13-2012 09:34 AM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Hello Johannes,

Am Dienstag, 13. März 2012, 11:23:46 schrieb Johannes Graumann:
> Hi,
>
> For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me. Do
> inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are their other
> options?

I do not understand your question. Kontact is in unstable [1].

Kind regards
Benjamin

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/kontact

José Manuel Santamaría Lema 03-13-2012 09:49 AM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Johannes Graumann <johannes_graumann@web.de>
> Hi,
>
> For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me. Do
> inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are their other
> options?

No.

Dietz Pröpper 03-13-2012 12:44 PM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Johannes Graumann:
> Hi,
>
> For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me.
> Do inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are
> their other options?

Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for some
reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time, therefore
ruining battery life.

regards
Dietz
--
To be a bug is a dumb thing, a silly and a bump thing,
but to be a bug is something, and You're not a thing at all.

Diggory Hardy 03-13-2012 02:35 PM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for some

reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time, therefore

ruining battery life.

regards

* * * *Dietz

--
Dietz, I'm running KDE from unstable and I don't have that problem (I've had kwin/xorg using excessive CPU before but not plasma-desktop and not now). In fact, I'm currently getting about the lowest power usage I've ever had from my laptop with full KDE + compositing!

Diggory

Modestas Vainius 03-13-2012 09:26 PM

Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Hello,

On antradienis 13 Kovas 2012 12:23:46 Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me. Do
> inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are their other
> options?
>
> Thanks for any hints, Joh

Use kdepim that is in unstable. kdepim 4.7 is crap, you don't want to use it
if you value your data.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Sune Vuorela 03-13-2012 09:35 PM

On 2012-03-13, Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org> wrote:
> kdepim 4.7 is crap, you don't want to use it
> if you value your data.

I officially disagree.

/Sune

Gurvan Huiban 03-13-2012 11:46 PM

Le Tuesday 13 March 2012 10:44:22, Dietz Pröpper a écrit :
> Johannes Graumann:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> > unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me.
> > Do inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are
> > their other options?
>
> Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for some
> reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time, therefore
> ruining battery life.

Hello,

Can you be more specific (or link to a bug report or thread or ...)? I am using
kdepim in unstable and I did not observe such behaviour; but I am very
interested in anything that could reduce the power consumption.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Gurvan

Johannes Graumann 03-14-2012 03:54 AM

On Wednesday 14 March 2012 01:26:23 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On antradienis 13 Kovas 2012 12:23:46 Johannes Graumann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> > unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for me.
> > Do inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less? Are their
> > other options?
> >
> > Thanks for any hints, Joh
>
> Use kdepim that is in unstable. kdepim 4.7 is crap, you don't want to use
> it if you value your data.

Thanks for all the hints and info. Running 4.4 on 4.7.

Joh

Martin Steigerwald 03-15-2012 09:14 AM

Am Dienstag, 13. März 2012 schrieb Dietz Pröpper:
> Johannes Graumann:
> > Hi,
> >
> > For my new laptop I'm tempted to go with kde 4.7 as now residing in
> > unstable. However, the lack of kdepim therein is a show stopper for
> > me. Do inofficial repositories exist to get kontact none the less?
> > Are their other options?
>
> Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for
> some reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time,
> therefore ruining battery life.

It might do so on your machine(s).

On my machines it doesn´t.

plasma-desktop might pull CPU time permanently due to some widget you have
installed that I may not have installed.

If something happens for you, it does not necessarily happen for everyone
else.

KDE SC 4.7.4 IMHO is the best KDE 4 I ever had running here so far. Of
course your mileage may vary.

Ciao,