Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Dietz Prpper

Default Options for kdepim using kde 4.7/unstable?

Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Dienstag, 13. Mrz 2012 schrieb Dietz Prpper:
> > Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for
> > some reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time,
> > therefore ruining battery life.
>
> It might do so on your machine(s).

Obviously :-.

> On my machines it doesnt.

Ack.

> plasma-desktop might pull CPU time permanently due to some widget you
> have installed that I may not have installed.

I suspect something like that, but can't nail it down. The fact, that if I
fire up gnome, I see the "expected" consumption, around 15W, and on a
freshly created account, kde pulls around 22W idleing around indicates that
it's in some way kde related I think.

Regards,
Dietz
--
To be a bug is a dumb thing, a silly and a bump thing,
but to be a bug is something, and You're not a thing at all.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
Benjamin Eikel

Hello Dietz,

Am Freitag, 16. Mrz 2012, 10:53:46 schrieb Dietz Prpper:
> Martin Steigerwald:
> > Am Dienstag, 13. Mrz 2012 schrieb Dietz Prpper:
> > > Current kde from unstable is a bad idea for a laptop imho, because for
> > > some reason, plasma-desktop permanently pulls some % of cpu time,
> > > therefore ruining battery life.
> >
> > It might do so on your machine(s).
>
> Obviously :-.
>
> > On my machines it doesnt.
>
> Ack.
>
> > plasma-desktop might pull CPU time permanently due to some widget you
> > have installed that I may not have installed.
>
> I suspect something like that, but can't nail it down. The fact, that if I
> fire up gnome, I see the "expected" consumption, around 15W, and on a
> freshly created account, kde pulls around 22W idleing around indicates that
> it's in some way kde related I think.

have you tried "powertop" [1] to get an idea which process might be
responsible for the power consumption?

Kind regards
Benjamin

[1] http://packages.debian.org/powertop

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Dietz Prpper

Benjamin Eikel:
> > I suspect something like that, but can't nail it down. The fact, that
> > if I fire up gnome, I see the "expected" consumption, around 15W, and
> > on a freshly created account, kde pulls around 22W idleing around
> > indicates that it's in some way kde related I think.
>
> have you tried "powertop" [1] to get an idea which process might be
> responsible for the power consumption?

Indeed, I did, which led me to plasma-desktop in the first place. I see
around 300 wakeups/s, 1/3 of them via plasma-desktop. Expected are around
120-150 on "my" kde workspace. Of course, in "idle" state.

Anyway, atm, not even my stomach seems to have any suspicion :-.

regards,
Dietz

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag, 16. Mrz 2012 schrieb Dietz Prpper:
> Benjamin Eikel:
> > > I suspect something like that, but can't nail it down. The fact,
> > > that if I fire up gnome, I see the "expected" consumption, around
> > > 15W, and on a freshly created account, kde pulls around 22W
> > > idleing around indicates that it's in some way kde related I
> > > think.
> >
> > have you tried "powertop" [1] to get an idea which process might be
> > responsible for the power consumption?
>
> Indeed, I did, which led me to plasma-desktop in the first place. I see
> around 300 wakeups/s, 1/3 of them via plasma-desktop. Expected are
> around 120-150 on "my" kde workspace. Of course, in "idle" state.

Hmmm, I have easily around 500-600 wakeups/second. But I do not even see
plasma-desktop in the process list on the Overview tab of powertop.

No, no plasma-desktop there at all. But stuff like KWin, Dolphin, Kmail,
Akregator, some Konquerors which were preloaded - why are these doing
anything anyway? -, sometimes Iceweasel, and various Nepomuk stuff like
nepomukindexer, nepomukservicestubs and virtuoso-t, as well as postgres
for Akonadi, some interrupt threads (I use threadirqs kernel option) and
BTRFS.

Still fan isnt even running most of the time. Sandybrdige CPU is in C7
sleep state in 87% of the time. It idles in about 30-35% of the time and
is at 800 MHz in about 60% of the time. Rest is distributed among
frequencies with the bulk of 2-8% in turbo mode.

The machine is basically doing nothing except for those wakeups.

Thus is you have plasma-desktop in the first place, I think this is not
normal. Unless you do not run anything else at all in the moment. I think
I will try with all user applications closed and look again.

I would test with a new user with a bog standard KDE configuration first. If
that is better I would disable plasmoids one by one starting with those
which I added yourself until I find the culprit. Since these are running in
the context of plasma-desktop and I am not even sure whether they run as
threads there, I do not know any other approach that would work.

Ciao,

Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 17. Mrz 2012 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> Thus is you have plasma-desktop in the first place, I think this is
> not normal. Unless you do not run anything else at all in the moment.
> I think I will try with all user applications closed and look again.

So there we go - just two samples with all applications closed, all
preloaded konquerors stopped, Akonadi stopped, Nepomuk told
to stop indexing (whether it did, is another question):

Usage Events/s Category Description
100,0% Device Audio codec hwC0D0: Conexant
100,0% Device Audio codec hwC0D3: Intel
9,2 ms/s 89,2 Process kwin -session
10cec7d36b000131558400500000159990000_1331979787_3 17189
12,3 ms/s 67,5 Process /usr/bin/X :0 vt7 -br -nolisten tcp -auth
/var/run/xauth/A:0-5Zjkna
2,0 ms/s 60,1 Process [irq/44-i915]
1,0 ms/s 40,0 Timer hrtimer_wakeup
257,1 s/s 23,5 Interrupt [44] i915
2,7 ms/s 14,2 Process /usr/bin/konsole -session
10cec7d36b000132792037300000100040021_1331979787_1 78488
79,4 s/s 7,5 Process [ksoftirqd/2]
143,2 s/s 6,5 Process [irq/43-ahci]
7,9 ms/s 2,8 Process /usr/bin/plasma-desktop
66,6 s/s 5,6 Process [ksoftirqd/0]
243,3 s/s 4,6 Process [irq/16-mmc0]
400,8 s/s 3,5 Timer tick_sched_timer
39,9 s/s 2,9 Process [ksoftirqd/1]
19,9 s/s 2,6 Process [btrfs-endio-met]
92,2 s/s 1,9 Process [scsi_eh_2]
19,2 s/s 1,9 Interrupt [16] mmc0
16,8 s/s 1,6 Process [ksoftirqd/3]
150,0 s/s 1,5 Process /usr/bin/dirmngr --daemon --sh
361,7 s/s 1,2 Process [btrfs-transacti]
221,6 s/s 1,2 Process /usr/lib/upower/upowerd
40,1 s/s 1,1 Process [irq/9-acpi]
241,0 s/s 1,0 kWork disk_events_workfn
107,8 s/s 1,1 Process /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hp-systray
124,5 s/s 1,0 kWork cache_reap
291,0 s/s 0,8 Process /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system
194,3 s/s 0,8 Process kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]
18,7 s/s 0,7 Interrupt [43] SATA controller
580,1 s/s 0,5 Process ksysguardd
148,5 s/s 0,5 Process /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile
/tmp/virtuoso_jd2710.ini +wait
106,5 s/s 0,5 Process udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0
16,0 s/s 0,5 kWork e1000_watchdog_task
3,7 s/s 0,5 kWork wq_barrier_func
2,6 s/s 0,5 kWork i915_gem_retire_work_handler
33,7 s/s 0,5 kWork gen6_pm_rps_work

Usage Events/s Category Description
100,0% Device Audio codec hwC0D0: Conexant
100,0% Device Audio codec hwC0D3: Intel
6,7 ms/s 75,1 Process kwin -session
10cec7d36b000131558400500000159990000_1331979787_3 17189
10,6 ms/s 57,5 Process /usr/bin/X :0 vt7 -br -nolisten tcp -auth
/var/run/xauth/A:0-5Zjkna
1,3 ms/s 39,4 Process [irq/44-i915]
273,0 s/s 19,5 Interrupt [44] i915
0,9 ms/s 16,5 Timer hrtimer_wakeup
1,5 ms/s 6,8 Process /usr/bin/konsole -session
10cec7d36b000132792037300000100040021_1331979787_1 78488
81,0 s/s 5,9 Process [ksoftirqd/2]
164,2 s/s 5,2 Process [irq/43-ahci]
6,1 ms/s 2,1 Process /usr/bin/plasma-desktop
50,1 s/s 4,1 Process [ksoftirqd/1]
21,1 s/s 2,8 Interrupt [43] SATA controller
345,4 s/s 2,2 Timer tick_sched_timer
114,2 s/s 2,2 Process [irq/16-mmc0]
39,0 s/s 2,1 Process [btrfs-endio-met]
91,0 s/s 2,0 Process [scsi_eh_2]
4,5 ms/s 0,1 Process /usr/bin/korgac --icon korgac
30,1 s/s 1,6 Process [ksoftirqd/0]
148,8 s/s 1,5 Process /usr/bin/dirmngr --daemon --sh
0,7 ms/s 1,0 kWork disk_events_workfn
467,7 s/s 1,0 Process [btrfs-transacti]
123,1 s/s 1,1 kWork cache_reap
66,7 s/s 1,0 Process /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hp-systray
1,0 ms/s 0,5 Process /usr/bin/virtuoso-t +foreground +configfile
/tmp/virtuoso_jd2710.ini +wait
97,0 s/s 0,8 Process udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0
660,9 s/s 0,5 Process ksysguardd
8,0 s/s 0,8 Process [ksoftirqd/3]
15,7 s/s 0,5 kWork e1000_watchdog_task
3,4 s/s 0,5 kWork wq_barrier_func
3,2 s/s 0,5 kWork i915_gem_retire_work_handler
170,3 s/s 0,4 Process [btrfs-submit-1]
26,3 s/s 0,5 kWork gen6_pm_rps_work
1,1 s/s 0,4 kWork cfq_kick_queue
120,2 s/s 0,4 Process kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]
39,9 s/s 0,4 Process /usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --sh --write-env-
file=/home/martin/.gnupg/gpg-agent-info-m

Indeed plasma-desktop appears in the list now, but IMHO thats almost
unavoidable with it being one of the few desktop processes that were
running at that time. I have seen it with 2 to about 10 events per
second which doesnt seem that much of it. That is with a picture of
the day widget, customer weather widget and some CPU, memory and
harddisk status widgets.

So maybe thats a better measurement. The amount of events per second in
plasma-desktop itself instead of the complete amount of wakeups or in
relation to it.

2 to 10 events from plasma-desktop in relation to 250-400 wakeups per
second doesnt sound that much to me.

Depending on the hardware you use there might be some other power
related options that make sense to use. For Intel Sandybridge that is at
least RC6 power saving mode for integrated graphics, but I use some
other options as well. The RC6 option should make the biggest difference
and is not on by default for Sandybridge in 3.2.

Ciao,

Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Dietz Prpper

Martin Steigerwald:
> Am Freitag, 16. Mrz 2012 schrieb Dietz Prpper:
> > Benjamin Eikel:
> > >
> > > have you tried "powertop" [1] to get an idea which process might be
> > > responsible for the power consumption?
> >
> > Indeed, I did, which led me to plasma-desktop in the first place. I
> > see around 300 wakeups/s, 1/3 of them via plasma-desktop. Expected
> > are around 120-150 on "my" kde workspace. Of course, in "idle" state.
>
> Hmmm, I have easily around 500-600 wakeups/second.

On an idle system?

> But I do not even see
> plasma-desktop in the process list on the Overview tab of powertop.

I see between 20 and 100 events from plasma-desktop, and around the same
from the X sever (nvidia, Quadro FX 880M). CPU-wise, plasma-desktop
permanently pulls 1-2% cpu time, and the x server another 3-5%.

> Thus is you have plasma-desktop in the first place, I think this is not
> normal.

Ack. And the behaviour is not that clear that I can rule out other heavy
electrons ;-).

> Unless you do not run anything else at all in the moment. I
> think I will try with all user applications closed and look again.

Yes, that will be the next step. Did not really have the time to look into
this much deeper.

> I would test with a new user with a bog standard KDE configuration
> first.

That was the first try I gave ;-). And power consumption was basically the
same. And, as written, it seems to be something kde related, because
neither with a gnome desktop, nor with no X11 running at all I could
reproduce the power drain.

> If that is better I would disable plasmoids one by one starting
> with those which I added yourself until I find the culprit. Since these
> are running in the context of plasma-desktop and I am not even sure
> whether they run as threads there, I do not know any other approach
> that would work.

Hopefully I'll have the time to look into that the next days a littl
deeper.

(You know, knowing that probably s.t. is broken on my side makes diagnosis
much easier ;-).

regards,
Dietz