Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Modestas Vainius

Default KDE 4.8 timeline

Hello,

On antradienis 06 Kovas 2012 19:13:21 M. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not trying to ask the eternal Debian and KDE question here, "when
> KDE x.xx will be in Debian?", but for a timeline, like the one for
> Gnome (http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.0-status.html) so at
> least we can plan for updates/upgrades, like the latest bugs from the
> combination Xserver 1.11/Nvidia 295/KDE 4.7, the performance issues,
> etc.

We don't have it. The plan is to ship wheezy with KDE 4.8.x where x is the
last in the series (probably 4.8.4).

If I were you I wouldn't expect anything news-worthy to happen on the KDE 4.8
front until KDE 4.7.4 gets to testing (not that it means something will happen
soon after). KDE transitions typically take a month or two to start hence you
will have enough time to prepare.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Old 03-06-2012, 07:21 PM
"M."

2012/3/6 Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>:
> Hello,
>
> On antradienis 06 Kovas 2012 19:13:21 M. wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm not trying to ask the eternal Debian and KDE question here, "when
>> KDE x.xx will be in Debian?", but for a timeline, like the one for
>> Gnome (http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.0-status.html) so at
>> least we can plan for updates/upgrades, like the latest bugs from the
>> combination Xserver 1.11/Nvidia 295/KDE 4.7, the performance issues,
>> etc.
>
> We don't have it. The plan is to ship wheezy with KDE 4.8.x where x is the
> last in the series (probably 4.8.4).

Thanks for the answer. Not even in experimental?

> If I were you I wouldn't expect anything news-worthy to happen on the KDE 4.8
> front until KDE 4.7.4 gets to testing (not that it means something will happen
> soon after). KDE transitions typically take a month or two to start hence you
> will have enough time to prepare.

Is there a way so I can help to at least try to put this info out in a
more timelinesh way?
This way I think people would be so disoriented - as I was - with the
KDE in Debian :-)

Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Eshat Cakar

Hi M.,

Am 06.03.2012 schrieb "M." <infinity.probability@gmail.com>:

> 2012/3/6 Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > On antradienis 06 Kovas 2012 19:13:21 M. wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm not trying to ask the eternal Debian and KDE question here,
> >> "when KDE x.xx will be in Debian?", but for a timeline, like the
> >> one for Gnome
> >> (http://www.0d.be/debian/debian-gnome-3.0-status.html) so at least
> >> we can plan for updates/upgrades, like the latest bugs from the
> >> combination Xserver 1.11/Nvidia 295/KDE 4.7, the performance
> >> issues, etc.
> >
> > We don't have it. The plan is to ship wheezy with KDE 4.8.x where x
> > is the last in the series (probably 4.8.4).
>
> Thanks for the answer. Not even in experimental?
>

> > If I were you I wouldn't expect anything news-worthy to happen on
> > the KDE 4.8 front until KDE 4.7.4 gets to testing (not that it
> > means something will happen soon after). KDE transitions typically
> > take a month or two to start hence you will have enough time to
> > prepare.
>
> Is there a way so I can help to at least try to put this info out in a
> more timelinesh way?

Everything is public, so it is possible to write a script listing all
package versions in testing/sid/experimental.
The gnome page you mentioned even provides the generation script for
that site at the bottom, however I already looked at it, and it is
very gnome-specific, so would need a lot of modification to apply to
KDE packaging.

However, such a page would make no sense: This kind of information
might only be interesting for testing anyway, since usually the
complete KDE SC packages are uploaded at once to unstable/experimental,
hence there is no progress that can be followed (Gnome seems to work
differently here). And the testing migration status of each package can
be seen in the PTS.

> This way I think people would be so disoriented - as I was - with the
> KDE in Debian :-)

You can always have a look at /topic in the #debian-kde IRC channel

Best regards

--
eshat cakar
web: www.eshat.de gpg-id: 799B 95D5