Old 03-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Valerio Passini

Default KDE SC 4.7.4 being uploaded to unstable

>> >Not all KDE users read this list. Is there another way that all users can
>> >be informed about this recomendation before upgrading?
>>
>> IMHO it's not a good idea being on KDE/Debian/Experimental-Unstable and NOT
>> reading the kde-debian mailing list.

>It might not be a good idea, but there is no advisory that people should read
>any list, either:

>http://www.debian.org/releases/sid/

>Johannes

Given that neither me nor you (and many others in this list) need any
recommendation from me, you are right about the fact there is no suggestion
about subscribing a mailing list on Sid page, but it's clearly stated: "Use it
at your own risk!". That's enough, because even support on mailing lists is
not always available and news about incoming packages are given by the
kindness of KDE Debian Team. Pretending that developers start warning people
that on purpose use Unstable, seems to me like trying to work around others'
foolishness and a kind of incentive in adopting Sid (and none want that Sid
becomes the Debian distribution for the everyday user).

Valerio

Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Johannes Zarl

On Wednesday 07 March 2012 20:48:56 Valerio Passini wrote:
> Given that neither me nor you (and many others in this list) need any
> recommendation from me, you are right about the fact there is no suggestion
> about subscribing a mailing list on Sid page, but it's clearly stated: "Use
> it at your own risk!".

Oh, no worries: I'm using it on my own risk. And when things occasionally
break, I like to keep the pieces and play with them ;-)

> [...]
> Pretending that developers start
> warning people that on purpose use Unstable, seems to me like trying to
> work around others' foolishness and a kind of incentive in adopting Sid

I didn't say that it's the developers/packagers/anyones job to work around
other people's foolishness. And I really appreciate José's warning not to
upgrade ATM. It's just that I think that it would be wrong to assume that
many/most sid users are reading this list.

> (and none want that Sid becomes the Debian distribution for the everyday
> user).
Actually, it has been my everyday distribution since I started using linux. I
wouldn't run it on any server, but I couldn't imagine my desktop running
stable...

Cheers,
Johannes

Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
David Goodenough

On Wednesday 07 Mar 2012, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Monday 05 Mar 2012, José Manuel Santamaría Lema wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > the upload of KDE SC 4.7.4 started today and will continue tomorrow. I
> > recommend you to not upgrade at least until all the packages are
> > uploaded. When done I'll send another mail to this mailing list.
> >
> > Good night from UTC+1.
>
> Is there somewhere a list of redudant packages that we can expect to be
> removed? There are still about 20 pacakges apt-get wants to remove and I
> am unsure if this is because not everything has migrated yet or because
> these are genuinely no longer needed.
>
> David

Well to answer my own question (I hope acurately) now that kde-full is not
being removed I take it that KDE is comlete. There are seven pacakges
remaining:-

kdebase-data kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-workspace-data
kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins libplasmaclock4abi1 libscience4
libtaskmanager4abi1

David

Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Reinhard Karcher

Am 08.03.2012 11:18, schrieb David Goodenough:

Well to answer my own question (I hope acurately) now that kde-full is not
being removed I take it that KDE is comlete. There are seven pacakges
remaining:-

kdebase-data kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-workspace-data
kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins libplasmaclock4abi1 libscience4
libtaskmanager4abi1

No kde 4.7.4 packages depend on those. I purged them from my system

Reinhard