-   -   how to ditch kde completely (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/639361-how-ditch-kde-completely.html)

Harry Putnam 03-01-2012 12:54 PM

how to ditch kde completely

I want to change desktop to lxde but also to be rid of all the kde
pkgs now installed.

I suspect one could get into quite a mess by just start `aptitude
remove' ing things, so wondered if anyone has worked out some kind of
procedure to follow so far getting rid of kde?

Richard Ibbotson 03-01-2012 12:57 PM

how to ditch kde completely

On Thursday 01 March 2012 13:54:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
> I suspect one could get into quite a mess by just start `aptitude
> remove' ing things, so wondered if anyone has worked out some kind
> of procedure to follow so far getting rid of kde?

apt-get remove kde-full .... or ...
apt-get remove kde

You can just leave KDE where is it and just use LXDE. Works for me.

apt-get install lxde lxterminal leafpad lxsession lxmenu-data
lxappearance

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk

Martin Steigerwald 03-01-2012 02:50 PM

how to ditch kde completely

Am Donnerstag, 1. März 2012 schrieb Richard Ibbotson:
> On Thursday 01 March 2012 13:54:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
> > I suspect one could get into quite a mess by just start `aptitude
> > remove' ing things, so wondered if anyone has worked out some kind
> > of procedure to follow so far getting rid of kde?
>
> apt-get remove kde-full .... or ...
> apt-get remove kde
>
> You can just leave KDE where is it and just use LXDE. Works for me.
>
> apt-get install lxde lxterminal leafpad lxsession lxmenu-data
> lxappearance

And then apt-get autoremove to remove dependencies that are not required
anymore. aptitude purge ~c if you want to get rid of the configuration of
removed packages. Carefully look at the outputs of both commands before
confirming - or adapting manually with apt-get markauto/unmarkauto /
purging only part of the packages.

Modestas Vainius 03-01-2012 05:51 PM

how to ditch kde completely

Hello,

On ketvirtadienis 01 Kovas 2012 15:54:32 Harry Putnam wrote:
> I want to change desktop to lxde but also to be rid of all the kde
> pkgs now installed.
>
> I suspect one could get into quite a mess by just start `aptitude
> remove' ing things, so wondered if anyone has worked out some kind of
> procedure to follow so far getting rid of kde?

# aptitude purge libkdecore5

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>