Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian KDE (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/)
-   -   Phonon and pulseaudio (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/635845-phonon-pulseaudio.html)

Frédéric Burlet 02-21-2012 04:25 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
Hi,

I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I don't have
sound anymore in KDE.

I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and pulseaudio have
been updated.

Here is an extract of what I see in aptitude's log file.

[UPGRADE] libphonon4 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
[UPGRADE] libpulse-mainloop-glib0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
[UPGRADE] libpulse0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
[UPGRADE] phonon 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
[UPGRADE] phonon-backend-vlc 0.4.1-1 -> 0.5.0-1
[UPGRADE] pulseaudio 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
[UPGRADE] pulseaudio-esound-compat 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
[UPGRADE] pulseaudio-module-x11 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
[UPGRADE] pulseaudio-utils 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3

Amarok and the notification system do not play any sound.

If I use paplay (from pulseaudio), I do have sound. So, I guess the issue is a
"communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.

Before this upgrade, everything worked fine.

Does anyone of you get the same issue? Do I have to report a bug to the Debian
Bug Tracking System? If yes, which package?

Regards,

Fred.

Florian Kulzer 02-21-2012 08:46 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 18:25:52 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I don't have
> sound anymore in KDE.
>
> I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and pulseaudio have
> been updated.
>
> Here is an extract of what I see in aptitude's log file.
>
> [UPGRADE] libphonon4 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
> [UPGRADE] libpulse-mainloop-glib0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> [UPGRADE] libpulse0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> [UPGRADE] phonon 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
> [UPGRADE] phonon-backend-vlc 0.4.1-1 -> 0.5.0-1
> [UPGRADE] pulseaudio 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-esound-compat 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-module-x11 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-utils 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
>
> Amarok and the notification system do not play any sound.
>
> If I use paplay (from pulseaudio), I do have sound. So, I guess the issue is a
> "communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.
>
> Before this upgrade, everything worked fine.

Which backends are listed when you open the "Backend" tab in System
Settings > Multimedia > Phonon? Which output devices are listed on the
"Device Preference" tab? Do you hear any sound when you select one of
the devices and press the "Test" button on the bottom right hand side?

Also post the output of:

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio
cat /proc/asound/cards

--
Regards, |
Florian | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120221214647.GA5673@isar.localhost">http://lists.debian.org/20120221214647.GA5673@isar.localhost

Frédéric Burlet 02-22-2012 08:08 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:46:47 PM Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 18:25:52 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I don't have
> > sound anymore in KDE.
> >
> > I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and pulseaudio
> > have been updated.
> >
> > Here is an extract of what I see in aptitude's log file.
> >
> > [UPGRADE] libphonon4 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
> > [UPGRADE] libpulse-mainloop-glib0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> > [UPGRADE] libpulse0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> > [UPGRADE] phonon 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1
> > [UPGRADE] phonon-backend-vlc 0.4.1-1 -> 0.5.0-1
> > [UPGRADE] pulseaudio 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> > [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-esound-compat 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> > [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-module-x11 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> > [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-utils 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3
> >
> > Amarok and the notification system do not play any sound.
> >
> > If I use paplay (from pulseaudio), I do have sound. So, I guess the issue
> > is a "communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.
> >
> > Before this upgrade, everything worked fine.
>
> Which backends are listed when you open the "Backend" tab in System
> Settings > Multimedia > Phonon? Which output devices are listed on the
> "Device Preference" tab? Do you hear any sound when you select one of
> the devices and press the "Test" button on the bottom right hand side?
>
> Also post the output of:
>
> lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio
> cat /proc/asound/cards

Hi Florian,

I'm using vlc backend.

I have 2 "sound cards". Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958) and High
Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI). (The second one, I guess, is
the one related to the HDMI output of the graphic card).

The default audio playback device is the first one (IEC958).

No matter what I'm selecting in the tab "Device preference" or any option of
the tab "Audio Hardware Setup", no sound is getting out when I press the "test
buttons".

Other applications like mplayer, paplay are working fine. The sound is getting
out from the first card (IEC958).

You'll find here under, the result of the commands.

Thanks for you help,

Fred.

------
fburlet@plutonium:~$ lspci -knn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller
[8086:2e20] (rev 03)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d3]
00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root
Port [8086:2e21] (rev 03)
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #4 [8086:3a37]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1a.1 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #5 [8086:3a38]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1a.2 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #6 [8086:3a39]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1a.7 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #2 [8086:3a3c]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio
Controller [8086:3a3e]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8346]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI
Express Root Port 1 [8086:3a40]
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI
Express Port 2 [8086:3a42]
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI
Express Root Port 3 [8086:3a44]
Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #1 [8086:3a34]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.1 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #2 [8086:3a35]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.2 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB
UHCI Controller #3 [8086:3a36]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:1d.7 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2
EHCI Controller #1 [8086:3a3a]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:1e.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge [8086:244e] (rev
90)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation 82801JIB (ICH10) LPC Interface
Controller [8086:3a18]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
00:1f.2 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 4 port
SATA IDE Controller #1 [8086:3a20]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus
Controller [8086:3a30]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
00:1f.5 IDE interface [0101]: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) 2 port
SATA IDE Controller #2 [8086:3a26]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:82d4]
Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT
220] [10de:0a20] (rev a2)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:832f]
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio
Controller [10de:0be2] (rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:832f]
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 02)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8367]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
03:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB368 IDE controller
[197b:2368]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:827e]
Kernel driver in use: pata_jmicron
fburlet@plutonium:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Intel ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
HDA Intel at 0xfcff8000 irq 45
1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
HDA NVidia at 0xfe9fc000 irq 16

Seb 02-22-2012 08:43 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:08:25 +0100,
Frédéric Burlet <fred@namurlug.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:46:47 PM Florian Kulzer wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 18:25:52 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I
>> don't have > sound anymore in KDE.

>> > I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and
>> pulseaudio > have been updated.

>> > Here is an extract of what I see in aptitude's log file.

>> > [UPGRADE] libphonon4 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 -> 4:4.6.0.0-1 >
>> [UPGRADE] libpulse-mainloop-glib0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3 > [UPGRADE]
>> libpulse0 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3 > [UPGRADE] phonon 4:4.6.0really4.5.1-1 ->
>> 4:4.6.0.0-1 > [UPGRADE] phonon-backend-vlc 0.4.1-1 -> 0.5.0-1 >
>> [UPGRADE] pulseaudio 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3 > [UPGRADE]
>> pulseaudio-esound-compat 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3 > [UPGRADE]
>> pulseaudio-module-x11 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3 > [UPGRADE] pulseaudio-utils
>> 1.1-2 -> 1.1-3

>> > Amarok and the notification system do not play any sound.

>> > If I use paplay (from pulseaudio), I do have sound. So, I guess the
>> issue > is a "communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.

>> > Before this upgrade, everything worked fine.

>> Which backends are listed when you open the "Backend" tab in System
>> Settings > Multimedia > Phonon? Which output devices are listed on
>> the "Device Preference" tab? Do you hear any sound when you select
>> one of the devices and press the "Test" button on the bottom right
>> hand side?

>> Also post the output of:

>> lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio cat /proc/asound/cards

> Hi Florian,

> I'm using vlc backend.

I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
-> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings. I had to use the
Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this. AFAIK,
Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
be installed.
phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.


--
Seb


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8739a2ilxp.fsf@kolob.subpolar.dyndns.org">http://lists.debian.org/8739a2ilxp.fsf@kolob.subpolar.dyndns.org

Florian Kulzer 02-22-2012 09:49 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 15:43:14 -0600, Seb wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 22:08:25 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:46:47 PM Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 18:25:52 +0100, Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> >> > Hi,
>
> >> > I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I
> >> > don't have sound anymore in KDE.
>
> >> > I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and
> >> > pulseaudio have been updated.

[...]

> > I'm using vlc backend.
>
> I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings. I had to use the
> Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this. AFAIK,
> Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
> be installed.
> phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
> 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

I currently have these backends installed:

$ dpkg -l phonon-backend-* | awk '/^ii/{print $2,$3}'
phonon-backend-gstreamer 4:4.6.0.0-1
phonon-backend-vlc 0.5.0-1

The gstreamer backend works fine for me, including playing mp3 files
with amarok (version 2.5.0-1).

The vlc backend also works here, but the output volume is much lower, so
I have to crank up both amarok's internal volume control and the kmix
control in the system tray. I have the impression that the vlc backend
has an additional volume control that modulates the other controls.
However, I did not investigate this any further due to lack of time and
motivation; I simply switched back to the gstreamer backend.

--
Regards, |
Florian | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20120222224954.GA23143@isar.localhost">http://lists.debian.org/20120222224954.GA23143@isar.localhost

Martin Steigerwald 02-22-2012 10:04 PM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
Hi Seb, hi everyone,

Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 schrieb Seb:
> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix
> this. AFAIK, Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but
> the
> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:
>
> The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
> be installed.
> phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
> 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

Xine backend is deprected and not maintained anymore upstream.

Amarok can play mpeg3 files fine with at least gstreamer and it shouldn´t be
a problem with VLC backend as well.

Here - ThinkPad T520 with some Intel HD Codec - latest GStreamer backend
from sid works. Latest VLC backend works as well. It even appears to me
that the VLC backend is a bit louder, but I am not sure. Tested in
Systemsettings and Amarok.

martin@merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "(phonon|gstreamer|vlc)"
bluez-gstreamer/sid uptodate 4.98-2
gstreamer0.10-alsa/sid uptodate 0.10.36-1
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg/sid uptodate 0.10.13-2
gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3/sid uptodate 0.10.15.debian-1
gstreamer0.10-gconf/sid uptodate 0.10.31-1
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad/sid uptodate 0.10.23-1
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base/sid uptodate 0.10.36-1
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good/sid uptodate 0.10.31-1
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio/sid uptodate 0.10.31-1
gstreamer0.10-x/sid uptodate 0.10.36-1
libgstreamer-plugins-bad0.10-0/sid uptodate 0.10.23-1
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0/sid uptodate 0.10.36-1
libgstreamer0.10-0/sid uptodate 0.10.36-1
libphonon-dev/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-1
libphonon4/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-1
libqtgstreamer-0.10-0/sid uptodate 0.10.1-2.1
libqtgstreamerui-0.10-0/sid uptodate 0.10.1-2.1
libvlc5/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
libvlccore5/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
phonon/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-1
phonon-backend-gstreamer/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-1
phonon-backend-gstreamer-dbg/sid uptodate 4:4.6.0.0-1
phonon-backend-vlc/sid uptodate 0.5.0-1
phonon-backend-vlc-dbg/sid uptodate 0.5.0-1
qtgstreamer-plugins/sid uptodate 0.10.1-2.1
vlc/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
vlc-data/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
vlc-nox/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
vlc-plugin-notify/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1
vlc-plugin-pulse/sid uptodate 2.0.0-1

Ciao,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201202230004.34075.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201202230004.34075.Martin@lichtvoll.de

Seb 02-23-2012 02:33 AM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:04:33 +0100,
Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> Hi Seb, hi everyone, Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 schrieb Seb:
>> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this.
>> AFAIK, Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
>> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

>> The following packages have unmet dependencies: phonon: Conflicts:
>> phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to be installed.
>> phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
>> 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

> Xine backend is deprected and not maintained anymore upstream.

> Amarok can play mpeg3 files fine with at least gstreamer and it
> shouldn´t be a problem with VLC backend as well.

> Here - ThinkPad T520 with some Intel HD Codec - latest GStreamer
> backend from sid works. Latest VLC backend works as well. It even
> appears to me that the VLC backend is a bit louder, but I am not
> sure. Tested in Systemsettings and Amarok.

Interesting, I found out that I had to purge remove all vlc packages
from my system, apt-get --purge autoremove, and reinstall them all in
order to upgrade to the latest and avoid the problem I posted earlier.
I also found out I was missing the gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 for playing
mpeg3. All is good now.

Florian, for the volume issues try alsamixer from a shell and press "F6"
to select a sound card and check the levels. Kmix doesn't show all
these.

--
Seb


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87fwe2gr62.fsf@kolob.subpolar.dyndns.org">http://lists.debian.org/87fwe2gr62.fsf@kolob.subpolar.dyndns.org

Scott Ferguson 02-23-2012 07:35 AM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On 23/02/12 14:33, Seb wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 00:04:33 +0100,
> Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Seb, hi everyone, Am Mittwoch, 22. Februar 2012 schrieb Seb:
>>> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this.
>>> AFAIK, Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
>>> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:
>

<snipped>

> Florian, for the volume issues try alsamixer from a shell and press "F6"
> to select a sound card and check the levels. Kmix doesn't show all
> these.

Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with
it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only
controls alsa).



Kind regards

--
Iceweasel/Firefox extensions for finding answers to Debian questions:-
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/collections/Scott_Ferguson/debian/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4F45FA50.7050204@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4F45FA50.7050204@gmail.com

Diederik de Haas 02-23-2012 08:03 AM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Tuesday 21 February 2012 18:25:52 Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> I recently "dist-upgraded" my debian unstable and since then I don't have
> sound anymore in KDE.
>
> I checked what has been upgraded and I noticed that phonon and pulseaudio
> have been updated.

Since the upgrade of phonon, I'm getting error msg which I didn't have before, like "The audio
playback device HDA ATI SB (VT1818S Analog) does not work.
Falling back to Default."
I did get that msg with earlier versions of phonon though.

And since the upgrade of phonon, sound doesn't work _sometimes_ , but I haven't found a consistent
cause/effect with it (to report it).
I'm using alsa though.

Diederik


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201202231003.38492.didi.debian@cknow.org">http://lists.debian.org/201202231003.38492.didi.debian@cknow.org

Brad Rogers 02-23-2012 08:26 AM

Phonon and pulseaudio
 
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:38 +0100
Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:

Hello Diederik,

> Since the upgrade of phonon, I'm getting error msg which I didn't have
> before, like "The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT1818S Analog)
> does not work. Falling back to Default."

I get that too. Except the report I get reads it's falling back to the
device that's just failed. Most strange.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
Buy some love at the five and dime
You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart - Eurythmics


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.