Old 02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
Sune Vuorela

Default Phonon and pulseaudio

On 2012-02-27, Alan Ezust <alan.ezust@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we really supposed to use pulseaudio instead of phonon now? How do you

There is nothing that cannot be solved with a additional level of
indirection (except too many levels of indirections).

The phonon audio architecture is basically like this on linux:

(Ascii art coming up)

application
libphonon
phonon-backend-foo
v |
foo > v
|1 pulseaudio2
v v |
alsalib v
v bluetoothaudio
audiodevice

(for various values of foo).

where either 1) (the line from foo to alsa) or 2) pulseaudio and related
lines is used.

So it is not a 'use pulseaudio instead of phonon' but *also* using
pulseaudio.

The advantage of the extra level of indirection is among other things
that it makes rerouting audio very easy.

My current configuration of my 'background noise':

In living room, next to my office, I have a great big stereo. From teh
loudspeakers comes the music by the fabulous artist 'lykke li'.

'lykke li' is played with 'mplayer' on the computer in my office.

To get this to work, I did the following:

installed pulseaudio and bluedevil and the pulseaudio bluetooth and of
course kmix (and mplayer)

Via bluedevil, I configured my bluetooth device in my computer to speak
with the bluetooth device that I have attached to the 'tv audio in' RCA
ports on my stereo.

Then I started playing my sound files, and opened kmix. In kmix, I right
clicked on the mplayer stream and clicked 'move to <device>'. And then
by magic, music on the good speakers in livingroom, while still having
*all* other audio thru the crappy speakersin the computer.

I can as easy route the music back. or route other audio to the
livingroom. with pulse.

There is also somehow network transparncy the same way as there is
bluetooth transparancy, but I haven't yet had the need to figure out
how.

/Sune

ps.: alan - I enjoyed your Qt book.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Iki Sham

Hi folks.
>From this long discussion it seems several people use pulseaudio in KDE.
I installed here directly with pulseaudio (no alsa-base or alsa-utils)
and here kmix always is muted (and with 0% volume level) at the first
login. I think it may be some race issue as if I logout and login
again kmix restores the volume level properly (as probably pulseaudio
is running in the background).
See:*http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=652039*(upgraded
to 4.7.4 and the bug persists).
*I don't know if this is relevant or not but, just in case:
$ cat .xsession-errors |grep -i kmix
kded(1516)/kmix sink_input_cb: Ignoring sink-input due to it being
designated as an event and thus handled by the Event slider
kmix(1868) sink_input_cb: Ignoring sink-input due to it being
designated as an event and thus handled by the Event slider

I know that I'm not alone with this as I saw other people with this
issue in the Debian user forum. Do any of you know if this can be
fixed (no workaround like arbitrarily setting a base volume level with
'kmixctrl -s')?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Nick Leverton

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 07:18:48PM +0000, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> Then I started playing my sound files, and opened kmix. In kmix, I right
> clicked on the mplayer stream and clicked 'move to <device>'. And then
> by magic, music on the good speakers in livingroom, while still having
> *all* other audio thru the crappy speakersin the computer.

Aha, that's the secret of kmix with pulseaudio. Thankyou very much.
It never crossed my mind that clicking on random labels on the screen
might have useful effects ...

Nick

Old 03-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Alan Ezust

Ok, you convinced me. So I am trying pulseaudio again.

Before installing pulseaudio, I was able to see digital as well as
analog outputs for each of my 2 sound cards, now in kmix, I see only
one output device for each sound card, and it's described as
"analog".
And interestingly enough, it seems to be sending out the same signal
to both analog and digital outputs of the computer, which is nice, but
what if I want to choose the analog for some outputs and the digital
for others?
I have not been able to figure out how to choose those as separate
output channels.

$ lspci | grep audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD
Audio Controller
05:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712
[Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)

The built-in intel card actually has 2 digital outputs, one via HDMI
and the other via an optical cable, as well as 5 different analog
outputs (for the 5 channels of surround sound).

How do I get all of my sound devices to be visible again in pulseaudio?

--alan