Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default Phonon and pulseaudio

On 24/02/12 00:55, Robert van den Berg wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com
> <mailtorettyfly.productions@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 23/02/12 14:33, Seb wrote:
>
> Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with
> it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only
> controls alsa).
>

> I'm a bit lost on the current status of the different parts that make up
> audio systems in KDE in Debian Sid. I'm wondering what is the
> recommended setup?

That will depend on who you're prepared to listen to ;-)
The Debian recommended way (and KDE) is pulseaudio (that's why it's
automagically installed).

http://www.pulseaudio.org/

> Phonon, alsa, and/or pulse audio? And a adequate
> backend for Phonon: e.g. VLC or gstreamer?

This particular question - and misunderstanding has been covered many
times on the debian-user list, unfortunately it gets drowned out in the
cries of "uninstall pulseaudio - alsa is all you'll ever need,
everything new is bad". :-)

alsa, esd, sdl, jack, etc are managed by pulseaudio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulseaudio

Pulseaudio is a high level sound management system - it gives you a
central place to deal with all local and remote sound systems, and
allows multiple virtual and physical devices to asynchronously use sound

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/drivers/8100-why-you-should-care-about-pulseaudio-and-how-to-start-doing-it

> Is this the same for Wheezy?

Yes.

> Cheers,
>
> Robert

Useful ref:-
http://freedesktop.org/software/pulseaudio/doxygen/

Kind regards

Old 02-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/02/12 07:50, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:26:25 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:38 +0100 Diederik de Haas wrote:
>>
>> Hello Diederik,
>>
>>> Since the upgrade of phonon, I'm getting error msg which I didn't have
>>> before, like "The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT1818S Analog)
>>> does not work. Falling back to Default."
>>
>> I get that too. Except the report I get reads it's falling back to the
>> device that's just failed. Most strange.

Perhaps it's related to this:-

(sorry, it doesn't affect me, so I can't offer any suggestions)

> This is most likely caused by your sound devices changing their alsa
> card numbers, for example due to a kernel or alsa upgrade, or due to a
> modified hardware configuration (including changes in the presence of
> USB or bluetooth sound devices during boot). In other words, the bizarre
> message "device X does not work, falling back to device X" translates to
> "device X, which I used to know as alsa card 0, does not work anymore,
> therefore I am falling back to device X, which is now card 1 (and I am
> too stupid to recognize that the two are in fact the exact same thing)".
>
> The quickest way to get rid of these messages is to reorder the
> preference list of sound devices in "System Settings > Multimedia >
> Phonon > Device Preference" such that a working instance of the device
> is on top in "Audio Output" and all of its categories (Notifications,
> Music, etc).
>
> I only know one way to eliminate the annoying grayed-out ghosts of past
> cards in the device preference list: Log out of KDE and remove
> ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc, which will then be rebuilt properly
> when phonon starts again. You may have to correct the preference order
> of the devices again after that happens, though. You can also edit the
> file with a text editor to make the necessary corrections if you prefer
> a less invasive approach; the syntax of the entries is pretty
> self-explanatory.

Kind regards

Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:54:10 +1100
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

As you've probably read by now, I've already implemented Florian's
solution. No matter; thanks for your response.

> Perhaps it's related to this:-

The .conf file mentioned in that post doesn't exist here. Whether that's
because, or in spite, of Florian's method I don't know. Just noticed it
was posted only yesterday, and relates to Sid. I'm using Testing. I'll
make a note of it, just in case the problem arises if/when that version
of pulseaudio migrates. Hopefully, that particular issue will be ironed
out before any migration occurs.

> (sorry, it doesn't affect me, so I can't offer any suggestions)

Don't apologise; You offered information that was relevant. If
Florian's suggestion had not worked, yours would have been the next to
try.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 02-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Freitag, 24. Februar 2012 schrieb Scott Ferguson:
> On 24/02/12 07:50, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:26:25 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> >> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:38 +0100 Diederik de Haas wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Diederik,

> >> I get that too. Except the report I get reads it's falling back to
> >> the device that's just failed. Most strange.
>
> Perhaps it's related to this:-

Bob who posts in debian-user regularily reported it as:

http://bugs.debian.org/661095

I also have this issue but aplay still plays sound. Some goes with KDE
applications like systemsettings phonon module.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 24/02/12 21:45, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:54:10 +1100
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
> As you've probably read by now, I've already implemented Florian's
> solution. No matter; thanks for your response.
>
>> Perhaps it's related to this:-
>> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/02/msg01791.html
>
> The .conf file mentioned in that post doesn't exist here.

Likewise on my builds. No pulse-alsa.conf anywhere.

> Whether that's
> because, or in spite, of Florian's method I don't know. Just noticed it
> was posted only yesterday, and relates to Sid. I'm using Testing. I'll
> make a note of it, just in case the problem arises if/when that version
> of pulseaudio migrates. Hopefully, that particular issue will be ironed
> out before any migration occurs.
>
>> (sorry, it doesn't affect me, so I can't offer any suggestions)
>
> Don't apologise; You offered information that was relevant. If
> Florian's suggestion had not worked, yours would have been the next to
> try.

The poorly worded "apology" 'meant' - "I don't have personal experience
with this" (but I know the poster to be knowledgeable and reliable). :-)

The only problems I've every had with sound were:-
old Thinkpads using a sound card unsupported in Debian alsa (hasn't been
a problem for some years)
pulseaudio configuration (no longer a problem since I discovered paman)
Amarok crashes (I put up with them, it's just not included in client
builds.)

Kind regards

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 06:21:38 +1100
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> The poorly worded "apology" 'meant' - "I don't have personal experience
> with this" (but I know the poster to be knowledgeable and
> reliable). :-)

Ah, right. I know Florian to be knowledgeable. Whilst I don't post
frequently, I read a good deal of what's written here and in d-u. It
doesn't take long to find out who the experts in various areas are.

> The only problems I've every had with sound were:-
> old Thinkpads using a sound card unsupported in Debian alsa (hasn't
> been a problem for some years)

My Thinkpad has, err sorry, *had* the same problem as I mentioned in
this thread. The same solution worked there (obviously). Sound worked
out the box.

> pulseaudio configuration (no longer a problem since I discovered paman)
> Amarok crashes (I put up with them, it's just not included in client
> builds.)

I don't Amarok, so can't compare experiences in that respect.

Sorry. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
No you can't hop into my shower
Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) - P!nk

Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Facundo Aguilera

El Jue 23 Feb 2012 17:30:04 Frédéric Burlet escribió:
> Well, good news.
> I managed to get back the sound for my user by removing ~/.pulse* files.
>
> But once I play with the settings in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -
> > Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.
>
> Now, I don't touch anything anymore
>
> Fred.

I don't have the same problem, but something similar. If I purge pulseaudio, I don't have sound anymore, no matter what I do with alsa devices or channels. I don't researched so much, just reinstalled pulseaudio and everything works as before.

In my case, the problem stays in a lower level that pulse, but it seems that each system have different problems with sound...

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 25/02/12 06:48, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 06:21:38 +1100 Scott Ferguson
> <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
>> The poorly worded "apology" 'meant' - "I don't have personal
>> experience with this" (but I know the poster to be knowledgeable
>> and reliable). :-)
>
> Ah, right. I know Florian to be knowledgeable.

Not to be inferred that I consider Florian *not* knowledgeable :-)

Just that I find those that posts heresay (google ain't evidence)
"solutions", um, irritating.

I shall now return to lurking and researching "concise" and
"unambiguous" :-)

<snipped>

> I don't Amarok

You're missing out. ;-)
IMHO it's up there with K3B, Digikam, FontMatrix, and FrozenBubble -
similar programs are just pale imitations.

Kind regards

Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Brad Rogers

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:10:38 +1100
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> Not to be inferred that I consider Florian *not* knowledgeable :-)

Good grief, no!

Ah, too easy to misconstrue what was meant.

> Just that I find those that posts heresay (google ain't evidence)
> "solutions", um, irritating.

Indeed. I have similar feelings about those that cite Wikipedia.

> > I don't Amarok
> You're missing out. ;-)
> IMHO it's up there with K3B, Digikam, FontMatrix, and FrozenBubble -
> similar programs are just pale imitations.

K3b I use regularly, but the rest, not so much. To be fair though, K3b
is just a flashy front end for a load of other stuff. OTOH, it does
make things so much easier than using all that "other stuff" directly.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
Stained glass windows keep the cold outside
Religion - Public Image Ltd

Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Alan Ezust

I have to say, this recent upgrade was a rather painful for similar reasons to others that posted in this thread.

I have 2 sound cards, each one with digital and analog outputs. After a recent upgrade,
all but 2 devices were found, and only one of them actually worked. And this was regardless

of whether I used vlc or gstreamer as a phonon backend.

Are we really supposed to use pulseaudio instead of phonon now? How do you configure kde for that? Because I've never seen a debian-kde installation pre-configured that way.

What brought my old devices back was probably
** removing .kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc
but I also removed* ~/.pulse* files just to be safe.

And then I had to unmute the devices from kmix before I finally heard sound again.