Old 02-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Robert van den Berg

Default Phonon and pulseaudio

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

On 23/02/12 14:33, Seb wrote:

Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with

it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only

controls alsa).

I'm a bit lost on the current status of the different parts that make up audio systems in KDE in Debian Sid. I'm wondering what is the recommended setup? Phonon, alsa, and/or pulse audio? And a adequate backend for Phonon: e.g. VLC or gstreamer?

Is this the same for Wheezy?

Cheers,

Robert

Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Seb

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 19:35:28 +1100,
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with
> it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only
> controls alsa).

If you have alsa handling your devices, then paman certainly would use
it, so alsamixer is just a more direct way to do the same AFAIK.

--
Seb

Old 02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2012-02-23, Robert van den Berg <vandenberg.ra78@gmail.com> wrote:
> --f46d0442807ef6407f04b9a20030
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Scott Ferguson <
> prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23/02/12 14:33, Seb wrote:
>>
>> Try paman (Pulse Audio Manager) - set the levels for your devices with
>> it, then just use KMix to control the master levels (alsamixer only
>> controls alsa).
>>

> I'm a bit lost on the current status of the different parts that make up
> audio systems in KDE in Debian Sid. I'm wondering what is the recommended
> setup? Phonon, alsa, and/or pulse audio? And a adequate backend for Phonon:
> e.g. VLC or gstreamer?

phonon and (vlc or gstreamer)
pulseaudio is optional, I use it and it works great. Also for my
bluetooth headset.
my friend modestas has so far lost his fights with pulseaudio. Or maybe
pulseaudio lost.

/Sune

Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Robert van den Berg

On Thursday 23 February 2012 16:31:43 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> phonon and (vlc or gstreamer)
> pulseaudio is optional, I use it and it works great. Also for my
> bluetooth headset.

Thanks for the answer. Does alsa still play a role?

Robert

Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Frédéric Burlet

On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:43:14 PM Seb wrote:

> >> issue > is a "communication problem" between phonon and pulseaudio.

> >> Which backends are listed when you open the "Backend" tab in System
> >> Settings > Multimedia > Phonon? Which output devices are listed on
> >> the "Device Preference" tab? Do you hear any sound when you select
> >> one of the devices and press the "Test" button on the bottom right
> >> hand side?
> >>
> >> Also post the output of:
> >>
> >> lspci -knn | grep -iA2 audio cat /proc/asound/cards
> >
> > Hi Florian,
> >
> > I'm using vlc backend.
>
> I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings. I had to use the
> Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this. AFAIK,
> Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

> phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
> be installed.
> phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
> 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.

I did a few extra tests.

I created a new user and started a new session and I got sound!
Nevertheless, once I play with the options in System Settings -> Multimedia ->
Phonon -> Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.
(still playing with vlc backend)

I don't know how to more investigate in order to locate the issue.

Fred.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:20 PM
David Baron

On Thursday 23 February 2012 20:54:16 Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:43:14 PM Seb wrote:

> > > Hi Florian,
> > >
> > > I'm using vlc backend.
> >
> > I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> > I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> > -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings. I had to use the
> > Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> > New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this. AFAIK,
> > Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> > phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

> > phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
> > be installed.
> > phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
> > 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.
>
> I did a few extra tests.
>
> I created a new user and started a new session and I got sound!
> Nevertheless, once I play with the options in System Settings -> Multimedia
> -> Phonon -> Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.
> (still playing with vlc backend)
>
> I don't know how to more investigate in order to locate the issue.

[Should cut the above but do not know where]

I got rid of pulse a long time ago.

Run 3.2 kernel, no sound from browsers, etc. Something like Timidity and
usually vlc will play.

Run the 3.1 kernel, it all plays.

Might be the problem.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Frédéric Burlet

On Thursday, February 23, 2012 07:54:16 PM Frédéric Burlet wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:43:14 PM Seb wrote:

> > > Hi Florian,
> > >
> > > I'm using vlc backend.
> >
> > I think the vlc backend is currently broken, at least in my sid system.
> > I was also using it until I noticed that simply going to System Settings
> > -> Multimedia -> Phonon crashed System Settings. I had to use the
> > Gstreamer backend by editing ~/.kde/share/config/servicetype_profilerc.
> > New vlc packages are on their way which will hopefully fix this. AFAIK,
> > Amarok can only use the Xine backend to play *.mp3, but the
> > phonon-backend-xine is not currently installable:

> > phonon: Conflicts: phonon-backend-xine but 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1 is to
> > be installed.
> > phonon-backend-xine: Depends: libphonon4 (= 4:4.6.0really4.4.2-1) but
> > 4:4.6.0.0-1 is installed.
>
> I did a few extra tests.
>
> I created a new user and started a new session and I got sound!
> Nevertheless, once I play with the options in System Settings -> Multimedia
> -> Phonon -> Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.
> (still playing with vlc backend)
>
> I don't know how to more investigate in order to locate the issue.
>
> Fred.

Well, good news.
I managed to get back the sound for my user by removing ~/.pulse* files.

But once I play with the settings in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Phonon -
> Audio Hardware Setup... I don't have sound anymore.

Now, I don't touch anything anymore

Fred.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 09:26:25 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:03:38 +0100 Diederik de Haas wrote:
>
> Hello Diederik,
>
> > Since the upgrade of phonon, I'm getting error msg which I didn't have
> > before, like "The audio playback device HDA ATI SB (VT1818S Analog)
> > does not work. Falling back to Default."
>
> I get that too. Except the report I get reads it's falling back to the
> device that's just failed. Most strange.

This is most likely caused by your sound devices changing their alsa
card numbers, for example due to a kernel or alsa upgrade, or due to a
modified hardware configuration (including changes in the presence of
USB or bluetooth sound devices during boot). In other words, the bizarre
message "device X does not work, falling back to device X" translates to
"device X, which I used to know as alsa card 0, does not work anymore,
therefore I am falling back to device X, which is now card 1 (and I am
too stupid to recognize that the two are in fact the exact same thing)".

The quickest way to get rid of these messages is to reorder the
preference list of sound devices in "System Settings > Multimedia >
Phonon > Device Preference" such that a working instance of the device
is on top in "Audio Output" and all of its categories (Notifications,
Music, etc).

I only know one way to eliminate the annoying grayed-out ghosts of past
cards in the device preference list: Log out of KDE and remove
~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc, which will then be rebuilt properly
when phonon starts again. You may have to correct the preference order
of the devices again after that happens, though. You can also edit the
file with a text editor to make the necessary corrections if you prefer
a less invasive approach; the syntax of the entries is pretty
self-explanatory.

--
Regards, |
Florian | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:50:48 +0100
Florian Kulzer <debian-lists@florian-kulzer.eu> wrote:

Hello Florian,

> This is most likely caused by your sound devices changing their alsa
> card numbers, for example due to a kernel or alsa upgrade, or due to a

Could be either of those; It's been happening for a while, and both the
kernel and alsa have been upgraded in that time. I did try googling for
methods to rectify, but ended up with a lot of information, but little
in the way of solutions.

> modified hardware configuration (including changes in the presence of
> USB or bluetooth sound devices during boot). In other words, the

No sound devices have been added. Well, a webcam with mic, but that's
not what you meant, I know.

> preference list of sound devices in "System Settings > Multimedia >
> Phonon > Device Preference" such that a working instance of the device
> is on top in "Audio Output" and all of its categories (Notifications,

Noted, but...

> I only know one way to eliminate the annoying grayed-out ghosts of past
> cards in the device preference list: Log out of KDE and remove
> ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc, which will then be rebuilt

...as I also see greyed out references to the sound card, I decided to
try this first. Lo and behold, when I started the next KDE session, no
warning about sound card recognition, and checking the Phonon settings
page, no greyed out devices. So all is now working sweetly.

> properly when phonon starts again. You may have to correct the
> preference order of the devices again after that happens, though. You

Not necessary, using the "two birds with one stone" approach above.

> can also edit the file with a text editor to make the necessary
> corrections if you prefer a less invasive approach; the syntax of the
> entries is pretty self-explanatory.

But being the crap typist I am, prone to errors, and also a certain
amount of guess work as to which were the working devices, and which were
the bogus ones. Although, if pushed, I'd guess at highest devicenum
being the working one.

Anyway, whatever was the correct device, I now have a working system,
and a method for correcting the problem again, should it recur.

Florian, you have my eternal gratitude for giving me the solution to
this problem. Your explanation has been added to my list of "how-to"
files.

Today I've had two issues resolved. This one, and my weird printing of
PDFs problem whereby they would only print in greyscale. Of course, the
printing issue isn't KDE relevant but eases my 'pain'.

Once again, thank you Florian.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2012-02-23, Robert van den Berg <vandenberg.ra78@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 23 February 2012 16:31:43 Sune Vuorela wrote:
>> phonon and (vlc or gstreamer)
>> pulseaudio is optional, I use it and it works great. Also for my
>> bluetooth headset.
>>
> Thanks for the answer. Does alsa still play a role?

Yeah. and the kernel also plays a role.

/Sune