Old 01-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Iki Sham

Default Questions about the default activities in 4.7.4

1) When I start the 'Photos' activity I get an error for a widget (*http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/snapshot106.php*- note: the title is wrong ). Since*I've hand-picked the KDE packages in my system, I thought maybe I'm missing some package. Or is it just some bug?

2) When starting the other default activities ('Desktop Icons' and 'Search and Launch'), the window that asks if we want to run the selected applications is empty. I suppose this means that the activities aren't configured to run any app and it's just some bug because in this case the window shouldn't be displayed. Am I right?

3) The 'Photos' activity runs digikam and gwenview. Since these apps aren't shown (opened), does it mean that they're just 'pre-launched' (running in the background)? I supposed this because there's something digikam related running in the background and although there's nothing with a gwenview name running maybe the folder widget is it?

Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Eshat Cakar

Hi,

Am Thu, 12 Jan 2012 10:55:27 -0200
schrieb Iki Sham <ikisham@gmail.com>:

> 1) When I start the 'Photos' activity I get an error for a widget (
> http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/snapshot106.php - note: the title is
> wrong ). Since I've hand-picked the KDE packages in my system, I
> thought maybe I'm missing some package. Or is it just some bug?

I can help with this, since you probably might not have
plasma-widgets-addons installed.

Best regards,

--
eshat cakar gpg-id: 799B 95D5
web: www.eshat.de

Old 01-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Thursday 12 January 2012 13:55:27 Iki Sham wrote:
> 1) When I start the 'Photos' activity I get an error for a widget (
> http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/snapshot106.php - note: the title is wrong
> ). Since I've hand-picked the KDE packages in my system, I thought maybe
> I'm missing some package. Or is it just some bug?

I've hand-picked my KDE packages as well and the Photos activity is only a blank (default)
background image. IOW there's nothing in it (for me).

> 2) When starting the other default activities ('Desktop Icons' and 'Search
> and Launch'), the window that asks if we want to run the selected
> applications is empty. I suppose this means that the activities aren't
> configured to run any app and it's just some bug because in this case the
> window shouldn't be displayed. Am I right?

You get more then me then ;-)
The 'Desktop Icons' activity shows a folder icon for my home folder and a trash icon. Nothing more.
The 'Search and Launch' activity is just as useful as the Photos acitivity, iow only an empty
background image.

> 3) The 'Photos' activity runs digikam and gwenview. Since these apps aren't
> shown (opened), does it mean that they're just 'pre-launched' (running in
> the background)? I supposed this because there's something digikam related
> running in the background and although there's nothing with a gwenview name
> running maybe the folder widget is it?

Sounds reasonable, but it doesn't run any of those on my system (but don't have digikam installed).
You can check if a program is running by pressing Ctlr+Esc.
Afaik the folder widget and gwenview don't have a (direct) relation.

Regards,
Diederik

Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Iki Sham

> 1) When I start the 'Photos' activity I get an error for a widget (

> http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/snapshot106.php - note: the title is

> wrong ). Since I've hand-picked the KDE packages in my system, I

> thought maybe I'm missing some package. Or is it just some bug?

I can help with this, since you probably might not have

plasma-widgets-addons installed.

True, will try that.Thank you.*

Old 01-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Iki Sham

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:

On Thursday 12 January 2012 13:55:27 Iki Sham wrote:

> 1) When I start the 'Photos' activity I get an error for a widget (

> http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/snapshot106.php - note: the title is wrong

> ). Since I've hand-picked the KDE packages in my system, I thought maybe

> I'm missing some package. Or is it just some bug?

I've hand-picked my KDE packages as well and the Photos activity is only a blank (default)

background image. IOW there's nothing in it (for me).

You may want to delete ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop and ~/.kde/share/config/activitymanagerrc and copy /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop to ~/.kde/share/apps/ so you start with the default activities (as long as you don't have any activity you want to keep).
*
> 2) When starting the other default activities ('Desktop Icons' and 'Search

> and Launch'), the window that asks if we want to run the selected

> applications is empty. I suppose this means that the activities aren't

> configured to run any app and it's just some bug because in this case the

> window shouldn't be displayed. Am I right?

You get more then me then ;-)

The 'Desktop Icons' activity shows a folder icon for my home folder and a trash icon. Nothing more.

The 'Search and Launch' activity is just as useful as the Photos acitivity, iow only an empty

background image.
Install kde-plasma-netbook (it's a very tiny package) (and first do what I suggested above to reset the activities).*

> 3) The 'Photos' activity runs digikam and gwenview. Since these apps aren't

> shown (opened), does it mean that they're just 'pre-launched' (running in

> the background)? I supposed this because there's something digikam related

> running in the background and although there's nothing with a gwenview name

> running maybe the folder widget is it?

Sounds reasonable, but it doesn't run any of those on my system (but don't have digikam installed).

You can check if a program is running by pressing Ctlr+Esc.

Afaik the folder widget and gwenview don't have a (direct) relation.

Regards,

*Diederik

Regards.*

Old 01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Thursday 12 January 2012 14:27:53 Iki Sham wrote:
> You may want to delete ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop and
> ~/.kde/share/config/activitymanagerrc and copy
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop to ~/.kde/share/apps/ so you start with
> the default activities (as long as you don't have any activity you want to
> keep).

Good call. I had experimented (and created) with activities before, so thats quite likely the cause
of the default activities not doing what they're supposed to do. Thanks.

Diederik

Old 01-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Iki Sham

> You may want to delete ~/.kde/share/apps/plasma-desktop and

> ~/.kde/share/config/activitymanagerrc and copy

> /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop to ~/.kde/share/apps/ so you start with

> the default activities (as long as you don't have any activity you want to

> keep).

Good call. I had experimented (and created) with activities before, so thats quite likely the cause

of the default activities not doing what they're supposed to do. Thanks.

Diederik

Yes but I noticed you may have to delete ~/.kde/share/config/plasma* too(anything you delete there is reinstated back with the default file but the things deleted in ~/.kde/share/apps, unless the whole .kde folder is deleted I think one has to copy the default file from /usr/share/kde4/apps) and if you have installed kde-plasma-netbook (and ran it already) maybe delete ~/.kde/share/autostart/kde-plasma-netbook.desktop too.
*
As for my other question, gwenview is probably related to that missing widget in the screenshot as I installed the widget-addons and it's a picture viewer addon.