Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Beojan Stanislaus

Default Problem adding a second launcher to the panel

On Wednesday 04 January 2012 13:16:42 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On Squeeze I'd like to add a second instance of the Application Launcher
> Menu that just consists of entries from a subdirectory on the default
> Application Launcher Menu.
>
> The standard Application Launcher Menu is not set to Kickoff Menu Style.
>
> 1. Unlock Widgets
> 2. Navigate the default Application Launcher Menu to the Internet
> directory, and then to the custom directory below it called "Remote".
> 3. Right-click on the "Remote" entry and select "Add to Panel" from the
> drop-down menu.
> A new instance of an Application Launcher Menu then appears on the Panel.
>
> All good so far - and the second instance of the Application Launcher
> Menu has the icon from the "Remote" directory, and is not in Kickoff
> Menu Style.
>
> Problem A - apart from the icon and location, the second Application
> Launcher Menu is identical to the first - instead of just being the
> subdirectory of Internet.[*1]
>
> Problem B - editing the second Application Launcher Menu results in
> changes to both menus... I want to keep the original, full, Application
> Launcher Menu *and* have a different, second, Application Launcher Menu
> that displays a subset of the first menu.
>

> I've tried other launchers - but couldn't work out how to add them to
> the menu, and they didn't have the functionality or the layout I wanted.
>
> All that's desired is a simple laucher consisting of a single menu with
> half a dozen entries for various remote sessions (vpn, ssh, rdp, vnc etc).
>
> Adding those entries to the Panel is not an option as the Panel is
> already filled with the most commonly used Applications.
>
> I don't want things on the "desktop" - it's something I expect to see
> only briefly when starting the first application in an Activity.

I think you can just add a folder view to the panel, pointing to a folder
containing links to those sessions.

If you are looking for a second menu containing an entire subdirectory of the
main menu, you can do that with lancelot by dragging the subdirectory to the
panel from lancelot, and selecting shelf.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Scott Ferguson

Progress made - many thanks.

On 05/01/12 00:41, Beojan Stanislaus wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2012 13:16:42 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On Squeeze I'd like to add a second instance of the Application Launcher
>> Menu that just consists of entries from a subdirectory on the default
>> Application Launcher Menu.

<snipped>

> I think you can just add a folder view to the panel, pointing to a folder
> containing links to those sessions.

You're correct - I can. (thanks)

If I choose => Locations => specify a place,
"applications:/Internet/Remote/" I get the submenu on the Panel as I want.
A black square instead on an icon on the Panel though.

> If you are looking for a second menu containing an entire subdirectory of the
> main menu, you can do that with lancelot by dragging the subdirectory to the
> panel from lancelot, and selecting shelf.

I can drag the subdirectory from Lancelot Launcher to the Panel and
choose from "Folder View", "Lancelot Part", or "Icon". Perhaps shelf is
an option available in later Debian releases.

Lancelot Part, or Icon, just result in a blank pop-up (regardless of
settings). So scratch those options for linking a subdirectory.

Folder View via Lancelot does the same thing as Folder View - also no
Panel icon except the blank icon is white.

So I have 90% of what I want - I just need to work out how to associate
an icon with the Panel entry. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Scott Ferguson

Please ignore that noise - just tried some tests with a default install
of KDE using default themes. Creation of a custom sub-menu is easily
added to the Panel - and functions as desired (including an icon
association.

Clearly some on my config changes (KIOSK settings?) or custom theming
has broken something.

<snipped>

Cheers