Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Dietz Pröpper

Default KDE SC 4.7 available in qt-kde.debian.net

José Manuel Santamaría Lema:

> KDE Software Compilation 4.7.2 (except kdepim) has been uploaded to
> http://qt-kde.debian.net/

Hey guys, should you ever drop in my are, I owe you a couple of beer. And
we have very fine beer here :-).

In short, niiice work!

regards,
Dietz

Old 11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 26. November 2011 schrieb José Manuel Santamaría Lema:
> Hello,

Hi José!

> KDE Software Compilation 4.7.2 (except kdepim) has been uploaded to
> http://qt-kde.debian.net/

Yieeha! Thank you and all the others who worked on it very much! I am
grateful for it. I bet it has been a lot of work!

Thanks for omitting kdepim for now. From what I read on kdepim-users
mailinglist KDEPIM 2, especially KMail 2, can still make a lot of trouble.

> KDEPIM 4.7
> =======
>
> While developing the 4.7 packages our fellow developer Eshat Cakar
> experienced some important problems with kmail. On the other hand,
> kdepim 4.4.x wasn't tested against 4.7 by upstream KDE developers
> (unlike what happened with the 4.6.x releases). Therefore, this may
> raise some new bugs.[1]
>
> In hope that we are choosing the lesser of two evils, we are skipping
> kdepim 4.7 for now.
>
> Last but not least, note that kdepim developers work on one of the most
> "dangerous" module (this module can chew users' data if there are
> important bugs) so be patient with them, they deserve our respect.

Yes of course. I read in KDE commit digests about lots of bug fixes in
KDEPIM since 4.7.0 release.

I read that one nasty data loss bug while moving mails from one folder to
another has been fixed meanwhile. According to Andras Mantia who does a
immense job informing users about current pitfalls and fixing bugs, it has
been fixed in 4.7.2 and recent Akonadi server:

"Still there were reports of data losing, why? Unfortunately programmers
are not perfect and introduce bugs in the codebase. One of the most severe
bugs caused real data losing when copying mails from one folder to
another. This is fixed with KDE 4.7.2+ and any recent Akonadi server. There
are other bugs around, but none will cause losing your original data
files."

Akonadi misconception #1: where is my data?
http://blogs.kde.org/node/4503

IMHO this blog is good to read for anyone who wants to use KDEPIM 2 in the
future.

Its interesting to note that he thinks that none of the other bugs will
cause losing original data. But there are still nasty performance and
other behavorial problems and it seems the default MySQL database setup is
not safe against crashes or suspend/resume issues. There is a KDE bug open
for that which suggests changing the InnoDB configuration for MySQL. I can
dig it up again when needed.

> [1] These bugs probably won't be fixed by us, since we hope to provide
> any kdepim 4.7.x which works better than 4.7.2.

Yep, sure.

I agree to your reasoning with KDEPIM 2.

So, I will wait till tomorrow or so, before trying to upgrade .

Thanks again,

Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Xabi Leon

Hi, thanks for this upload and all the nice work for KDE in Debian !!

Juste a little problem : we can't safely remove kdebase-bin, because the new Rekonq 0.8 still depends on it.

Same problem with Frescobaldi.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 27. November 2011 schrieb Xabi Leon:
> Hi, thanks for this upload and all the nice work for KDE in Debian !!

Hi Xabi,

> Juste a little problem : we can't safely remove kdebase-bin, because
> the new Rekonq 0.8 still depends on it.

Had some little hichups during upgrade, but nothing serious. aptitude -t
experimental-snapshots upgrade didn´t seem to get kdm, so I upgraded it
and kde-workspace manually. Maybe some little stuff is still at 4.6.5. Will
check later.

Rekonq 0.8 installed just fine here.

> Same problem with Frescobaldi.

Don´t have that one installed.

Experiences from first login are good. KDE 4.7.2 basically works. The date
format of the clock in the systray got lost. I remember about that this
clock has been updated. No problem to set it again.

I have been a bit frightened as I saw that my calendar and journal were
not displayed anymore. I added the file
~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics which was still there and fine to
Akonadi resource. Before it hasn´t been in there, so I do not understand
why it worked before. Well now I have my calendar again. All is fine. I
wonder whether I can still select which one of my calendars a journal
entry should go to now that I have to files in the Akonadi resource. I was
not able to create two different Akonadi resources. But if need be I ask
this on kdepim-users mailinglist.

So, so far, so good.

Thanks,

Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
José Manuel Santamaría Lema

Xabi Leon <xabilon@free.fr>
> Hi, thanks for this upload and all the nice work for KDE in Debian !!
>
> Juste a little problem : we can't safely remove kdebase-bin, because the
> new Rekonq 0.8 still depends on it.
>
> Same problem with Frescobaldi.

Thanks. I've just fixed rekonq in git. Frescobaldi will be fixed later, at least
after we have KDE SC 4.7.x in the archive.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM
José Manuel Santamaría Lema

Diggory Hardy <diggory.hardy@gmail.com>
> Hi,
>
> Cool! I was hoping to install rekonq 0.8 without upgrading everything else
> until its had a little more testing, but I suppose this isn't possible due
> to packaging?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Diggory

Hi,

please next time reply to the list. No, installing rekonq in 4.6 isn't
possible because it needs at least KDE 4.7, otherwise I would have uploaded it
to sid.