Old 11-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Stephan Hachinger

Default desktop extremely unresponsive (4.6.5 etc.), strange workaround

Dear all,

I installed KDE 4.6.5 from debian-desktop.org on squeeze (and actually have replaced it now with a KDE 4.7.3 re-compiled from Ubuntu). I know, all this certainly isn't "a good idea", but maybe some of you have a hint as to my problem:

The Plasma deskop is (with 4.6.5 and 4.7.3) extremely slow -- ie I click on the K menu and it freezes for 1min before the K menu appears. This is with and without graphics effects switched on (geforce 8200 w/ nvidia driver). I have also tried (w/o change) to switch off the start of all "services at system startup" in the system settings. And of course with a empty .kde in my home, and as normal user or as root. Nothing helped.

However, the problem completely disappears when I do not use ksmserver in /usr/bin/startkde, ie I replace

#kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM

by:

kwrapper4 kwin &
kwrapper4 plasma-desktop &
kwrapper4 krunner &
test -n "$ksplash_pid" && kill "$ksplash_pid" 2>/dev/null

I have put the .xsession-errors for the first (original startkde, "bad") and the 2nd (modified startkde, no ksmserver, "ok") case in:

http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-bad
http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-ok

If anyone has an idea, I'll be very thankful and he's invited for a coffee in case of success (ie some coffee powder bought online & sent to him or so ).

Cheers,

Stephan

Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 13. November 2011 schrieb Stephan Hachinger:
> Dear all,
>
> I installed KDE 4.6.5 from debian-desktop.org on squeeze (and actually
> have replaced it now with a KDE 4.7.3 re-compiled from Ubuntu). I
> know, all this certainly isn't "a good idea", but maybe some of you
> have a hint as to my problem:
>
> The Plasma deskop is (with 4.6.5 and 4.7.3) extremely slow -- ie I
> click on the K menu and it freezes for 1min before the K menu appears.
> This is with and without graphics effects switched on (geforce 8200 w/
> nvidia driver). I have also tried (w/o change) to switch off the start
> of all "services at system startup" in the system settings. And of
> course with a empty .kde in my home, and as normal user or as root.
> Nothing helped.

We had it about problems with NVidia drivers before, but I do not use
NVidia cards, so I do not care about the details.

> However, the problem completely disappears when I do not use ksmserver
> in /usr/bin/startkde, ie I replace
>
> #kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
>
> by:
>
> kwrapper4 kwin &
> kwrapper4 plasma-desktop &
> kwrapper4 krunner &
> test -n "$ksplash_pid" && kill "$ksplash_pid" 2>/dev/null
>
> I have put the .xsession-errors for the first (original startkde,
> "bad") and the 2nd (modified startkde, no ksmserver, "ok") case in:
>
> http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-bad
> http://home.arcor.de/stephan.hachinger/xsession-errors-ok

It seems you are running KDE as root user:

kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/root/.kde/socket-STEPHAN/kdeinit4__0)
failed: : No such file or directory
Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!

I strongly recommend that you use a regular user for it.

On a first glance both xsession-errors looked quite simular to me. Are you
sure you got the right one for the good case?

> If anyone has an idea, I'll be very thankful and he's invited for a
> coffee in case of success (ie some coffee powder bought online & sent
> to him or so ).

The other things I found:

- Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-T2YWVptAcv: Verbindungsaufbau
abgelehnt

=> But thats even in the ok case. Is dbus running at all? KDE 4 heavily
relies on DBUS.

- wicd-client seems to segfault, maybe try with deinstalled wicd-client?
Which one do you have installed? The kde or gtk variant?

- Akonadi does not be able to start the MySQL database server... did you
install mysql-server-core-5.1 or something like that?

Ciao,

Old 11-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Stephan Hachinger

Hi Martin,

thanks very much for looking at it and replying !!

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 14:45:23 +0100
Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 13. November 2011 schrieb Stephan Hachinger:
(...)
> > I installed KDE 4.6.5 from debian-desktop.org on squeeze (and actually
> > have replaced it now with a KDE 4.7.3 re-compiled from Ubuntu).
(...)
> > The Plasma deskop is (with 4.6.5 and 4.7.3) extremely slow -- ie I
> > click on the K menu and it freezes for 1min before the K menu appears.
> > This is with and without graphics effects switched on (geforce 8200 w/
> > nvidia driver). I have also tried (w/o change) to switch off the start
> > of all "services at system startup" in the system settings. And of
> > course with a empty .kde in my home, and as normal user or as root.
> > Nothing helped.
(...)
> > However, the problem completely disappears when I do not use ksmserver
> > in /usr/bin/startkde, ie I replace
> >
> > #kwrapper4 ksmserver $KDEWM
> >
> > by:
> >
> > kwrapper4 kwin &
> > kwrapper4 plasma-desktop &
> > kwrapper4 krunner &
> > test -n "$ksplash_pid" && kill "$ksplash_pid" 2>/dev/null
> >
> > I have put the .xsession-errors for the first (original startkde,
> > "bad") and the 2nd (modified startkde, no ksmserver, "ok") case in:
(...)

> On a first glance both xsession-errors looked quite simular to me. Are you
> sure you got the right one for the good case?

Yep!

> The other things I found:
>
> - Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer:
> Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-T2YWVptAcv: Verbindungsaufbau
> abgelehnt
(...)
> - Akonadi does not be able to start the MySQL database server... did you
> install mysql-server-core-5.1 or something like that?
(...)

There was a stupid problem: ALL: 127.0.0.1 / ALL: localhost was missing in /etc/hosts.allow. Fixed that. Yet, the situation remained strange: When starting KDE with KDM -> problem gone. With startx (as I normally do) it persisted -- although there was no apparent difference in how the X server was started.

Finally, I decided to upgrade the whole system to testing. This fixed the problem. Sorry that I did not track down the issue further -- would have been interesting but I was running out of time.

Martin, if you want that coffee, get in contact pls

Cheers

Stephan