Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 AM
Scott Ferguson

Default How can I find the path to various icons

On 23/10/11 10:49, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
>
> First, I've snipped the bulk of your input. It hit the mark and
> very helpful, thank you.
>
> For some reason VB is under Utilities for me, rather than System.

:-)
I *only* have the K Desktop Environment installed - you have many
Desktop Environments installed [*1], so in your case the KDE menu
"inherited" the application "categories" of an/other Desktop
Environments (probably GNOME).

> Other than that, I found everything I asked for.
>
> I've left your first comments below because it raised another
> related point I wanted to get at.
>
> [...]
>
>>> A detailed example:
>>>
>>> An icon for Virtual Box appears in my `Favorites'
>>
>> It will also appear elsewhere (launcher => System => VirtualBox)
>> Favourites is just a shortcut to the launcher entry.
>
> A word of explanation: I put VB under favorites my self. Here is
> why. First it looked like a long job to find it by hand;

[*1] Choice is a good thing, as you have so many choices - it must be a
*very* good thing. Right? ;-p

> so I used the search box to find it... I still could not determine
> where it was in the menus.

It's some times convenient to add "favourites" to either the panel or
the "desktop" - in which case you can "hide" it in the menu - that will
reduce the number of menu entries to trawl through.

> Seems like something I should be able to
> see from the `search' output (the path to the icon in the menus)

A reasonable "wish" - probably just need to tweak the search plugin.

> But since I couldn't and I didn't want to use search every time... I
> drug it to `favorites' since that is the first thing that opens.

If desktop widgets are unlocked - you also have the option of adding
VirtualBox (or any application) to the panel or the desktop.
Additionally, if you frequently use a particular VirtualBox session you
can edit the link to point directly at the given session. eg. Unlock
widgets,

> I say all that to point up the fact that (In my opinion) the path
> information would often be nearly as useful as finding the item. It
> seems a serious shortcoming to the menu `search' dialog, that it
> does not provide the path (inside the menus) for the items it finds.

Many users only have the KDE installed - so the menu has few entries. I
usually disable the search and command window for general users. Only
Applications show on the menu (even logout/shutdown is removed). It's
fairly simple to "hide" menu entries - using either the "hide" option in
kmenuedit, or when not available, put a . into the start of the menu
entry name. As a general rule I like to remove any package that isn't
needed - makes it easier to document, maintain and secure. And in most
case the KDE default applications are sufficient (don't need 7 web
browsers).

I suspect your wish would be best as a capability (search plugin) rather
than a default. One of the beauties of KDE4 is that the basic interface
can be kept very simple without sacrificing the ability to drill down
for extended choices.

> PS - what does %F mean at the end of a command path, such as the
> one for emacs23: /usr/bin/emacs23 %F.

You mean the exec line in the desktop file.
= A list of files (eg. file0, file1, file2)

The VirtualBox desktop file uses %U (in the exec line) which is a list
of URLs.

Cheers

Old 10-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Kevin Krammer

On Thursday, 2011-10-27, Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 23/10/11 10:49, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > First, I've snipped the bulk of your input. It hit the mark and
> > very helpful, thank you.
> >
> > For some reason VB is under Utilities for me, rather than System.
> :
> :-)
>
> I *only* have the K Desktop Environment installed - you have many
> Desktop Environments installed [*1], so in your case the KDE menu
> "inherited" the application "categories" of an/other Desktop
> Environments (probably GNOME).

Categories as in application menu sub menus?
Those are part of the desktop menu specification [1] implemented by KDE's
application launchers.

> > PS - what does %F mean at the end of a command path, such as the
> > one for emacs23: /usr/bin/emacs23 %F.
>
> You mean the exec line in the desktop file.
> = A list of files (eg. file0, file1, file2)
>
> The VirtualBox desktop file uses %U (in the exec line) which is a list
> of URLs.

Correct, see the desktop entry specification [2] for valid parameters

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/
[2] http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/