Old 10-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Mirosław Zalewski

Default KAddressBook and KMail - how get them to work together?

I am trying to get KAddressBook and KMail working together, but in spite of
lack of documentation there are problems I can not overcome. Any help is
appreciated.

First thing are contact groups. In KAddressBook I can create new contact group
(Ctrl+Shift+G), but drop-down list at top (labeled "Add to:") is empty. When I
click "OK", new window pops up, titled "Select Adress Book". Unfortunately, it
is empty, so I can not select any Address Book.

I have three Address Books in KAddressBook. One is named "Default Address
Book" and I have no idea where it does keep it's data. Second is VCard dir and
third is VCard file. If there is something wrong in that setup, I can switch
these to something other (there are maybe 30 contacts at all).

I have managed to create Contact Group by composing mail in KMail, adding some
contacts and selecting "Save List". I have saved it in one of my Address
Books.

Yet I want to add some more contacts to that list. In KAddressBook I select
that list and choose "Edit Group". New window pops up. On bottom of list there
is empty contact, so I choose it and input name of contact. It autocompletes
it with contacts from my address books, so it is fine. It automatically assigns
e-mail address as well. But contacts that were in that group from the
beginning has colorful icon and I can manually change their e-mail addresses.
Contacts added later has dim icons and their e-mail address has to be selected
from drop-down list. I am attaching screenshot showing that.

It wouldn't be an issue, if KMail could retrieve contacts added later. Now
when I compose new e-mail, I choose "Select..." in KMail, select
"Distribution Lists" and choose my group. There are 13 addresses total, but
three (that were added later, that has dim icon) are empty. There is no name
or e-mail. Rest (that were from the beginning, that has colorful icon) is
alright.

That issue makes contacts groups quite unusable. Maybe someone could please
explain me, how am I supposed to set it up correctly? I can do it manually if
I have to, but I have no idea which file should I modify.

Now the second issue. As I said, I have three address books in KAddressBook.
But in KMail in "Select..." window I have drop-down list labeled "Address
book" which shows only "Akonadi address book" with all contacts from all three
address books in one list. This makes creating different address books useless,
since they are in Kmail all merged into one big book. I would expect it to
display only contacts from one of these address books (which should be
selectable from drop-down list).

In System Settings -> Personal information I have "Akonadi address book" with
type of Akonadi. It is the only source of my contacts. When I select it and
click "Edit", I can see my three address books.

I hope that I have provided all information necessary. If you need anything
more, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 15. Oktober 2011 schrieb Mirosław Zalewski:
> That issue makes contacts groups quite unusable. Maybe someone could
> please explain me, how am I supposed to set it up correctly? I can do
> it manually if I have to, but I have no idea which file should I
> modify.

That quite matches my experience. I have given up on contact groups before
KDEPIM 2 is available for Debian - which may well bring its own share of
issues.

Sorry, I have no suggestion on how to make contact groups work. Reporting
bugs to KDE does not make sense before KDEPIM 2. Except maybe for problems
that cleary relate to KAddressBook only which is Akonadi based already.

Ciao,

Old 10-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Mirosław Zalewski

Thanks for your response. Although I was hoping that I am missing something
obvious...

On 15/10/2011 at 20:35, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> That quite matches my experience. I have given up on contact groups before
> KDEPIM 2 is available for Debian - which may well bring its own share of
> issues.

Do you know if KDEPIM2 will be in KDE 4.7 package for Debian? Or do we have to
wait longer for it?
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 10-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2011 schrieb Mirosław Zalewski:
> Thanks for your response. Although I was hoping that I am missing
> something obvious...
>
> On 15/10/2011 at 20:35, Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
> > That quite matches my experience. I have given up on contact groups
> > before KDEPIM 2 is available for Debian - which may well bring its
> > own share of issues.
>
> Do you know if KDEPIM2 will be in KDE 4.7 package for Debian? Or do we
> have to wait longer for it?

I have no idea. There have been some SCM links posted before here, maybe
looking in the package source repositories will reveal it. So one of a
developers sheds a light on it.

From what I read in kdepim-users mailinglist the following would make
sense:

1) at least KDE 4.7.2 as it fixes some data loss bugs

2) do not migrate, instead import

3) have old KDEPIM and KDEPIM 2 installed at the same time

While the third point makes a lot of sense for users during migration it
means additional packaging overhead. I can understand if Debian Qt/KDE
packagers would like to wait until they trust KDEPIM 2 enough to not have
to provide old KDEPIM anymore.

Maybe it could be done by uploading KDEPIM 2 to qt-kde.debian.net and
leave old KDEPIM in Wheezy/Sid for a while.

Ciao,

Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Mirosław Zalewski

Thanks for your message. It cleared some things up.
Unfortunately, I am afraid that we will have to wait a bit for KDEPIM 2 in
Debian...

As a temporary workaround for groups issue, I have found out that you can
start composing new message, add all needed contacts and save that message as
template. Later you can edit that template and add new recipients or remove
existing. You only have to remember about creating new mails from templates,
not from scratch.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski