Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Harry Putnam

Default How to back out desktop type experiments

Running wheezy

I'm New to modern kde.

I seem to have altered the desktop in a way I don't really like.

At right click/Desktop settings/ layout tab

Starting from the default, I tried all those listed there, and saw
nothing that seemed like something I cared about so went back to the
default.

But now it seems that some of the autostart things I use think that they
are running from ~/Documents

For example: On kde startup I have 2 emacs daemon started. They run in
the background and I can attach to them with emacsclient commands.

Prior to fooling around with the different style desktops those daemon
were running on ~/, so if I asked emacs to show me the directory it was
running from with C-x d it would show ~/. Or if I wanted to edit a file
in ~ I would say C-x C-f ~/file.

But now it shows ~/Documents

Its something of an annoyance and requires me to rehome the frame when
ever I use a emacslient cmd if I want to find files or whatever in ~/
instead of ~/Documents/

I also notice a new small panel in upper right vertical screen boundary
that says `New Activity'. There seems to be no way to get rid of it.
Far as I know it was not there before I monkeyed around with desktop
styles.

Is there someway to back out to the default setup one sees on first
logging into new kde desktop?

Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Facundo Aguilera

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Running wheezy
>
> I'm New to modern kde.
>
> I seem to have altered the desktop in a way I don't really like.
>
> At right click/Desktop settings/ layout tab
>
> Starting from the default, I tried all those listed there, and saw
> nothing that seemed like something I cared about so went back to the
> default.
>
> But now it seems that some of the autostart things I use think that they
> are running from ~/Documents
>
> For example: *On kde startup I have 2 emacs daemon started. *They run in
> the background and I can attach to them with emacsclient commands.
>
> Prior to fooling around with the different style desktops those daemon
> were running on ~/, so if I asked emacs to show me the directory it was
> running from with C-x d it would show ~/. *Or if I wanted to edit a file
> in ~ I would say C-x C-f ~/file.
>
> But now it shows ~/Documents

Try with systemsettings -> Account Details -> Paths -> Documents Path .

Facu

Old 10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 11/10/2011 at 16:49, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> But now it seems that some of the autostart things I use think that they
> are running from ~/Documents

I have had similar problem (all my Konsoles started in ~/Documents or
somewhere instead of ~). I have changed path in System Settings → Account
Details → Paths.

Perhaps there is better way, but this is the best I had found.

> I also notice a new small panel in upper right vertical screen boundary
> that says `New Activity'. There seems to be no way to get rid of it.
> Far as I know it was not there before I monkeyed around with desktop
> styles.

Do you mean the (in)famous cashew logo? In upper right corner on this
screenshot:
<http://minio.xt.pl/obrazy/pulpity/02062011.jpg>

It is there by default. I think that there are some ways to remove it, but I
have never really cared that much to try.

If not, could you provide screenshot showing what do you mean?

> Is there someway to back out to the default setup one sees on first
> logging into new kde desktop?

All configuration is in ~/.kde/, especially ~/.kde/share/config/
Removing (renaming) that directory will make KDE create new with default
values on startup. But please note, that there are also configuration files for
other KDE-related apps, like Kmail or Konqueror. You may wish to delete only
specific files (or delete all but some specific files).
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 10-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Harry Putnam

Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> On 11/10/2011 at 16:49, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> But now it seems that some of the autostart things I use think that they
>> are running from ~/Documents

Thanks.. that looks like a good way to fix it.

[...]

> Do you mean the (in)famous cashew logo? In upper right corner on this
> screenshot:
> <http://minio.xt.pl/obrazy/pulpity/02062011.jpg>
>
> It is there by default. I think that there are some ways to remove it, but I
> have never really cared that much to try.

Yup... I must have just not noticed it before... I thought it had
appeared from my tinkering. So like you say, its not that big a deal.

[...]

> All configuration is in ~/.kde/, especially ~/.kde/share/config/
> Removing (renaming) that directory will make KDE create new with default
> values on startup. But please note, that there are also configuration files for
> other KDE-related apps, like Kmail or Konqueror. You may wish to delete only
> specific files (or delete all but some specific files).

Yeah I thought about renaming the existing .kde but it seems a little
more drastic than necessary to fix my small gripes

Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Harry Putnam

Facundo Aguilera <budinero@gmail.com> writes:

> Try with systemsettings -> Account Details -> Paths -> Documents Path .

Thanks, yup that straightened it out