-   -   about authentication in kde system setup tool (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/585818-about-authentication-kde-system-setup-tool.html)

Victor Nitu 10-10-2011 04:42 PM

about authentication in kde system setup tool

On 10/10/2011 07:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:

Then a dropdown list that says `select user' when I drop the list
down none of them are my user, nor root.

How is that supposed to work?

Which are the users listed there? Check their group
membership, and then try adding yourself to it.

Example, supposing "nobody" is the user that shouldn't be there,
and "user" your user:

$ id nobody

then

$ id user

Please post the results in here.

Also, post the list with the users involved in the process.

I wonder how comes root isn't listed? I might think the drop-down
selection shows an inverse selection of users (e.g. those who
shouldn't be listed at all, and the good ones are not shown), and
in this case you should file a bug accordingly.

I will be back in a couple of hrs, so if you figure it put by
then, please be kind and post the result / solution.

The force be with you!

--

Victor Nițu

victor@debian-linux.ro

Harry Putnam 10-10-2011 06:42 PM

Victor Nitu <victor@debian-linux.ro> writes:

> On 10/10/2011 07:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Then a dropdown list that says `select user' when I drop the list
>> down none of them are my user, nor root.
>>
>> How is that supposed to work?
> Which are the users listed there? Check their group membership, and
> then try adding yourself to it.

gnusu, hp, harry

# groups gnusu
gnusu : gnusu sudo fuse wheel nfsu

# groups hp
hp : hp sudo wheel nfsu

# groups harry
harry : harry sudo wheel nfsu

above are those on the drop down
------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
below is my user `reader'

# groups reader
reader : reader cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner
bluetooth wheel nfsu gnusu

All but `nfsu' and `wheel' were set by the install routines.

I created nfsu and wheel for something to do with nfs shares that I
have not done yet.

Attached is a screen grab showing the Authen dialog with the `details
button pushed'
If images should not be posted here please let me know.

I could not capture the drop down but as mentioned above it has these
users:
gnusu
hp
harry

All are actually me and were created for one purpose or another.

> Example, supposing "nobody" is the user that shouldn't be there, and
> "user" your user:
> $ id nobody
> then
> $ id user

Yeah I'm following but not sure how to apply that to the above
scenario.

> I wonder how comes root isn't listed? I might think the drop-down
> selection shows an inverse selection of users (e.g. those who
> shouldn't be listed at all, and the good ones are not shown), and in
> this case you should file a bug accordingly.

I wondered that too, and more particularly why my user is not there.
Unless like you say its is presenting an inverse list.

I will be glad to post a bug report if it appears to actually be a
bug. It would be my first chance to give something back after
receiving so much expert help here.

> I will be back in a couple of hrs, so if you figure it put by then,
> please be kind and post the result / solution.
> The force be with you!

Sorry I did not figure it out. It appears one is expected to set some
other user with privs to monkey around with your desktop and of course
I'm either badly minunderstanding (quite likely really) or there
actually is a small bug here.

Harry Putnam 10-11-2011 11:23 PM

,----
| >>From main menu/system settings/ Login screen/
| > In the font selector use `choose' button to change font and size/
| > Say `OK' then press `apply', at that point an authentication dialog
| > pops up:
| >
| > Administrator authorization is
| > required to change the login
| > Manager settings.
| >
| > An application is attempting to perform an
| > action that requires privileges
| > Authentication is required to perform this
| > action
| >
| > ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
| >
| > Then a dropdown list that says `select user' when I drop the list
| > down none of them are my user, nor root.
| >
| > How is that supposed to work?
`----

Since this thread seems to have died, I'd lick to ask if any experienced
user here can say whether what I described in OP is in fact a bug, or if
it does not happen on their installation.

To summarize:

1) Following the recipe quoted above. (inside the boxquote some 12 to 20
lines above this one.)

On the dialog described their, the dropdown list only shows other users.
Not me and not root.

Am I completely misunderstanding what this is supposed to do or is it a
small bug and my user and root should be on that list?

Diederik de Haas 10-11-2011 11:39 PM

On Wednesday 12 October 2011 01:23:12 Harry Putnam wrote:
> On the dialog described their, the dropdown list only shows other users.
> Not me and not root.
>
> Am I completely misunderstanding what this is supposed to do or is it a
> small bug and my user and root should be on that list?

I wouldn't be surprised if it has sth to do with sudo.
When installing Debian using the debian-installer, you have the option to create a root account. If
you do that, sudo won't be installed/setup. When you don't I guess it does setup sudo (I always
create root account, so I'm not sure). And afaik it disables the root account.

If I try to do sth that requires superuser/root rights, I get presented a dialog which allows me to
specify the root password and then the requested action gets performed.
Since you seem to be using sudo, I guess you need to modify the sudoers file (again, not sure since I
have never used sudo).

I don't know how to fix your issue, but maybe this helps diagnose the issue.

Harry Putnam 10-12-2011 11:44 AM

Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> writes:

> I wouldn't be surprised if it has sth to do with sudo. When
> installing Debian using the debian-installer, you have the option to
> create a root account. I . . . .

Thanks for the helpful input. I would never have arrived at the info on
my own. Had no idea sudo could make a difference.

In the instant case I too created root account at install, but later and
before installing KDE, I did install sudo.

But still, should not that list also show the user whos login session it
is?

I hope someone with more knowledge on this will respond.

R33D3M33R 10-16-2011 12:26 PM

about authentication in kde system setup tool

Hello,

try to run System settings via:

kdesudo systemsettings

You can later also change the menu entry to this command (if it will work).

,----

`----

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87obxnjeov.fsf@newsguy.com

Harry Putnam 10-16-2011 04:05 PM

R33D3M33R <andrejm@ubuntu.si> writes:

> Hello,
>
> try to run System settings via:
>
> kdesudo systemsettings

Thanks, that worked...
Doesn't answer the question of whether how it works by default is a
bug or not though...

> You can later also change the menu entry to this command (if it will work).

I'm not seeing how that is done.

Clicking the default (left bottom) main menu button, under
applications I see an entry `settings'. I right click expecting to
get a chance to edit properties but no such item on right click menu.

Scott Ferguson 10-17-2011 01:58 AM

On 17/10/11 03:05, Harry Putnam wrote:
> R33D3M33R <andrejm@ubuntu.si> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> try to run System settings via:
>>
>> kdesudo systemsettings
>
> Thanks, that worked...
> Doesn't answer the question of whether how it works by default is a
> bug or not though...

It is a known bug. KDE SAMBA Config suffers from the same thing. The fix
suggested works for it also.

Policy kit changes to fix these problems are (still) being backported.

>> You can later also change the menu entry to this command (if it will work).
>>

> I'm not seeing how that is done.
>
> Clicking the default (left bottom) main menu button, under
> applications I see an entry `settings'. I right click expecting to
> get a chance to edit properties but no such item on right click menu.

Cheers

Martin Steigerwald 11-02-2011 09:00 PM

about authentication in kde system setup tool

Hello Harry,

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2011 schrieb Harry Putnam:
> Victor Nitu <victor@debian-linux.ro> writes:
> > On 10/10/2011 07:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >> Then a dropdown list that says `select user' when I drop the list
> >> down none of them are my user, nor root.
> >>
> >> How is that supposed to work?
> >
> > Which are the users listed there? Check their group membership, and
> > then try adding yourself to it.
>
> gnusu, hp, harry
>
> # groups gnusu
> gnusu : gnusu sudo fuse wheel nfsu
>
> # groups hp
> hp : hp sudo wheel nfsu
>
> # groups harry
> harry : harry sudo wheel nfsu
>
> above are those on the drop down
> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
> below is my user `reader'
>
> # groups reader
> reader : reader cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner
> bluetooth wheel nfsu gnusu
>
> All but `nfsu' and `wheel' were set by the install routines.
[...]
> All are actually me and were created for one purpose or another.

Appears to me that the user has to be in group sudo. Makes sense for the
default sudo setup in Debian Wheezy/Sid, possibly Squeeze. User "reader"
is not in that group. Try:

- adduser reader sudo
- logout
- login