-   -   About pagers in kde (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/585758-about-pagers-kde.html)

Harry Putnam 10-10-2011 02:33 PM

About pagers in kde

Are there other pagers than the default one that appears in a vanilla
kde install?

I see tiny little pager boxes, way to small to show icons. You can
get a list by raising each tiny box, but I'd prefer to see the
icons and therefore know all in one glance rather than having to raise
each tiny box to see whats there.

Plus there seems no way to drag applications around by means of the
pager. Or really even any way to focus on an application. The list
disappears as soon as the mouse leaves a boxes' borders.

Selecting `Display icons' in pager settings does not appear to
actually do that.. or is talking about icons somewhere else perhaps.

Mirosław Zalewski 10-10-2011 09:39 PM

About pagers in kde

On 10/10/2011 at 16:33, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Are there other pagers than the default one that appears in a vanilla
> kde install?

Perhaps you can use any pager application, but the question is if any does
what you would prefer and how well they integrate with KDE.

> Plus there seems no way to drag applications around by means of the
> pager.

You can drag windows between workspaces, but you have to do it from within
pager (not the list that appears when you hover your pointer above pager).

> Or really even any way to focus on an application. The list
> disappears as soon as the mouse leaves a boxes' borders.

Yes, the list disappears if you move your mouse from workspace on pager. I
believe that this is how it should be.

But I would expect that list to provide mean to focus window, too. Maybe you
should file a bug/wishlist report against it upstream?

> Selecting `Display icons' in pager settings does not appear to
> actually do that.. or is talking about icons somewhere else perhaps.

It does show icons, but default pager is too small. You have to either make
window maximised or make your toolbar (with pager plasmoid) higher.

By the way, I prefer Desktop Grid KWin's Desktop Effect. It provides fast way
to see all workspaces and windows. You can focus any window, drag them between
workspaces, drag entire workspaces and add/delete workspaces on the fly. I have
switched keyboard bidding to Ctrl+Shift+D, which I find pretty convenient. To
be honest, this is one of few reasons I have switched from Fluxbox to KDE :) .
You should definitely give it a try.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Harry Putnam 10-11-2011 12:56 AM

About pagers in kde

Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> By the way, I prefer Desktop Grid KWin's Desktop Effect. It provides fast way
> to see all workspaces and windows. You can focus any window, drag them between
> workspaces, drag entire workspaces and add/delete workspaces on the fly. I have
> switched keyboard bidding to Ctrl+Shift+D, which I find pretty convenient. To
> be honest, this is one of few reasons I have switched from Fluxbox to KDE :) .
> You should definitely give it a try.

You must not be talking about the grid setting at right click/desktop
settings - right?

Turning that on, doesn't seem to do much of nothing but allow a shaded
area with + - on it on any border when you hover the mouse there.

I can't see any workspaces but the one I'm in.

Are you talking about some other package?

Harry Putnam 10-11-2011 01:06 AM

About pagers in kde

> Turning that on, doesn't seem to do much of nothing but allow a shaded
> area with + - on it on any border when you hover the mouse there.

I take that back. It seems to have turned on an annoying `New
activity' tab, that refuses to go away now. Even when I go back to
the default desktop.

Mirosław Zalewski 10-11-2011 02:44 PM

About pagers in kde

On 11/10/2011 at 02:56, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> You must not be talking about the grid setting at right click/desktop
> settings - right?

No, I am talking about System Settings → Desktop Effects → All effects → Desktop
Grid.

Default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+F8 (or something like that).
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski