Old 10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Diederik de Haas

Default KMail's default identity

Hey all,

I have a number of email identities configured and specified one (of course) as my default identity.
But when I write a new email it's not the default identity that get's chosen to send it with, but
the one which is alphabetically the first one (at least it seems that way).
Is that normal/intended behaviour?
If yes, what's the meaning of default identity then? If no, is there a way to change that?

Regards,
Diederik

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Victor Nitu

I have a number of email identities configured and specified one (of course) as my default identity.
But when I write a new email it's not the default identity that get's chosen to send it with, but
the one which is alphabetically the first one (at least it seems that way).
Is that normal/intended behaviour?
If yes, what's the meaning of default identity then? If no, is there a way to change that?

Regards,
Diederik

I guess this should be filled as a bug under KDE.
Please describe your current conditions (software versions etc.), I have
heard a similar story elsewhere.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Tuesday 04 October 2011 21:34:35 Victor Nitu wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 10:24 PM, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a number of email identities configured and specified one (of
> > course) as my default identity. But when I write a new email it's not
> > the default identity that get's chosen to send it with, but the one
> > which is alphabetically the first one (at least it seems that way). Is
> > that normal/intended behaviour?
> > If yes, what's the meaning of default identity then? If no, is there a
> > way to change that?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Diederik
>
> I guess this should be filled as a bug under KDE.

If it's not just me, I will.

> Please describe your current conditions (software versions etc.), I have
> heard a similar story elsewhere.

Good point.
I'm running a fully up to date Debian Sid system on amd64, (stock) kernel 3.0.0-4, KDE version 4.6.5
and KMail version 1.13.7

Diederik

Old 10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Kevin Krammer

On Tuesday, 2011-10-04, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have a number of email identities configured and specified one (of
> course) as my default identity. But when I write a new email it's not the
> default identity that get's chosen to send it with, but the one which is
> alphabetically the first one (at least it seems that way). Is that
> normal/intended behaviour?
> If yes, what's the meaning of default identity then? If no, is there a way
> to change that?

Check that you don't have an identify override set for the folder you are in
when creating the new mail.

Cheers,
Kevin

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Diederik de Haas

On Tuesday 04 October 2011 22:03:16 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday, 2011-10-04, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a number of email identities configured and specified one (of
> > course) as my default identity. But when I write a new email it's not the
> > default identity that get's chosen to send it with, but the one which is
> > alphabetically the first one (at least it seems that way). Is that
> > normal/intended behaviour?
> > If yes, what's the meaning of default identity then? If no, is there a
> > way to change that?
>
> Check that you don't have an identify override set for the folder you are
> in when creating the new mail.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Interesting point ...
When checking various folders settings, I can (and have in some cases) specified which identity to
use. In some/most of them the setting is default identity, but the greyed out box didn't specify my
default identity, but the alphabatically first one.
While it makes sense to use the specified identity for a folder when replying, I don't think it's
handy for creating new emails, especially when creating a new email from the icon in the system
tray. That way I have to check which folder has the focus each time I want to write a new message.

None-the-less, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Regards,
Diederik