FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Uwe Brauer
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

Hello

Is it possible to use the (non standard Mac OS like) Kde
Control center which is provided by Kubuntu use in debian?
Is this already ported? I have not found anything using
google.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87ty8bmaj5.fsf@mat.ucm.es">http://lists.debian.org/87ty8bmaj5.fsf@mat.ucm.es
 
Old 09-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Diggory Hardy
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

Do you mean the control centre of the Kubuntu extensions? Kubuntu uses the standard "system settings" application, but adds a few options to it, as far as I know.
Cheers


On 17 September 2011 17:52, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:



Hello



Is it possible to use the (non standard Mac OS like) Kde

Control center which is provided by Kubuntu use in debian?

Is this already ported? I have not found anything using

google.



Thanks



Uwe Brauer





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87ty8bmaj5.fsf@mat.ucm.es
 
Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Uwe Brauer
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

>> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian; Diggory
>> Hardy <diggory.hardy@gmail.com> adds:

> Do you mean the control centre of the Kubuntu
> extensions? Kubuntu uses the standard "system settings"
> application, but adds a few options to it, as far as I
> know.

I am not sure that I understand. When I install debian I see
the standard KDE control center.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KControl.png

When I install Kubuntu however I see a KDE control center
which looks like a clone of the MacOS control center. So I
am asking whether it is possible to obtains Kubuntu version
of the KDE control center in debian.

Uwe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87pqiymfoe.fsf@mat.ucm.es">http://lists.debian.org/87pqiymfoe.fsf@mat.ucm.es
 
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 AM
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

On Ned 18 rujna 2011. 10:13:21 Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian; Diggory
> >>
> >> Hardy <diggory.hardy@gmail.com> adds:
> > Do you mean the control centre of the Kubuntu
> > extensions? Kubuntu uses the standard "system settings"
> > application, but adds a few options to it, as far as I
> > know.
>
> I am not sure that I understand. When I install debian I see
> the standard KDE control center.
>
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KControl.png
>
> When I install Kubuntu however I see a KDE control center
> which looks like a clone of the MacOS control center. So I
> am asking whether it is possible to obtains Kubuntu version
> of the KDE control center in debian.
>
> Uwe

This is KDE3, not KDE4. Did you install trinity packages?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 2021144.6nm17RU8II@shumarija">http://lists.debian.org/2021144.6nm17RU8II@shumarija
 
Old 09-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Scott Ferguson
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

On 18/09/11 18:13, Uwe Brauer wrote:
>>> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian; Diggory
>>> Hardy <diggory.hardy@gmail.com> adds:
>
> > Do you mean the control centre of the Kubuntu
> > extensions? Kubuntu uses the standard "system settings"
> > application, but adds a few options to it, as far as I
> > know.
>
> I am not sure that I understand. When I install debian I see
> the standard KDE control center.
>
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KControl.png
>
> When I install Kubuntu however I see a KDE control center
> which looks like a clone of the MacOS control center. So I
> am asking whether it is possible to obtains Kubuntu version
> of the KDE control center in debian.
>
> Uwe
>
>

You mean in old versions of Kubuntu....

Quote:
Although KControl is installed by default in Kubuntu, that distribution
uses a non-standard version of it by default, redesigned to resemble the
Mac OS X system settings manager. The "classic" KControl is also
available, however. A ported version of the Kubuntu System Settings
application has also replaced KControl in KDE SC 4. Systemsettings has
been accepted as "an improved user interface for configuring the desktop
and other aspects of the system"
So the answer is, sort of - but it will be a long way from default
Debian stable+ (as Kubuntu is a long way from Debian, despite what the
box says).
I note that Trinity has already been suggested. Your alternative is to
use Lenny, which uses KDE3.5x (so it has KControl).
Either way it's a lot of trouble to go to for reduced funtionality, and
eye-candy.

A better way to achieve a similar ends might be to use themes.

Cheers

ref:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KControl

--
"I just have one of those faces. People come up to me and say, "What's
wrong?" Nothing. "Well, it takes more energy to frown than it does to
smile." Yeah, you know it takes more energy to point that out than it
does to leave me alone"
— Bill Hicks


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4E75B404.1080209@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4E75B404.1080209@gmail.com
 
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Uwe Brauer
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

>> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian;
>> hrvoje.senjan@gmail.com adds:

> On Ned 18 rujna 2011. 10:13:21 Uwe Brauer wrote:
>> >> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian; Diggory
>>
>> When I install Kubuntu however I see a KDE control center
>> which looks like a clone of the MacOS control center. So I
>> am asking whether it is possible to obtains Kubuntu version
>> of the KDE control center in debian.
>>
>> Uwe

> This is KDE3, not KDE4. Did you install trinity packages?
That is right, and yes I do use trinity. However also the
newer versions of Kubuntu which use KDE4 have a MaC Os like
control center and it is this center which I find so
attractive!

Uwe Brauer


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87hb4am051.fsf@mat.ucm.es">http://lists.debian.org/87hb4am051.fsf@mat.ucm.es
 
Old 09-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Uwe Brauer
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

>>
>> Uwe
>>
>>

> You mean in old versions of Kubuntu....

Well yes and no, the one of the link is the control center
of KDE3, but the new version of Kubuntu have a similar
though not identic MacOS like control center.

> So the answer is, sort of - but it will be a long way from default
> Debian stable+ (as Kubuntu is a long way from Debian, despite what the
> box says).
> I note that Trinity has already been suggested. Your alternative is to
> use Lenny, which uses KDE3.5x (so it has KControl).
> Either way it's a lot of trouble to go to for reduced funtionality, and
> eye-candy.

Lenny with KDE3.5 means the standard KControl and not the
Kubunut one. Ok I have not tried out trinity on newer
Debian versions (Sid?) So I am not sure which version of
KDE3.5 KControl trinity ships. But I see from yours answers
that having a different (MacOs) like control center is not a
very high priority goal.

Uwe Brauer


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87d3eylzwq.fsf@mat.ucm.es">http://lists.debian.org/87d3eylzwq.fsf@mat.ucm.es
 
Old 09-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Hrvoje Senjan
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

On Ned 18 rujna 2011. 15:53:57 Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >> Uwe
> >
> > You mean in old versions of Kubuntu....
>
> Well yes and no, the one of the link is the control center
> of KDE3, but the new version of Kubuntu have a similar
> though not identic MacOS like control center.
>
> > So the answer is, sort of - but it will be a long way from default
> > Debian stable+ (as Kubuntu is a long way from Debian, despite
what
> > the
> > box says).
> > I note that Trinity has already been suggested. Your alternative
> > is to
> > use Lenny, which uses KDE3.5x (so it has KControl).
> > Either way it's a lot of trouble to go to for reduced
> > funtionality, and eye-candy.
>
> Lenny with KDE3.5 means the standard KControl and not the
> Kubunut one. Ok I have not tried out trinity on newer
> Debian versions (Sid?) So I am not sure which version of
> KDE3.5 KControl trinity ships. But I see from yours answers
> that having a different (MacOs) like control center is not a
> very high priority goal.
>
> Uwe Brauer

Last Maclike os i used was 7.x so i don't know how would this look like.
Also, as af as i'm aware, *buntus don't have *buntu specific cc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1355353.70o5jik7Qc@shumarija">http://lists.debian.org/1355353.70o5jik7Qc@shumarija
 
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2011 schrieb Uwe Brauer:
> >> Uwe
> >
> > You mean in old versions of Kubuntu....
>
> Well yes and no, the one of the link is the control center
> of KDE3, but the new version of Kubuntu have a similar
> though not identic MacOS like control center.

Recent versions of Kubuntu use KDE 4.

systemsettings has replaced kcontrol in KDE 4.

So if you want systemsettings use official KDE 4 packages.

Its that simple.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109201434.26246.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201109201434.26246.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 09-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default Kubuntu Control center for debian

Am Sonntag, 18. September 2011 schrieb Uwe Brauer:
> >> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian;
> >>
> >> hrvoje.senjan@gmail.com adds:
> > On Ned 18 rujna 2011. 10:13:21 Uwe Brauer wrote:
> >> >> Regarding Re: Kubuntu Control center for debian; Diggory
> >>
> >> When I install Kubuntu however I see a KDE control center
> >> which looks like a clone of the MacOS control center. So I
> >> am asking whether it is possible to obtains Kubuntu version
> >> of the KDE control center in debian.
> >>
> >> Uwe
> >
> > This is KDE3, not KDE4. Did you install trinity packages?
>
> That is right, and yes I do use trinity. However also the
> newer versions of Kubuntu which use KDE4 have a MaC Os like
> control center and it is this center which I find so
> attractive!

Then use official KDE 4 debian package as Kubuntu uses KDE 4 as well.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109201434.45867.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201109201434.45867.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org