FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian KDE

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Am Sonntag, 28. August 2011 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> (I am not subscribed to debian-x, but to debian-kde. I don´t know where
> that bug should be fixed / work-arounded.)
>
> Hi!
>
> I read at
>
> Intel Mesa Gives Problems With KDE's KWin, Again
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM0NA
>
> that blur might now work. But it shouldn´t crash I think.
>
> The crash didn´t happen with the mesa from debian bug #631516 that I
> used to test Freedroid RPG missing problem. Thats libgl1-mesa-
> dri_7.11~0-2+bug38642_amd64.deb and the like. Which is basically just
> 7.11~0-2 + a cherry picked commit for that issue.
>
> Hmmm, can´t reproduce by now. Now it just tells me that it couldn´t
> activate any effects.
>
> Is there anything that can be done about this? Maybe a patch for the
> debian package for kwin to check for a different vendor string (without
> that "GEM") for the time being. Dunno how this is solved in KDE 4.7.
>
> I really hope that there will be a more elegant way to querying
> features of GL drivers that works with all drivers.
>
> Didn´t report bug yet, since on trying to reproducing the crash for the
> backtrace it didn´t crash anymore. And I do not yet know against which
> package to report.

Okay, I get this reproduced. I didn´t close a previous DrKonqi crash
windows that I didn´t notice then anymore.

So here goes:

Application: KWin (kwin), signal: Segmentation fault
[KCrash Handler]
#6 __memcpy_ssse3 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memcpy-ssse3.S:91
#7 0x00007f0d5a6f7d4b in __indirect_glProgramParameters4fvNV
(target=13189264, index=406736, num=221141504, params=0x634d0) at
indirect.c:9317
#8 0x00007f0d42e69a8f in ?? () from /usr/lib/kde4/kwin4_effect_builtins.so
#9 0x00007f0d42e66dfb in ?? () from /usr/lib/kde4/kwin4_effect_builtins.so
#10 0x00007f0d42e66f87 in ?? () from /usr/lib/kde4/kwin4_effect_builtins.so
#11 0x00007f0d42e67036 in effect_create_kwin4_effect_blur () from
/usr/lib/kde4/kwin4_effect_builtins.so
#12 0x00007f0d5d2025c1 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#13 0x00007f0d5d203689 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#14 0x00007f0d5d1dd22a in ?? () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#15 0x00007f0d5d1616d3 in ?? () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#16 0x00007f0d5d17876a in ?? () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#17 0x00007f0d5d17a47b in kdemain () from
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
#18 0x00007f0d5cdb8ead in __libc_start_main (main=<optimized out>,
argc=<optimized out>, ubp_av=<optimized out>, init=<optimized out>,
fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, stack_end=0x7fff2014efc8) at
libc-start.c:228
#19 0x00000000004006a1 in _start ()

But it needs debug symbols for

martin@merkaba:~> dpkg -S /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so
kde-window-manager: /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_kwin.so

At least it seems to crash at blur effect creation.

However I didn´t find a dbg package for it. Is the dbg package named
elsewise?

Thanks and goodnight,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108280138.01054.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201108280138.01054.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Michel Dänzer
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

On Son, 2011-08-28 at 01:38 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>
> Okay, I get this reproduced. I didn´t close a previous DrKonqi crash
> windows that I didn´t notice then anymore.
>
> So here goes:
>
> Application: KWin (kwin), signal: Segmentation fault
> [KCrash Handler]
> #6 __memcpy_ssse3 () at ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memcpy-ssse3.S:91
> #7 0x00007f0d5a6f7d4b in __indirect_glProgramParameters4fvNV
> (target=13189264, index=406736, num=221141504, params=0x634d0) at
> indirect.c:9317

Does the crash also happen if kwin uses direct rendering?


--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1314527382.31972.18.camel@thor.local">http://lists.debian.org/1314527382.31972.18.camel@thor.local
 
Old 08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Am Sonntag, 28. August 2011 schrieb Michel Dänzer:
> On Son, 2011-08-28 at 01:38 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Okay, I get this reproduced. I didn´t close a previous DrKonqi crash
> > windows that I didn´t notice then anymore.
> >
> > So here goes:
> >
> > Application: KWin (kwin), signal: Segmentation fault
> > [KCrash Handler]
> > #6 __memcpy_ssse3 () at
> > ../sysdeps/x86_64/multiarch/memcpy-ssse3.S:91 #7 0x00007f0d5a6f7d4b
> > in __indirect_glProgramParameters4fvNV (target=13189264,
> > index=406736, num=221141504, params=0x634d0) at indirect.c:9317
>
> Does the crash also happen if kwin uses direct rendering?

Well, I don´t know. When it uses indirect rendering, then it seems that
the driver check doesn´t work with Intel from Mesa 7.11 indeed.

I think I need to force it to use direct rendering in that case, since
direct rendering is available on that machine:

martin@merkaba:~> glxinfo | egrep -i "(direct|OpenGL)"
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

I think there was an environment variable for that...

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108281414.19495.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201108281414.19495.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Yannick
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> I think there was an environment variable for that...

Hi Martin,

I had the same problem with the same configuration. Kwin was saying it
could not use direct rendering. I managed to get it working forcing
KWIN_DIRECT_GL to 1.

For this, I use a shell script on ~/.kde/env with:

#!/bin/bash
export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1

I hope this will help you.

Yannick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: j3efm7$j7i$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/j3efm7$j7i$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Am Montag, 29. August 2011 schrieb Yannick:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > I think there was an environment variable for that...
>
> Hi Martin,

Hi Yannick, Michael, hi .*,

> I had the same problem with the same configuration. Kwin was saying it
> could not use direct rendering. I managed to get it working forcing
> KWIN_DIRECT_GL to 1.
>
> For this, I use a shell script on ~/.kde/env with:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> export KWIN_DIRECT_GL=1
>
> I hope this will help you.

Thanks, Yannick. This does work.

Okay, Michael, this also answers your question whether kwin crashes with
direct rendering forced. No, it doesn´t.

So there are two issues:

1) kwin crashes with blur effect and indirect rendering. I think thats
purely a KDE/kwin issue.

2) kwin switches to indirect rendering due to changed OpenGL renderer
string for Intel DRM in Mesa 7.11. Where to report that? Also kde-window-
manager? According to mesa-devs I believe so, cause they tend to think
that relying on a certain renderer string is bad. I tend to agree also
Martin Graesslin, kwin developer, pointed out that there is not much of
another alternative.

Please advice where to file bug reports.

Thanks,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201108291047.35798.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201108291047.35798.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM
Michel Dänzer
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:47 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>
> 1) kwin crashes with blur effect and indirect rendering. I think thats
> purely a KDE/kwin issue.

Given that the crash occurs in libGL, and it doesn't happen with direct
rendering, I think this is most likely a libgl1-mesa-glx bug.


> 2) kwin switches to indirect rendering due to changed OpenGL renderer
> string for Intel DRM in Mesa 7.11. Where to report that? Also kde-window-
> manager?

Yes.


--
Earthling Michel Dänzer | http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast | Debian, X and DRI developer


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1314608779.31972.54.camel@thor.local">http://lists.debian.org/1314608779.31972.54.camel@thor.local
 
Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Raúl Sánchez Siles
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Bump!

El Lunes, 29 de Agosto de 2011, Michel Dänzer escribió:
> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:47 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > 1) kwin crashes with blur effect and indirect rendering. I think thats
> > purely a KDE/kwin issue.
>
> Given that the crash occurs in libGL, and it doesn't happen with direct
> rendering, I think this is most likely a libgl1-mesa-glx bug.

I lean towards: http://bugs.debian.org/625522


--
Raúl Sánchez Siles
----->Proud Debian user<-----
Linux registered user #416098
 
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Martin Steigerwald
 
Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

Am Donnerstag, 1. September 2011 schrieb Raúl Sánchez Siles:
> Bump!
>
> El Lunes, 29 de Agosto de 2011, Michel Dänzer escribió:
> > On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:47 +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > 1) kwin crashes with blur effect and indirect rendering. I think
> > > thats purely a KDE/kwin issue.
> >
> > Given that the crash occurs in libGL, and it doesn't happen with
> > direct rendering, I think this is most likely a libgl1-mesa-glx bug.
>
> I lean towards: http://bugs.debian.org/625522

Thanks for all hints, Raúl and Michael.

Reported as

Bug#640799: kwin: crashes on login (sandybridge/mesa7.11/blur effect
http://bugs.debian.org/640799

Ciao,
--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald - http://www.Lichtvoll.de
GPG: 03B0 0D6C 0040 0710 4AFA B82F 991B EAAC A599 84C7


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201109071700.41166.Martin@lichtvoll.de">http://lists.debian.org/201109071700.41166.Martin@lichtvoll.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:42 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org