Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Default kwin 4.6.5 crashes when enabling effects with mesa 7.11 and intel sandybridge

(I am not subscribed to debian-x, but to debian-kde. I donīt know where
that bug should be fixed / work-arounded.)

Hi!

I read at

Intel Mesa Gives Problems With KDE's KWin, Again
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTM0NA

that blur might now work. But it shouldnīt crash I think.

The crash didnīt happen with the mesa from debian bug #631516 that I used
to test Freedroid RPG missing problem. Thats libgl1-mesa-
dri_7.11~0-2+bug38642_amd64.deb and the like. Which is basically just
7.11~0-2 + a cherry picked commit for that issue.

Hmmm, canīt reproduce by now. Now it just tells me that it couldnīt
activate any effects.

Is there anything that can be done about this? Maybe a patch for the
debian package for kwin to check for a different vendor string (without
that "GEM") for the time being. Dunno how this is solved in KDE 4.7.

I really hope that there will be a more elegant way to querying features
of GL drivers that works with all drivers.

Didnīt report bug yet, since on trying to reproducing the crash for the
backtrace it didnīt crash anymore. And I do not yet know against which
package to report.

Thanks,