Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Dietz Pröpper

Default kdepim and akonadi

Hi,

if I got that right, current (4.7) kdepim uses akonadi as a storage backend
for everything.

Some questions regarding that:
- nowadays I have a ~/Mail with a maildirish structure. Will that cease to
exist under an akonadi-based kmail?
- same thing for korganizer - one vCalendar file in the fs. Will that
vanish too?

The background - as far as I know, akonadi uses a big, fat mysql db for
it's storage. And don't ask me, how much hours I spent debugging such
generic storages in the past (not especially akonadi but I have no reason
to believe that it will run with less hassles). And I'm not even talking
about backup and restore of parts of the data.

And now the question - I don't need desktop search, I don't need fancy
tagging, I need a managable, stable system (no, don't ask me, why I'm using
KDE anyway). Is there a way to get completely rid of akonadi at least for
mail storage, calendar storage, address storage etc?

I observed that kmail from unstable blocks if akonadi is not running,
complaining "weee - i need akonadi to run", and if it's true that they are
so tightly coupled that would be a clear cut case for me.

regards,
Dietz

Old 08-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Andreas Cord-Landwehr

On Sunday 21 August 2011 09:36:02 Dietz Pröpper wrote:

> if I got that right, current (4.7) kdepim uses akonadi as a storage backend

> for everything.

Hi, that's the most common misunderstanding about the new KDEPIM structure: Akonadi is not the storage backend, it is a unifying cache for several storage backends with which applications can interact.

Afaik the vCalendar file storage backend and Maildir file structure backend are both supported by Akonadi resources as shipped with the current (current as in shipped with KDE SC 4.7, but not yet provided by Debian) KDEPIM releases. This allows easy adding of new resources for various backends like, e.g., a Facebook resource. [1], Yahoo calendar [2], Google calendar, eGroupware.

Hence, this does not mean that the "old" storage resources will all vanish. For instance, I currently (running a self compiled KDEPIM 4.7) use an IMAP mail server, a vCalendar file, an addressbook as vCard directory, an eGroupware server for addressbook and calendar (by the Akonadi GroupDAV resource), and a Google calendar (by the Akonadi CalDAV resource).

The indexing and semantic desktop stuff then is a different topic: those things are done by the Nepomuk framework, feeding a big Virtuoso datasbase. For performance reasons it is possible to switch indexing of mails off (well, then tagging and full-text search in mails is also switched off).

Coming back to your questions: The reason why the currently with Debian shipped KMail application relies on Akonadi is afaik the connection to KAdressbook, which already switched its storage system to be cached by the Akonadi server with its 4.6 release. With the 4.7 release this switch is also done for most of the remaining PIM applications (at least with KMail and KOrganizer). But as with this switch all storage access functionality moved from the KDEPIM applications to Akonadi, using KDEPIM without Akonadi is not possible.

Greetings,

Andreas

[1] http://thomasmcguire.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/facebook-support-in-kdepim/

[2] http://cgbdx.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/show-your-yahoo-calendars-in-korganizer-so-easy/

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Vincent Frison

On Sunday 21 August 2011 at 10:54:59, Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> On Sunday 21 August 2011 09:36:02 Dietz Pröpper wrote:
> > if I got that right, current (4.7) kdepim uses akonadi as a storage
> > backend for everything.
>
> Hi, that's the most common misunderstanding about the new KDEPIM structure:
> Akonadi is not the storage backend, it is a unifying cache for several
> storage backends with which applications can interact.
>
> Afaik the vCalendar file storage backend and Maildir file structure backend
> are both supported by Akonadi resources as shipped with the current
> (current as in shipped with KDE SC 4.7, but not yet provided by Debian)
> KDEPIM releases. This allows easy adding of new resources for various
> backends like, e.g., a Facebook resource. [1], Yahoo calendar [2], Google
> calendar, eGroupware.
>
> Hence, this does not mean that the "old" storage resources will all vanish.
> For instance, I currently (running a self compiled KDEPIM 4.7) use an IMAP
> mail server, a vCalendar file, an addressbook as vCard directory, an
> eGroupware server for addressbook and calendar (by the Akonadi GroupDAV
> resource), and a Google calendar (by the Akonadi CalDAV resource).
>
> The indexing and semantic desktop stuff then is a different topic: those
> things are done by the Nepomuk framework, feeding a big Virtuoso datasbase.
> For performance reasons it is possible to switch indexing of mails off
> (well, then tagging and full-text search in mails is also switched off).
>
> Coming back to your questions: The reason why the currently with Debian
> shipped KMail application relies on Akonadi is afaik the connection to
> KAdressbook, which already switched its storage system to be cached by the
> Akonadi server with its 4.6 release. With the 4.7 release this switch is
> also done for most of the remaining PIM applications (at least with KMail
> and KOrganizer). But as with this switch all storage access functionality
> moved from the KDEPIM applications to Akonadi, using KDEPIM without
> Akonadi is not possible.

Thanks Andreas for your explanation,

So, for users who would like to sync with Google Calendar/Contacts, should they wait until KDE 4.7
is available for Sid in order to use KDEPIM 4.7 (or maybe 4.6) an then be able to use the
CalDAV/CardDAV resources ?

But I'm still confused about the utility of dedicated Google Calendar/Contacts resources (based on
libgcal and googledata) in regards to the more generic CalDAV/CardDAV resources which could do the
same work (in a user point of view).

Thanks, Vincent.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Dietz Pröpper

Andreas Cord-Landwehr:
> On Sunday 21 August 2011 09:36:02 Dietz Pröpper wrote:
> > if I got that right, current (4.7) kdepim uses akonadi as a storage
> > backend for everything.
>
> Hi, that's the most common misunderstanding about the new KDEPIM
> structure: Akonadi is not the storage backend, it is a unifying cache
> for several storage backends with which applications can interact.

Thx for that clarification. Even though it confirms my fears.

> Afaik the vCalendar file storage backend and Maildir file structure
> backend are both supported by Akonadi resources as shipped with the
> current (current as in shipped with KDE SC 4.7, but not yet provided by
> Debian) KDEPIM releases. This allows easy adding of new resources for
> various backends like, e.g., a Facebook resource. [1], Yahoo calendar
> [2], Google calendar, eGroupware.

I don't need one of these. Google sync was a nice try, right now I'm
writing a Android sync that relies on something simple and not Google
based. No, will never go official, just for personal usage for the moment.
I only need a means to sync my phone to my desktop. Nothing more. And *no*
remote storage.

> Hence, this does not mean that the "old" storage resources will all
> vanish. For instance, I currently (running a self compiled KDEPIM 4.7)
> use an IMAP mail server, a vCalendar file, an addressbook as vCard
> directory, an eGroupware server for addressbook and calendar (by the
> Akonadi GroupDAV resource), and a Google calendar (by the Akonadi
> CalDAV resource).

Ack. That sounds pretty complex to me. May I send you a calendar invitation
with a funnily forged UUID and pwn u? ;-)

> The indexing and semantic desktop stuff then is a different topic: those
> things are done by the Nepomuk framework, feeding a big Virtuoso
> datasbase. For performance reasons it is possible to switch indexing of
> mails off (well, then tagging and full-text search in mails is also
> switched off).

Ack. Full text search is gone w/o akonadi integration? If I get that right,
either nepo or no indexing then that's quite a bummer for me. Sigh. And I
really loved kmail. Really. Good bye, old friend.
Even filter migration will be a nightmare. Why the fsck did I move away
from mutt 10 years ago?!

Of course I'll try on my own, wether it can still search in my 250000 msg
mail spool prior to abandoning ;-).

> Coming back to your questions: The reason why the currently with Debian
> shipped KMail application relies on Akonadi is afaik the connection to
> KAdressbook, which already switched its storage system to be cached by
> the Akonadi server with its 4.6 release. With the 4.7 release this
> switch is also done for most of the remaining PIM applications (at
> least with KMail and KOrganizer). But as with this switch all storage
> access functionality moved from the KDEPIM applications to Akonadi,
> using KDEPIM without Akonadi is not possible.

O-kay. That translates to me that I have to suffer a even worse severe
complexity explosion with future KDE. Sorry, but my head is a small one,
and I like to be able to keep understanding stuff I use there ;-).

Sigh. 3.5+x worked really nice, and now, after the worst bugs from KDE 4
went away, there is a whole lot of new hassles to expect. Time to go for
new, manageable pastures I fear.

No pun intended,
Dietz

Old 08-23-2011, 08:46 AM
BasaBuru

On Lunes, 22 de Agosto de 2011 23:38:40 Dietz Pröpper escribió:

> I don't need one of these. Google sync was a nice try, right now I'm
> writing a Android sync that relies on something simple and not Google
> based. No, will never go official, just for personal usage for the moment.
> I only need a means to sync my phone to my desktop. Nothing more. And *no*
> remote storage.

When you are publication the android sync? Is very interesting.

Thanks

BasaBuru

Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Dietz Pröpper

BasaBuru:
> On Lunes, 22 de Agosto de 2011 23:38:40 Dietz Pröpper escribió:
> > I don't need one of these. Google sync was a nice try, right now I'm
> > writing a Android sync that relies on something simple and not Google
> > based. No, will never go official, just for personal usage for the
> > moment. I only need a means to sync my phone to my desktop. Nothing
> > more. And *no* remote storage.
>
> When you are publication the android sync? Is very interesting.

Probably never.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
"Sylvain A."

Le mardi 23 août 2011 16:11:32, Dietz Pröpper a écrit :
> BasaBuru:
> > On Lunes, 22 de Agosto de 2011 23:38:40 Dietz Pröpper escribió:
> > > I don't need one of these. Google sync was a nice try, right now I'm
> > > writing a Android sync that relies on something simple and not Google
> > > based. No, will never go official, just for personal usage for the
> > > moment. I only need a means to sync my phone to my desktop. Nothing
> > > more. And *no* remote storage.
> >
> > When you are publication the android sync? Is very interesting.
>
> Probably never.
Hi all,

same problem here with kdepim 4.4 and akonadi_gcal_resource. I find a solution
by adding a standard kressource providing CalDAV support in kdepim 4.4. I just
install de deb package (kdepim-caldav_1.2.0-1_amd64.deb) availlable on
http://code.google.com/p/kcaldav/ and everything works like a charm (in both
ways)

Ewilly

Old 08-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Valerio Passini

Alle venerdì 26 agosto 2011, Sylvain A. ha scritto:
> Le mardi 23 août 2011 16:11:32, Dietz Pröpper a écrit :
> > BasaBuru:
> > >
> > > When you are publication the android sync? Is very interesting.
> >
> > Probably never.
>
> Hi all,
>
> same problem here with kdepim 4.4 and akonadi_gcal_resource. I find a
> solution by adding a standard kressource providing CalDAV support in
> kdepim 4.4. I just install de deb package
> (kdepim-caldav_1.2.0-1_amd64.deb) availlable on
> http://code.google.com/p/kcaldav/ and everything works like a charm
> (in both ways)
>
> Ewilly

Please, can you be more specific on the way you did the configuration?
The documentation provided by the plugin is not that much and I'm unable
to figure out how to make it work. Thank you

Valerio

Old 08-28-2011, 12:23 PM
"Sylvain A."

Le dimanche 28 août 2011 09:58:51, Valerio Passini a écrit :
> Alle venerdì 26 agosto 2011, Sylvain A. ha scritto:
> > Le mardi 23 août 2011 16:11:32, Dietz Pröpper a écrit :
> > > BasaBuru:

> > > Probably never.
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > same problem here with kdepim 4.4 and akonadi_gcal_resource. I find a
> > solution by adding a standard kressource providing CalDAV support in
> > kdepim 4.4. I just install de deb package
> > (kdepim-caldav_1.2.0-1_amd64.deb) availlable on
> > http://code.google.com/p/kcaldav/ and everything works like a charm
> > (in both ways)
> >
> > Ewilly
>
> Please, can you be more specific on the way you did the configuration?
> The documentation provided by the plugin is not that much and I'm unable
> to figure out how to make it work. Thank you
>
> Valerio

once the package is installed:
* add a CalDAV server (e.g. DAVical,...) in the Calendar's view of kontact
* as URL : https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/you@gmail.com/events/
* as user : you@gmail.com
* as pasword : your password for you@gmail.com

Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
Valerio Passini

Alle domenica 28 agosto 2011, Sylvain A. ha scritto:

> once the package is installed:
> * add a CalDAV server (e.g. DAVical,...) in the Calendar's view of
> kontact * as URL :
> https://www.google.com/calendar/dav/you@gmail.com/events/ * as user
> : you@gmail.com
> * as pasword : your password for you@gmail.com