Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Leopold Palomo Avellaneda

Default kde 4.6.4 backports

Hi,

someone is thinking to prepare some kind of backports of kde 4.6.4 to squeeze?

I'm just asking ....

Leo

Linux User 152692 PGP: 0xF944807E
Catalonia

Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 AM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On sekmadienis 03 Liepa 2011 14:09:50 Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> someone is thinking to prepare some kind of backports of kde 4.6.4 to
> squeeze?
>
> I'm just asking ....

At this point, Debian Qt/KDE team has no plans to backport neither this nor
any later version.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Hrvoje Senjan

Leo, i was able to backport KDE 4.6.x to Squeeze (did not change anything -
"only" needed to backport few other packages ie. Qt - it takes really long
time to compile ) so if you have the time , it's not impossible nor that

difficult to backport it

Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Xavier Brochard

Hrvoje Senjan wrote:
> Leo, i was able to backport KDE 4.6.x to Squeeze (did not change anything
> - "only" needed to backport few other packages ie. Qt - it takes really
> long time to compile ) so if you have the time , it's not impossible nor
> that difficult to backport it

I'm very interested about this as KDE in squeeze gives me a lot of problems
to solve (I have users on LTSP network).
Don't you have any problems with your backported packages, like missing
functionalisties, little bugs / annoyances because of backport, ...?
Is there something to improve in the backporting step?
Is QT 4.7 relly required?

xavier

Old 08-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Martin Alfke

Hi Xavier,

I have made _unofficial_ backports from wheezy KDE packages.
Unluckily i did not have the possibilty to test KDE 4.6 - I only testet fresh Installation on squeeze.
Packages are available on debian-desktop.org
There are also live iso images for amd64 and i386 which you should use to test functionality prior installing my packages on your workstation.

Please keep in mind: These are unofficial packages! Do not bother the debian KDE team when finding bugs or having trouble.

Kind regards,

Martin

Old 08-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Xavier Brochard

Hi Martin

Wow! thanks! I wouldn't have imagine that packages were available somewhere!
You should register on apt-get.org.

I am interested to help backport kde packages. I curently have access to a
dual AMD opteron, octo-core, 2,5GHz with 8 Giga of ram per CPU (16 Go in
total). The server is running latest stable AMD64. So I can compile!

How did you proceed to backport? Hrvoje Senjan said that basically he has
just taken the packages from testing and recompile them. Is that you have
done?

Best regards,
Xavier

Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Martin Alfke

Hi Xavier

On 06.08.2011, at 17:48, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:

> Hi Martin
>
> Wow! thanks! I wouldn't have imagine that packages were available somewhere!
> You should register on apt-get.org.

I already registered on apt-get.org.

> I am interested to help backport kde packages. I curently have access to a
> dual AMD opteron, octo-core, 2,5GHz with 8 Giga of ram per CPU (16 Go in
> total). The server is running latest stable AMD64. So I can compile!
>
> How did you proceed to backport? Hrvoje Senjan said that basically he has
> just taken the packages from testing and recompile them. Is that you have
> done?

I created a squeeze chroot installed build-essentials and devscripts and added the wheezy deb-src repository.

I then started with apt-get source qt4-x11, run dch-i for adding a changelog entry and used debuild -sa to created packages.
Some kde packages required newer versions of other dependencies which I backported in the same way.

On PowerPC architecture I am stuck due to some errors which I need to investigate.

Kind regards,

Martin

Old 08-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Leopold Palomo Avellaneda

A Friday 05 August 2011, Hrvoje Senjan va escriure:
> Leo, i was able to backport KDE 4.6.x to Squeeze (did not change anything -
> "only" needed to backport few other packages ie. Qt - it takes really long
> time to compile ) so if you have the time , it's not impossible nor that
> difficult to backport it

great,

thanks for the info. Do you have a list of the packages?

Leo

Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Xavier Brochard

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda wrote:
> A Friday 05 August 2011, Hrvoje Senjan va escriure:
>> Leo, i was able to backport KDE 4.6.x to Squeeze (did not change anything
>> - "only" needed to backport few other packages ie. Qt - it takes really
>> long time to compile ) so if you have the time , it's not impossible
>> nor that difficult to backport it
>
> great,
>
> thanks for the info. Do you have a list of the packages?

You can browse the public repository on
http://www.debian-desktop.org/pub/linux/
He backported most of standard kde available under the kde-full metapackage
on testing/unstable, plus dev and dbg packages.

xavier

Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Xavier Brochard

Hi Martin

Martin Alfke wrote:
> On 06.08.2011, at 17:48, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:
> I already registered on apt-get.org.

well, I didn't find your repository, because the description is a bit old
and not very accurate:
"KDE 4.2.4 backport from sid and pkg-qt-kde svn" and it was last checked
2010-10-26 (it shows only 4.2 packages).

I suggest you change for something like:
"KDE 4 backport from sid ... updated regurlarly"

>> How did you proceed to backport? Hrvoje Senjan said that basically he has
>> just taken the packages from testing and recompile them. Is that you have
>> done?
>
> I created a squeeze chroot installed build-essentials and devscripts and
> added the wheezy deb-src repository.
>
> I then started with apt-get source qt4-x11, run dch-i for adding a
> changelog entry and used debuild -sa to created packages. Some kde
> packages required newer versions of other dependencies which I backported
> in the same way.

So, it wasn't difficult and there were very few libraries compatibility
problems ?

> On PowerPC architecture I am stuck due to some errors which I need to
> investigate.

Unfortunatly, I can't help on this side. I'm not owning a PowerPc anymore

I am curious about some missing packages: was there compatibility problems
to not backport phonon-backend-gstreamer and plasma-widget-
networkmanagement?

regards
xavier