Old 07-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Michael Schuerig

Default Okular: print without scaling

Some time ago, Okular apparently has started to scale PDF documents on
printouts. That may be well-intentioned, but isn't such a good idea when
printing official forms. Adobe Reader has options to control scaling,
including one to turn it off. Are there similar settings somewhere in
Okular that I have just missed?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 07-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 2. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> Some time ago, Okular apparently has started to scale PDF documents on
> printouts. That may be well-intentioned, but isn't such a good idea
> when printing official forms. Adobe Reader has options to control
> scaling, including one to turn it off. Are there similar settings
> somewhere in Okular that I have just missed?

Hmmm, I never saw Okular scaling a PDF print here so far. Also I do not
see any settings related to scaling. Neither in Okular´s print dialog nor
in the driver related settings. I am using a HP OfficeJet 5610 with hplip.

So what ever lets PDF be scaled on your setup, it might not be Okular. Or
at least Okular doesn´t scale by default everywhere. Here it almost
certainly doesn´t.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Michael Schuerig

On Sunday 03 July 2011, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag, 2. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > Some time ago, Okular apparently has started to scale PDF documents
> > on printouts. That may be well-intentioned, but isn't such a good
> > idea when printing official forms. Adobe Reader has options to
> > control scaling, including one to turn it off. Are there similar
> > settings somewhere in Okular that I have just missed?
>
> Hmmm, I never saw Okular scaling a PDF print here so far. Also I do
> not see any settings related to scaling. Neither in Okular´s print
> dialog nor in the driver related settings. I am using a HP OfficeJet
> 5610 with hplip.

I'm printing on a Lexmark C544 using the Lexmark-provided PPD. Through
CUPS, of course.

The KDE print dialog does not contain anything related to scaling. The
printer properties accessible through this dialog just mirror the
settings contained in the PPD and there isn't anything related to
scaling either.

Another thing I forgot to mention: when I choose "Print to File (PDF)",
i.e., the PDF-printing provided by KDE, not CUPS, there is no scaling.
(CUPS PDF-printing just gives a blank page.)

> So what ever lets PDF be scaled on your setup, it might not be
> Okular. Or at least Okular doesn´t scale by default everywhere. Here
> it almost certainly doesn´t.

I was prepared to put the blame on the PPD or the printer. However,
Adobe Reader has no such problems when printing to the same printer and,
presumably, using the same PPD.

Michael

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Sonntag, 3. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > So what ever lets PDF be scaled on your setup, it might not be
> > Okular. Or at least Okular doesn´t scale by default everywhere. Here
> > it almost certainly doesn´t.
>
> I was prepared to put the blame on the PPD or the printer. However,
> Adobe Reader has no such problems when printing to the same printer
> and, presumably, using the same PPD.

Hmmm, then that might be something with your settings and Okular. Or a
different okular / KDE version. I am using KDE 4.6.3/4.6.4 stuff.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Old 07-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Thursday 07 July 2011, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 3. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:
> > > So what ever lets PDF be scaled on your setup, it might not be
> > > Okular. Or at least Okular doesn´t scale by default everywhere.
> > > Here it almost certainly doesn´t.
> >
> > I was prepared to put the blame on the PPD or the printer. However,
> > Adobe Reader has no such problems when printing to the same printer
> > and, presumably, using the same PPD.
>
> Hmmm, then that might be something with your settings and Okular. Or
> a different okular / KDE version. I am using KDE 4.6.3/4.6.4 stuff.

I have 4.6.4. I don't see any relevant setting neither in Okular nor
anywhere else.

Michael

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:

> > > I was prepared to put the blame on the PPD or the printer. However,
> > > Adobe Reader has no such problems when printing to the same printer
> > > and, presumably, using the same PPD.
> >
> > Hmmm, then that might be something with your settings and Okular. Or
> > a different okular / KDE version. I am using KDE 4.6.3/4.6.4 stuff.
>
> I have 4.6.4. I don't see any relevant setting neither in Okular nor
> anywhere else.

When then I am stuck. No idea.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011 schrieb Michael Schuerig:

> > > I was prepared to put the blame on the PPD or the printer. However,
> > > Adobe Reader has no such problems when printing to the same printer
> > > and, presumably, using the same PPD.
> >
> > Hmmm, then that might be something with your settings and Okular. Or
> > a different okular / KDE version. I am using KDE 4.6.3/4.6.4 stuff.
>
> I have 4.6.4. I don't see any relevant setting neither in Okular nor
> anywhere else.

When then I am stuck. No idea.