Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Michael Schuerig

Default On-screen display popup during DVD viewing

When I'm watching DVDs with vlc, at regular intervals an OSD popup
appears. It looks similar to the volume popup, but has another icon that
looks like a monitor. The same popup sometimes appears before the
screensaver is activated and after it is deactivated.

In the case of vlc, the popup might be triggered by a periodic event
fired to prevent the screensaver from activating while a video is being
shown.

At any rate, I'd like to get rid of the popup. Does anyone know how to?

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:michael@schuerig.de

Old 06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Josep Febrer

A Divendres, 17 de juny de 2011 19:16:27, Michael Schuerig va escriure:
> When I'm watching DVDs with vlc, at regular intervals an OSD popup
> appears. It looks similar to the volume popup, but has another icon that
> looks like a monitor. The same popup sometimes appears before the
> screensaver is activated and after it is deactivated.
>
> In the case of vlc, the popup might be triggered by a periodic event
> fired to prevent the screensaver from activating while a video is being
> shown.
>
> At any rate, I'd like to get rid of the popup. Does anyone know how to?

Perhaps you can send a screenshot when this popup appears, in this way it will
be much easier to help you.

To do it just press the PrintScreen key and ksnapshot will appear with the
screenshot, you just have to press the save button.

Best regards,

Josep

Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Friday 17 June 2011, Josep Febrer wrote:
> A Divendres, 17 de juny de 2011 19:16:27, Michael Schuerig va
escriure:
> > When I'm watching DVDs with vlc, at regular intervals an OSD popup
> > appears. It looks similar to the volume popup, but has another icon
> > that looks like a monitor. The same popup sometimes appears before
> > the screensaver is activated and after it is deactivated.
> >
> > In the case of vlc, the popup might be triggered by a periodic
> > event fired to prevent the screensaver from activating while a
> > video is being shown.
> >
> > At any rate, I'd like to get rid of the popup. Does anyone know how
> > to?
>
> Perhaps you can send a screenshot when this popup appears, in this
> way it will be much easier to help you.

Here is the relevant bit:

http://www.schuerig.de/michael/kde-osd.png

Michael

Old 06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Juan Carlos Romero

That's the brightness control.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201106172116.37608.michael.lists@schuerig.de

--
Nos vemos en los bares.
J. Carlos

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Friday 17 June 2011, Juan Carlos Romero wrote:
> That's the brightness control.

Any idea, why it appears when I don't call for it? Event better, how to
stop it doing this?

I have already tried setting the global shortcuts for decrease/increase
brightness to "none", but that didn't help.

Michael

Old 06-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 18/06/11 03:16, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> When I'm watching DVDs with vlc, at regular intervals an OSD popup
> appears. It looks similar to the volume popup, but has another icon that
> looks like a monitor. The same popup sometimes appears before the
> screensaver is activated and after it is deactivated.
>
> In the case of vlc, the popup might be triggered by a periodic event
> fired to prevent the screensaver from activating while a video is being
> shown.
>
> At any rate, I'd like to get rid of the popup. Does anyone know how to?
>
> Michael

Check your hotkey settings for VLC. "Display OSD menu on top of video
output" is Alt+Shift+m, unset as default, "Do not display OSD menu on
video output" is Ctrl+Alt+m, unset as default. You may have
inadvertently set and trigger those.
Also:-
Under "Videos/Subtitles/OSD" try unticking "On Screen Display" and check
that "Overlays"/"On Screen Display Menu" is not ticked.

Cheers

--
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it
comes out.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Juan Carlos Romero

Perhaps is power management lowering your monitor brightness when no activity noted.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DFC1099.5060701@gmail.com

--
Nos vemos en los bares.
J. Carlos

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Michael Schuerig

On Saturday 18 June 2011, Juan Carlos Romero wrote:
> Perhaps is power management lowering your monitor brightness when no
> activity noted.

Yes, apparently that's what it was. Disabling "Dim Display" in all
relevant power management profiles got rid of the popup.

Thanks everyone.

Michael