-   -   KDE4.6.3: Plasma panels settings mangled after restarting (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/538034-kde4-6-3-plasma-panels-settings-mangled-after-restarting.html)

Andrej Kacian 06-10-2011 05:19 PM

KDE4.6.3: Plasma panels settings mangled after restarting

Hello all,

I have recently upgraded to KDE 4.6 on wheezy, and I'm pleasantly surprised at
how much faster and less buggy the environment is.

However, among few bugs which annoy me is that after I set up my panels the
way I want them, KDE keeps changing their position and settings after I log
out and log back in.

State after login just now: http://bayimg.com/DaiPIAadi

The way it was before: http://bayimg.com/DAiPjAAdI
(the bottom bar is aligned to the left, wide only for the three icons and set
to autohide, so it's not visible)

Is there anything I can do to make this stop (apart from filing a bug) ?

TIA,
--
Andrej Kacian

Martin Steigerwald 06-10-2011 05:52 PM

Am Freitag, 10. Juni 2011 schrieb Andrej Kacian:
> Hello all,

Hi Andrej,

> I have recently upgraded to KDE 4.6 on wheezy, and I'm pleasantly
> surprised at how much faster and less buggy the environment is.
>
> However, among few bugs which annoy me is that after I set up my panels
> the way I want them, KDE keeps changing their position and settings
> after I log out and log back in.
>
> State after login just now: http://bayimg.com/DaiPIAadi
>
> The way it was before: http://bayimg.com/DAiPjAAdI
> (the bottom bar is aligned to the left, wide only for the three icons
> and set to autohide, so it's not visible)

I have then the main panel in the middle of the screens once, too. But
usually KDE 4.6.3 seems to remember stuff quite good. Except that when I
play a game in full screen mode the active window on each activity gets
maximized.

Especially Plasma applets tend to remember where I put them now.

> Is there anything I can do to make this stop (apart from filing a bug)
> ?

I think, filing the bug on http://bugs.kde.org (not a debian bug or not
primarily at least) is the only way to possibly get something done about
it.

Ciao,

Beojan Stanislaus 06-10-2011 06:07 PM

On Friday 10 June 2011 18:52:29 Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Freitag, 10. Juni 2011 schrieb Andrej Kacian:

> > Hello all,

> Hi Andrej,

> > I have recently upgraded to KDE 4.6 on wheezy, and I'm pleasantly

> > surprised at how much faster and less buggy the environment is.

> > However, among few bugs which annoy me is that after I set up my panels

> > the way I want them, KDE keeps changing their position and settings

> > after I log out and log back in.

> > State after login just now: http://bayimg.com/DaiPIAadi

> > The way it was before: http://bayimg.com/DAiPjAAdI

> > (the bottom bar is aligned to the left, wide only for the three icons

> > and set to autohide, so it's not visible)

> I have then the main panel in the middle of the screens once, too. But

> usually KDE 4.6.3 seems to remember stuff quite good. Except that when I

> play a game in full screen mode the active window on each activity gets

> maximized.

> Especially Plasma applets tend to remember where I put them now.

> > Is there anything I can do to make this stop (apart from filing a bug)

> > ?

> I think, filing the bug on http://bugs.kde.org (not a debian bug or not

> primarily at least) is the only way to possibly get something done about

> it.

> Ciao,

I get this bug too, and since kde won't logout for some reason (clicking logout does nothing), it appears the panel position doesn't get saved properly when I move it back where it should be.

Federico Brega 06-11-2011 12:47 PM

KDE4.6.3: Plasma panels settings mangled after restarting

Hello,

after upgrading KDE in testing my only panel, disappeared. It was a
vertical panel on the left side of the screen.
It is still somewhere but it is just hidden or out of the screen.
After I added a standard panel, notifications were shown twice (near
the system tray and in the upper left corner) and akregator weren't
displayed in the system tray.
Also some items in system tray configuration were shown twice.
I removed every panel using "console desktop" and the script found at
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=89940.

I'd preferred to have my panel deleted instead of irreversibly hidden.

Probably this issue will affect next stable upgrade.

Cheers
--
federico

Andrej Kacian 06-29-2011 10:35 PM

KDE4.6.3: Plasma panels settings mangled after restarting

On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:19:56 +0200
Andrej Kacian <andrej+debian@kacian.sk> wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I have recently upgraded to KDE 4.6 on wheezy, and I'm pleasantly surprised at
>how much faster and less buggy the environment is.
>
>However, among few bugs which annoy me is that after I set up my panels the
>way I want them, KDE keeps changing their position and settings after I log
>out and log back in.
>
>State after login just now: http://bayimg.com/DaiPIAadi
>
>The way it was before: http://bayimg.com/DAiPjAAdI
>(the bottom bar is aligned to the left, wide only for the three icons and set
>to autohide, so it's not visible)
>
>Is there anything I can do to make this stop (apart from filing a bug) ?
>
>TIA,

I decided to ditch all my KDE configuration and start fresh (deleted ~/.kde
and various ~/.config subdirectories). After I configured panels like I had
them before, they manage to survive logout and login just fine.

Perhaps it was some artifact of upgrade from KDE 4.4 - I have no idea,
really. :)

--
Andrej Kacian

Scott Ferguson 06-30-2011 03:10 AM

On 30/06/11 08:35, Andrej Kacian wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:19:56 +0200
> Andrej Kacian <andrej+debian@kacian.sk> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have recently upgraded to KDE 4.6 on wheezy, and I'm pleasantly surprised at
>> how much faster and less buggy the environment is.
>>
>> However, among few bugs which annoy me is that after I set up my panels the
>> way I want them, KDE keeps changing their position and settings after I log
>> out and log back in.
>>
>> State after login just now: http://bayimg.com/DaiPIAadi
>>
>> The way it was before: http://bayimg.com/DAiPjAAdI
>> (the bottom bar is aligned to the left, wide only for the three icons and set
>> to autohide, so it's not visible)
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to make this stop (apart from filing a bug) ?
>>
>> TIA,
>
> I decided to ditch all my KDE configuration and start fresh (deleted ~/.kde
> and various ~/.config subdirectories). After I configured panels like I had
> them before, they manage to survive logout and login just fine.
>
> Perhaps it was some artifact of upgrade from KDE 4.4 - I have no idea,
> really. :)

I've had a similar problem resolved that way in the past (hotkey settings).
Just renaming ~/.config (eg .config.old) will do the same thing - with
the advantage that afterwards you can compare to find out where the
problem was. In my case it was just a file permission.

Cheers

--
"I just have one of those faces.
People come up to me and say, "What's wrong?"