Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Robert van den Berg

Default Implications for Debian KDE of KDE announcement "Deprecation of phonon-backend-xine"

Hi all,

I received an announcement by the KDE-announce mailing list that "the Xine
backend for Phonon is [...] deprecated and that the only backends people
should be using are VLC and GStreamer". (see: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-
announce&m=130744384419151&w=2)

I was wondering what the implications for Debian KDE will be as, at least in
Wheezy, we still seem to have Xine.

Cheers,

Robert

Old 06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On trečiadienis 08 Birželis 2011 22:43:12 Robert van den Berg wrote:
> I received an announcement by the KDE-announce mailing list that "the Xine
> backend for Phonon is [...] deprecated and that the only backends people
> should be using are VLC and GStreamer". (see: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-
> announce&m=130744384419151&w=2)
>
> I was wondering what the implications for Debian KDE will be as, at least
> in Wheezy, we still seem to have Xine.

We have already deprecated Xine backend even before this announcement. VLC is
a new default [1].

[1] http://packages.debian.org/sid/phonon

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>