Old 11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda

Default Upgrading to squeeze

Hi,

I hope that soon Squeeze will be released. I'm a fit afraid because I have
found that in all the boxes that I have upgraded from lenny to squeeze, kde
have not been working perfectly.

The issues are not "critical" issues, but they are the classical stupid things
that destroy the hard word done before. The migration software, just works.

What kind of issues? where I asked before in the list. For example, in all the
boxes that I have upgraded the lock out/poweroff icon have disappeared.

Also, the poweroff, from the desktop doesn't work very well, and many times I
must poweroff invoking it in the konsole. And, in general, the feeling that
it doesn't work so well. The same box, upgrading from zero, works quiet well.

In others boxes, I have though many times to reinstall the whole system,
because kde4. So, my question are about the upgrading. Do you have some plan
to test an upgrade to Squeeze? do you recommend to reinstall all? or/
uninstall kde and after upgrade?

Best regards,

Leo

Old 11-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Edson Marquezani Filho

> In others boxes, I have though many times to reinstall the whole system,
> because kde4. So, my question are about the upgrading. Do you have some plan
> to test an upgrade to Squeeze? do you recommend to reinstall all? or/
> uninstall kde and after upgrade?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Leo

The latest release news on debian-devel-announce[1] encourages
everyone who can do it, to help on testing upgrade cases, and
reporting found bugs, like those you are telling us. Maybe you could
help this way.

Particurlaly, I preffer to reinstall my whole system when a new
release comes out, once Debian isn't, strictly speaking, a
roling-distro yet ( altough it could be used almost it actualy would
be ). But, an upgrade should be always possible without major issues,
I guess.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2010/11/msg00006.html

Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Montag 15 November 2010 schrieb Edson Marquezani Filho:
> Particurlaly, I preffer to reinstall my whole system when a new
> release comes out, once Debian isn't, strictly speaking, a
> roling-distro yet ( altough it could be used almost it actualy would
> be ). But, an upgrade should be always possible without major issues,
> I guess.

I upgraded three boxes, and this worked quite nice, but only one of them
was a Lenny-Squeeze-Update, the other where a mix of
squeeze/sid/experimental already. I even let KDE 4 read and change my old
KDE 3 settings - after a backup. I just reseted some KDE mostly appearance
related settings to the default, since some defaults from KDE 3 didn't
match an optimal KDE 4 experience. I also changed directory mime type to
open with Dolphin instead of Konqueror.