-   -   Great value maybe. handheld computer + phone @ RadioShack $200 only til Nov 20? $25/m unlimited internet; jor (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-kde/452675-great-value-maybe-handheld-computer-phone-radioshack-200-only-til-nov-20-25-m-unlimited-internet-jor.html)

"giovanni_re" 11-15-2010 07:45 AM

Great value maybe. handheld computer + phone @ RadioShack $200 only til Nov 20? $25/m unlimited internet; jor

Is there debian-KDE for handheld computers like the below?:

=
I just bought a new computer, Samsung Intercept (SI) handheld computer
with touch screen & kbd, $200 new product offering (will go to $250 on
Nov 20?) at Radio Shack (RS).

I'm in the San Francisco, California, USA area.

It has Virgin Mobil (VM) cell phone access (Sprint owns the VM system in
USA).

I have 30 days to decide to keep or return it.

Runs Android.

Could be a superb value, with unlimited internet at $25/m from VM, which
includes 300 minutes talk time. Unlimited
talk over wifi through Google talk. IIRC, 1200min talk for $40.

Might be a great value for the budget minded, like students. If you're
interested, get to Radio Shack right away cause the discount intro
pricing ends soon.

=
Two main questions I'm currently looking for answers to:

1) How can I tether a laptop through wifi to the SI through VM to the
internet?
1b) Tethering via USB would be better, but IIRC I heard somewhere that
teth via USB is impossible with Android. Any way to get USB tethering
working under Android?

2) What is the GNU(Linux) way to use this computer? What distro should
I put on it? Is there an Ubuntu or Debian distro for handheld computers
like this?
2b) Any suggestions about getting root & howto put a G(L) distro on?
2c) Should I merely get root, & leave the Android system on?

The user interface seems to lack organization, lacking a nicely
organized application grouping. It just has about 20 icons for
different programs.

Runs Android 2.1. The RS (IIRC) sales guy said Samsung doesn't have 2.2
on any Samsung phones yet, although 2.2 has been out for about 6 months.

If I should leave Android on it, what might I do about it not having 2.2
available? Is that of much importance?

Any GNU(Linux) handheld computer users on this list?

Thanks. :)

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via voice, about all Free SW HW & Culture

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 11-15-2010 06:47 PM

Great value maybe. handheld computer + phone @ RadioShack $200 only til Nov 20? $25/m unlimited internet; jor

In <1289810794.3085.1405309175@webmail.messagingengin e.com>, giovanni_re
wrote:
>Is there debian for handheld computers like the below?:

[...]
>Runs Android.

Well, that means at some point in the future you will probably be able to get
source code to the custom kernel that is running on it. Likely no source code
for any closed modules required to drive the CDMA hardware.

If you are willing to use the device without those modules, it would probably
be possible to use Debian on it with a custom kernel. That said, some of the
software stack that came out of the OpenMoko project might be better.

If you the device is not useful to you without those closed modules, you are
as pwned using Android as you are using MS Windows Mobile or iOS. You'll only
be able to get software upgrades from the manufacturer of the device, and they
will likely stop publishing them as soon as sales start falling off.

>Two main questions I'm currently looking for answers to:
>
>1) How can I tether a laptop through wifi to the SI through VM to the
>internet?
>1b) Tethering via USB would be better, but IIRC I heard somewhere that
>teth via USB is impossible with Android. Any way to get USB tethering
>working under Android?

I can get my Android to show up as an USB-networking device, but I didn't pay
for the tethering option, so there's an authentication step that fails when
the phone is going into tethering mode. While the error dialog is up, USB-
networking seems to be functional locally, but the phone don't act as an
Internet gateway.

>2) What is the GNU(Linux) way to use this computer? What distro should
>I put on it? Is there an Ubuntu or Debian distro for handheld computers
>like this?
>2b) Any suggestions about getting root & howto put a G(L) distro on?
>2c) Should I merely get root, & leave the Android system on?

See above. Android is Linux, but not much GNU. Debian can work, but
distribution(s) spawned from the OpenMoko software stack is(/are) probably
better. You may be giving up use of some of the features by using anything
other than the manufacturer-provided firmware.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))